Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BALS(PSY)
hi everyone!

As per your earlier advice to my post regarding switching from B.A. Psych to BALS (PSYCH). I want to inform you that I did switch to BALS since I already have an international B.A. in Sociology, (but it's too old to have it transferred). Currently, on my new BALS journey, I have stalled due to covid-19 this past few months and feel overwhelmed with the coursework and am looking to hopefully refocus and complete my degree by next March 2023. 

I have 72 credits more to go and my advisor has sent me the following list. I would like to know which institution or community college you all found to be easier and cheaper to complete the upper-level courses and where was it bearable to complete the more boring classes like ethics or philosophy, oral communication, etc.  Here is the list that I need to work on. Appreciate all your advice and guidance.  Heart

My advisor sent this reply to my query as to what courses remain for me.
Students are permitted to transfer in a maximum of 90 noncollegiate credit hours (credits derived from an advisor-approved source listed on TESU's Approved Provider Directory, https://www.tesu.edu/degree-completion/p...-directory).  Additionally, students are permitted to transfer a maximum of 90 advisor-approved credit hours from a junior or community college.  In this case, you currently have 30 noncollegiate credit hours applied and 0 community college credit hours applied towards your program. 

As it stands, you have 72 credit hours remaining in the BA in Liberal Studies with a concentration in Psychology.  The remaining course requirements consist of the following:

1. English Composition I | coursework planned -  Working on it for the past few months through Sophia
2. English Composition II | coursework planned  -  Working on it for the past few months through Sophia
3. One (1) Oral Communications Elective | coursework planned
4. Critical Information Literacy (SOS-110, in-progress)
5. One (1) Ethical Leadership Elective | coursework planned
6. One (1) Civic Engagement Elective | coursework planned
7. Three (3) Human Cultures Electives | coursework planned
8. Five (5) General Education Electives.  These courses are selected from the natural science, mathematics, social sciences or humanities | coursework planned
9. Developmental Psychology | coursework planned
10. Abnormal Psychology (PSY-350) -  I took it earlier through TECEP and could not clear it.
11. Introduction to Social Psychology (PSY-370)
12. Psychology or Personality (PSY-352)
13. Organizational Theory (PSY-360) -OR- Industrial Psychology (PSY-363)
13. History and Systems of Psychology | coursework planned
14. Four (4) Free Electives.  These courses are selected from any subject and at any level (barring duplicate courses) | coursework planned
15. Liberal Arts Capstone (LIB-495) | this course is intended to be taken during your final term, and requires at least 100 credit hours applied towards your program as well as an academic advising appointment prior to registration.

In addition, have recently started the Google Careers Certificate program for UI/UX which according to Google and Ace recommendations gives 10 credits that are transferable. I am yet to receive a response confirming this from TESU. Hopefully tomorrow I will have an answer if it is a yes or no. Keeping my fingers crossed.  I have also enrolled in TECEP  Medical Terminology for 1 Cr. for Aug2022.

Thanks!
TESU will probably give you a few elective credits for the Google certificate.

What do you mean by "it's too old to have it transferred"?
Ongoing: MLIS

June 2022, Thomas Edison State University (TESU): Second degree - BA in Computer Science + ASNSM in Mathematics + Cert. in CIS + Cert. in Operations Mgmt.
e-Packs: Computer Concepts; Industrial Psych.
Guided Study: Comp. Architecture
Online: Intro. to PLA; Database Mgmt.; Software Eng.; Data Structures; Liberal Arts Capstone; DSI-610 (Statistics.com)

May 2019, a residential, RA institution: BA in Political Science and Educational Studies
Relevant equivalencies: MAT-321; MAT-431; STA-315
(07-25-2022, 08:25 PM)carrythenothing Wrote: What do you mean by "it's too old to have it transferred"?

I was just going to ask the same thing.  TESU has no time limit on credits for the BALS - I transferred in 30 year old credits with no problems at all.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
"What do you mean by "it's too old to have it transferred"?  

Well, I did not want to get into many details but I got my B.A. from an old college that does not exist anymore and my communication with the department of education too did not fare well as they said they could not help. So am having to take the degree again. Currently, I have moved on from my predicament and now am enjoying the process of getting a degree through TESU. However, now I am seeking help to navigate through the courses and find a quicker way to complete them so that I can pursue my next step of getting into master's, etc.

Hope you can help.

Thanks!
Assuming it was a legitimate/accredited school within your country, you should find out where the records would now be stored. If a course-by-course evaluation from one of the evaluators in the catalog determines that your degree is equivalent to a 4-year RA degree, you won't need to complete the general education requirements or free electives.
Ongoing: MLIS

June 2022, Thomas Edison State University (TESU): Second degree - BA in Computer Science + ASNSM in Mathematics + Cert. in CIS + Cert. in Operations Mgmt.
e-Packs: Computer Concepts; Industrial Psych.
Guided Study: Comp. Architecture
Online: Intro. to PLA; Database Mgmt.; Software Eng.; Data Structures; Liberal Arts Capstone; DSI-610 (Statistics.com)

May 2019, a residential, RA institution: BA in Political Science and Educational Studies
Relevant equivalencies: MAT-321; MAT-431; STA-315
(07-25-2022, 08:20 PM)ragkrish Wrote: hi everyone!

As per your earlier advice to my post regarding switching from B.A. Psych to BALS (PSYCH). I want to inform you that I did switch to BALS since I already have an international B.A. in Sociology, (but it's too old to have it transferred). Currently, on my new BALS journey, I have stalled due to covid-19 this past few months and feel overwhelmed with the coursework and am looking to hopefully refocus and complete my degree by next March 2023. 

I have 72 credits more to go and my advisor has sent me the following list. I would like to know which institution or community college you all found to be easier and cheaper to complete the upper-level courses and where was it bearable to complete the more boring classes like ethics or philosophy, oral communication, etc.  Here is the list that I need to work on. Appreciate all your advice and guidance.  Heart

Students are permitted to transfer in a maximum of 90 noncollegiate credit hours (credits derived from an advisor-approved source listed on TESU's Approved Provider Directory, https://www.tesu.edu/degree-completion/p...-directory).  Additionally, students are permitted to transfer a maximum of 90 advisor-approved credit hours from a junior or community college.  In this case, you currently have 30 noncollegiate credit hours applied and 0 community college credit hours applied towards your program. 

As it stands, you have 72 credit hours remaining in the BA in Liberal Studies with a concentration in Psychology.  The remaining course requirements consist of the following:

1. English Composition I | coursework planned -  Working on it for the past few months through Sophia
2. English Composition II | coursework planned  -  Working on it for the past few months through Sophia
8. Five (5) General Education Electives.  These courses are selected from the natural science, mathematics, social sciences or humanities | coursework planned
10. Abnormal Psychology (PSY-350) -  I took it earlier through TECEP and could not clear it.
14. Four (4) Free Electives.  These courses are selected from any subject and at any level (barring duplicate courses) | coursework planned
15. Liberal Arts Capstone (LIB-495) | this course is intended to be taken during your final term, and requires at least 100 credit hours applied towards your program as well as an academic advising appointment prior to registration.

In addition, have recently started the Google Careers Certificate program for UI/UX which according to Google and Ace recommendations gives 10 credits that are transferable. I am yet to receive a response confirming this from TESU. Hopefully tomorrow I will have an answer if it is a yes or no. Keeping my fingers crossed.  I have also enrolled in TECEP  Medical Terminology for 1 Cr. for Aug2022.

Thanks!
I recently completed this program. My opinion, do as many credits with Sophia as you can. I took 19 courses with Sophia, 5 courses with study.com, and 2 courses with coppersmiths, all done in months. You should be able to pull off a few of theSophia courses in 2 to 3 days. In total,  it took almost as long doing the capstone and waiting for graduation than doing the entire program.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Dumber's post:
  • ragkrish
(07-26-2022, 09:16 AM)Dumber Wrote:
(07-25-2022, 08:20 PM)ragkrish Wrote: hi everyone!

Thanks!
I recently completed this program. My opinion, do as many credits with Sophia as you can. I took 19 courses with Sophia, 5 courses with study.com, and 2 courses with coppersmiths, all done in months. You should be able to pull off a few of theSophia courses in 2 to 3 days. In total,  it took almost as long doing the capstone and waiting for graduation than doing the entire program.

Is any particular course on the Psychology subject from Study.com that is without proctoring? Sophia,  yes I have been trying to complete some courses through them.  Thanks for your input!
All of Study.com courses are proctored. Study.com uses a recorded proctor. There is nobody watching you take the exam, but a video is made to be reviewed later.

Coopersmith uses a live proctor. Someone is watching you take the exam. Some people have no technical issues with Coopersmith, others have nothing but problems and get disconnected, even on a very good connection.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(07-26-2022, 08:44 AM)carrythenothing Wrote: Assuming it was a legitimate/accredited school within your country, you should find out where the records would now be stored. If a course-by-course evaluation from one of the evaluators in the catalog determines that your degree is equivalent to a 4-year RA degree, you won't need to complete the general education requirements or free electives.

No, I did a 3-year bachelor's degree, and to be honest, as I am doing the bachelor's program through TESU and also watching my college-going kid studying through their university,  I realize that the depth and variety of subjects that are offered here in the universities are far more fun, in-depth, practically useful and very exciting. I am honestly enjoying and do not have any regret about having to retake my B.A. degree. It may be a long route but the knowledge I am getting is satisfying because I have always been interested in gaining knowledge in psychology. Back in the day pursuing, a B.A. in psychology or sociology was frowned upon, especially in India. I was always told to get into computers but I refused to become a sheep.  Now thankfully things are different and everyone is into Psychology and sociology.

Yes, am taking my own time because, in the long run, I plan to utilize all this knowledge with more maturity than when I was  young and simply did the local college degree that was offered and wanted to stay away from computers. Now, although I do not have the time but do see a greater value in the topics am learning more than in my younger days. Interestingly am into computers as well and now there is a bigger possibility with Psychology and computer education.
[-] The following 2 users Like ragkrish's post:
  • carrythenothing, rachel83az
@ragkrish, my goodness, so much has changed since the last time we chat. So, you did change the degree program from Psych to BALS-Psych... have you taken the SOS-110 or are you in progress and working on it now? The courses you have listed there can be completed mainly with Sophia.org/Study.com and to get the RA credits, TECEPS (I suggest doing all lower level TECEPS as it's cheaper/easier). Did you take a look at the wiki for a TESU BALS Pysch plan?
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • ragkrish

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Confusion about BALS with concentration transcript Raine 5 433 08-23-2023, 08:13 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  BALS Concentration/GE Questions PLEX 3 434 06-30-2023, 11:25 AM
  BALS Natural Sciences/Mathematics Clarification ACR1200 14 1,174 06-12-2023, 05:41 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  need help designing TESU BALS degree plan ece2001biz 8 1,119 02-06-2023, 12:09 PM
  Capstone BAlS desoren 6 991 06-10-2022, 02:41 PM
  Upper Level Options - BALS BSBRose21 13 1,649 05-21-2022, 05:46 PM
Last Post: BSBRose21
  BALS concentration or no Concentration desoren 4 933 09-27-2021, 08:48 AM
Last Post: desoren
  BALS - Humanities - Course suggestions Learnfordegree 13 2,013 09-23-2021, 09:08 AM
Last Post: Learnfordegree
  495 capstone BALS vs BA Mitmike2019 9 1,241 08-11-2021, 07:02 AM
Last Post: allvia
  SDC Ethics in Social Sciences or Coopersmith Ethics for BALS requirement? studyingfortests 6 833 08-09-2021, 10:23 AM