Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BLS in MIS minor
Hi All, 

Is there any list available for course wise credit can be earned/completed for Bachelor of Liberal Studies - Management Information Systems Minor?

Thanks, 
James
(06-09-2021, 02:16 PM)NewatTESU Wrote: Hi All, 

Is there any list available for course wise credit can be earned/completed for Bachelor of Liberal Studies - Management Information Systems Minor?

Thanks, 
James

Like I said in the pm, everything from Sophia except Eng Comp 1 & 2 and the foundations courses. Spanish 1 and American Government on InstantCert and Biology 101L on Study.com. Then you'll complete your MIS courses, Eng Comp, and UL courses at UMPI.
[-] The following 3 users Like ss20ts's post:
  • Holmes, NewatTESU, rachel83az
(06-09-2021, 02:25 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(06-09-2021, 02:16 PM)NewatTESU Wrote: Hi All, 

Thanks, 
James

Like I said in the pm, everything from Sophia except Eng Comp 1 & 2 and the foundations courses. Spanish 1 and American Government on InstantCert and Biology 101L on Study.com. Then you'll complete your MIS courses, Eng Comp, and UL courses at UMPI.

Thank you ! I saw it now.
BTW, if you're even halfway thinking about also doing the Project Management minor at UMPI, don't take Project Management at Sophia.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(06-09-2021, 03:40 PM)rachel83az Wrote: BTW, if you're even halfway thinking about also doing the Project Management minor at UMPI, don't take Project Management at Sophia.

Sure!

Sent from my iPhone using DegreeForum.net
So, if you're not taking the BLS an Project Management minor, you should or should not take the Sophia.org PM course? Does it conflict with anything? If someone has done the course, can they just ask UMPI to not evaluate it or tell them they want to take the course with them again?
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
If you're not doing Project Management, it's my understanding that it's fine to take Project Management at Sophia. But, if you do take the Project Management major/minor, it actually makes things more difficult at UMPI because you need the work from the class that it comes in as in order to complete UL coursework.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(06-12-2021, 07:06 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: So, if you're not taking the BLS an Project Management minor, you should or should not take the Sophia.org PM course?  Does it conflict with anything?  If someone has done the course, can they just ask UMPI to not evaluate it or tell them they want to take the course with them again?

Sophia's class is not the PMI method for project management. UMPI follows PMI's methodology. Intro to Project Management at UMPI is needed for the UL PM courses which are projects following the format and template you create in the intro class. If you don't take the intro class and learn the format and create your template, you have to learn that for the 2 400 level courses and these are BIG projects for the Final Assessment. I took intro to pm at CSU Global and still requested to take UMPI's course because I thought I would learn MS Project but I didn't, but I did learn more about pm from the course. Little did I know I was learning the format and template I would need later. I was not a PM minor then. I was an MIS minor then and added PM after taking the intro course. 

My recommendation to take Intro to PM at UMPI has nothing to do with evaluating a PM course. It does not conflict with anything. It has to do with making the Final Assessment MUCH easier thus faster. If you have to learn the format and create the template - which you won't know if you did it correctly until you submit your rough draft and it comes back - then you will be spending a great deal of time on those 2 courses which are required for the PM minor.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • jch
(06-12-2021, 10:55 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(06-12-2021, 07:06 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: So, if you're not taking the BLS an Project Management minor, you should or should not take the Sophia.org PM course?  Does it conflict with anything?  If someone has done the course, can they just ask UMPI to not evaluate it or tell them they want to take the course with them again?

Sophia's class is not the PMI method for project management. UMPI follows PMI's methodology. Intro to Project Management at UMPI is needed for the UL PM courses which are projects following the format and template you create in the intro class. If you don't take the intro class and learn the format and create your template, you have to learn that for the 2 400 level courses and these are BIG projects for the Final Assessment. I took intro to pm at CSU Global and still requested to take UMPI's course because I thought I would learn MS Project but I didn't, but I did learn more about pm from the course. Little did I know I was learning the format and template I would need later. I was not a PM minor then. I was an MIS minor then and added PM after taking the intro course. 

My recommendation to take Intro to PM at UMPI has nothing to do with evaluating a PM course. It does not conflict with anything. It has to do with making the Final Assessment MUCH easier thus faster. If you have to learn the format and create the template - which you won't know if you did it correctly until you submit your rough draft and it comes back - then you will be spending a great deal of time on those 2 courses which are required for the PM minor.

Honestly, sometimes the UMPI threads feel like listening to a (long-winded) politician, where they answer the question they wish they had been asked, and not the ones which were actually asked.
(06-13-2021, 01:23 AM)innen_oda Wrote: Honestly, sometimes the UMPI threads feel like listening to a (long-winded) politician, where they answer the question they wish they had been asked, and not the ones which were actually asked.

Rude much? You're always free to scroll on by. There were multiple questions asked and answered.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is a philosophy minor possible at UMPI? LevelUP 8 94 8 hours ago
Last Post: LevelUP
  Undergraduate Degree Liberal Studies w/ a Minor in Psychology molov 4 231 04-21-2024, 10:52 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  UMPI YourPace BLS w/ Management Minor Reference Plan valentvne 6 312 04-21-2024, 10:23 PM
Last Post: colonelcamp
  Is a Criminal Justice Minor Possible? Marlin9276 3 195 04-13-2024, 09:13 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  BLS Management Minor Degree Plan mohelena02 4 417 04-12-2024, 10:19 AM
Last Post: mohelena02
  UMPI Minor Question WayToGoGrad 6 329 04-09-2024, 09:46 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  BLS with a minor in Information Systems or BBA PM & IS ZO10 23 1,036 03-28-2024, 04:36 PM
Last Post: Tomas
  Educational Studies Minor Adrian245 11 1,750 03-26-2024, 11:58 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  UMPI BLS Minor Business theea 5 397 03-20-2024, 02:41 PM
  Completed! BAS Minor in Info Systems & Project Management mohelena02 4 511 02-25-2024, 07:14 PM