Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BS or bust - TESU BS in Data Science and Analytics
(06-14-2019, 11:53 AM)sanantone Wrote:
(06-14-2019, 10:22 AM)bluebooger Wrote:
(06-14-2019, 09:40 AM)stretcharmy Wrote: Just saw some people posting about doing the WGU degree.  My advise is DON'T it's a total waste of money.  My wife is doing it and it is horrible unless you are already in the biz and doing the work, then you would prob be fine.  They make you take an oracle exam and the materials are junk.  The professor tells you to "go on the web and find more training" . Then what the F#%K are we paying for?   So dissapointed in the program.  Should have just done codecademy and Udacity nanodegree on her own.  Should have checked here first, I didnt know about the TESU option.

the udacity nanodegree or equivalent knowledge is a prerequisite for entry into the WGU program -- so yes, your wife should have done that 

I don't have a problem with the professor telling you go to the web and find more training -- that is how real life works in the IT world -- you search reddit, stackoverflow, google, msdn, ms technet when you need help 

every school makes you buy a book or has recommended books -- the WGU's material for the oracle exam isn't good enough for you then go to oracle's site and see what kind of training they recommend for similar topics  
https://education.oracle.com/oracle-data...am_1Z0-071 
or go buy something from amazon 
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1259585492 

if you think the TESU course if going to be any different then you totally wrong 
I've taken courses directly from statistics.com and there is no way to pass some of the courses without searching outside resources 
their "Predictive Analytics - Python" sequence used a book that was originally written to be used with R, but was in the process of being updated to python -- so I had to search around for help -- and the amount of instructor interaction was less than ... well, it was almost non-existent 

but at least it was more interaction than I got with udacity (I did the nanodegree in AI programming with python) 
udacity's "mentors" were a complete waste of time --- people would post questions in the message boards and 3 days later still receive no answer  
we students helped each other way more than the mentors helped anyone 

"unless you are already in the biz and doing the work,"  --- this is the only thing I really agree with, but I also believe its the same for TESU or any school that offers a masters in data science or data analytics 

people think they can go from school teacher to data analyst or some other career change --- and that's just not going to happen -- even wtih a TESU degree  
you might be able to change from nurse to data analyst in a hospital, but that's only because they usually prefer someone who has clinical experience and understand the "business" process

The nanodegree is only a prerequisite for the master's program. It's not listed as one of the admissions options for the undergraduate program. 

In response to stretcharmy, WGU does not have professors. Competency-based programs don't have real teachers. You teach yourself or ask for help from other students. You get what you pay for. The tuition is dirt cheap because they don't pay for instructors with manageable class sizes.

My point was more around the lack of providing matrial to pass the course.  There are dozens of online programs (not degree related) that provide the materials requried to finish the program.  This is my biggest frustration.  I know that they don't really have professors, but her "mentor" is a PhD and should be able to give more than "use google".  If I could co back in time I would have her focus on codecademy, udacity, udemy etc and just get the skills.  She already has the paper from tesc and once you have that it doesn't matter much more where you get your tech exp.

I got my Msc from WGU but been in the biz for 20 years so I just did the assignments and closed out in 4 months and 3 weeks.  Totally different experiance when you are in the know.

@sanantone, it's been awhile, nice to see your still around. I also see you are getting your Doctorate,  I'm also persuing mine, I finally found a self paced DBA out of scottland that's AACSB.  Actually, it's quasi self paced as you have to wait for exams ever quarter for the 3 base classes.

[url=https://www.aacsb.edu/accreditation/accredited-schools][/url]
TESC BSBA CIS
WGU MS Information Security and Assurance

ALEKS
Intermediate Algebra - College Algebra - Intro to Stats

CLEP
A&I Lit - Principles of Management - Principles of Marketing - Business Law - Macro - Micro - Into to Sociology - SS & H - Humanities - English Comp

DSST
Principles of Supervision - Intro to computers - Intro to Business - MIS - Business Ethics - HR Management - Intro to Law Enforcement - Environment and Humanity - Tech Writing - Human Cultural Geography - Principles of Financial Accounting - Ethics in America - Principals of Finance

SL
Business Communications - Acct. II - Intro to C++

Penn Foster
Strategic Management

TESC
Networking Technologies - TECEP
Systems A and D

TEEX
Cyber Security for Everyone, IT Professionals

Microsoft
MS Virtualization - 70-659

Free-electives - Private Pilot
(06-14-2019, 12:10 PM)stretcharmy Wrote:
(06-14-2019, 11:53 AM)sanantone Wrote:
(06-14-2019, 10:22 AM)bluebooger Wrote:
(06-14-2019, 09:40 AM)stretcharmy Wrote: Just saw some people posting about doing the WGU degree.  My advise is DON'T it's a total waste of money.  My wife is doing it and it is horrible unless you are already in the biz and doing the work, then you would prob be fine.  They make you take an oracle exam and the materials are junk.  The professor tells you to "go on the web and find more training" . Then what the F#%K are we paying for?   So dissapointed in the program.  Should have just done codecademy and Udacity nanodegree on her own.  Should have checked here first, I didnt know about the TESU option.

the udacity nanodegree or equivalent knowledge is a prerequisite for entry into the WGU program -- so yes, your wife should have done that 

I don't have a problem with the professor telling you go to the web and find more training -- that is how real life works in the IT world -- you search reddit, stackoverflow, google, msdn, ms technet when you need help 

every school makes you buy a book or has recommended books -- the WGU's material for the oracle exam isn't good enough for you then go to oracle's site and see what kind of training they recommend for similar topics  
https://education.oracle.com/oracle-data...am_1Z0-071 
or go buy something from amazon 
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1259585492 

if you think the TESU course if going to be any different then you totally wrong 
I've taken courses directly from statistics.com and there is no way to pass some of the courses without searching outside resources 
their "Predictive Analytics - Python" sequence used a book that was originally written to be used with R, but was in the process of being updated to python -- so I had to search around for help -- and the amount of instructor interaction was less than ... well, it was almost non-existent 

but at least it was more interaction than I got with udacity (I did the nanodegree in AI programming with python) 
udacity's "mentors" were a complete waste of time --- people would post questions in the message boards and 3 days later still receive no answer  
we students helped each other way more than the mentors helped anyone 

"unless you are already in the biz and doing the work,"  --- this is the only thing I really agree with, but I also believe its the same for TESU or any school that offers a masters in data science or data analytics 

people think they can go from school teacher to data analyst or some other career change --- and that's just not going to happen -- even wtih a TESU degree  
you might be able to change from nurse to data analyst in a hospital, but that's only because they usually prefer someone who has clinical experience and understand the "business" process

The nanodegree is only a prerequisite for the master's program. It's not listed as one of the admissions options for the undergraduate program. 

In response to stretcharmy, WGU does not have professors. Competency-based programs don't have real teachers. You teach yourself or ask for help from other students. You get what you pay for. The tuition is dirt cheap because they don't pay for instructors with manageable class sizes.

My point was more around the lack of providing matrial to pass the course.  There are dozens of online programs (not degree related) that provide the materials requried to finish the program.  This is my biggest frustration.  I know that they don't really have professors, but her "mentor" is a PhD and should be able to give more than "use google".  If I could co back in time I would have her focus on codecademy, udacity, udemy etc and just get the skills.  She already has the paper from tesc and once you have that it doesn't matter much more where you get your tech exp.

I got my Msc from WGU but been in the biz for 20 years so I just did the assignments and closed out in 4 months and 3 weeks.  Totally different experiance when you are in the know.

@sanantone, it's been awhile, nice to see your still around. I also see you are getting your Doctorate,  I'm also persuing mine, I finally found a self paced DBA out of scottland that's AACSB.  Actually, it's quasi self paced as you have to wait for exams ever quarter for the 3 base classes.

[url=https://www.aacsb.edu/accreditation/accredited-schools][/url]

I've heard that WGU's preparation materials for certs were bad.

That DBA sounds cool. Congratulations and good luck!
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
(06-14-2019, 11:53 AM)sanantone Wrote: In response to stretcharmy, WGU does not have professors. Competency-based programs don't have real teachers. You teach yourself or ask for help from other students. You get what you pay for. The tuition is dirt cheap because they don't pay for instructors with manageable class sizes.

That is not entirely true. WGU used to be less hands-on and relied more on mentors and other students for help, but that has been changing recently. They have retired the idea of course mentors; every course has at least one and usually more than one instructor now. At the MBA level, most courses have 2-3 doctorate-level instructors. They provide regular (multiple times per week) instruction via interactive webinars in addition to pre-recorded videos and one-on-one instruction via telephone and video calls. I've worked with a few of the instructors and they are very helpful.

It is still not required that students interact with a course instructor if they want to learn things on their own, but it is becoming almost mandatory that students interact with the instructors at some level. The instructors control when students are permitted to retake exams, for example. In the future, I'm sure that there will be some mandatory interaction since that is the direction that the school is clearly moving.

I assume this is because there is a growing body of students that are not adult learners coming back to complete degrees, but rather people coming in right out of high school or without much professional job experience. I also suspect that the report from the auditor at the department of education had something to do with it. Even though it was dismissed, the report suggested that WGU didn't qualify as a proper college due to lack of instructor interaction. I imagine WGU is making changes to avoid that perception.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 1 user Likes Merlin's post:
  • dfrecore
(06-14-2019, 10:39 AM)spdy Wrote:
(06-14-2019, 01:58 AM)akr680 Wrote: Hi All,

Anyone successfully completed BS Data Analytics?

How was the overall experience?

Do we need to pay residency waiver (2200$) for this program?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Because I only needed the cornerstone from TESU, I had to pay the residency waiver.
Thanks, How would you rate Statistics.com courses?

Final exams, are they assignment based or quiz based?

If I choose BS Data analytics, I need to complete Eng 1, 2 and statistics.com courses.

Is it possible to complete in 9 months timeframe?

------------------

(06-16-2019, 10:23 PM)akr680 Wrote:

Thanks

Because I only needed the cornerstone from TESU, I had to pay the residency waiver.

If I choose BS Data analytics, I need to complete Eng 1, 2 and statistics.com courses.

Courses have weekly assignments, some courses just have their fourth assignment as a final, others require a final project using knowledge from all previous weeks. I think all courses let you skip a weekly assignment without affecting your grade, this may be useful if you're taking multiple courses simultaneously.

I started my courses on January and finished in September (2018), it is possible but challenging, you'll have to check dates courses are offered too
[-] The following 1 user Likes spdy's post:
  • akr680

Thanks

I've finished TESU's Data Science Degree last month. I still need to apply for graduation at TESU, but all 120 credits have been applied to my degree, so I can say I'm finally done Smile

I took 10 Statistics.com courses, and it took me about 6 and a half months to complete all of them. I had to schedule them all ahead of time to prevent having big gaps between them, but it was still doable.

I work a full-time job, and most of the time I was taking two to three courses at the same time, so it was challenging especially because they all have weekly assignments with strict deadlines. But if your goal is to complete the courses as quickly as possible, as it was mine, then it's absolutely possible to do it in under 9 months.

This is how my schedule looked like:

[Image: Image%202019-06-17%20at%204.24.47%20PM.png]

Good luck!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Charca's post:
  • akr680
(06-17-2019, 02:37 PM)Charca Wrote:

Thanks

I've finished TESU's Data Science Degree last month. I still need to apply for graduation at TESU, but all 120 credits have been applied to my degree, so I can say I'm finally done Smile

I took 10 Statistics.com courses, and it took me about 6 and a half months to complete all of them. I had to schedule them all ahead of time to prevent having big gaps between them, but it was still doable.

I work a full-time job, and most of the time I was taking two to three courses at the same time, so it was challenging especially because they all have weekly assignments with strict deadlines. But if your goal is to complete the courses as quickly as possible, as it was mine, then it's absolutely possible to do it in under 9 months.

This is how my schedule looked like:

[Image: Image%202019-06-17%20at%204.24.47%20PM.png]

Good luck!
Congradulations!!

Thanks a lot for the details.

------------------

(06-17-2019, 10:39 AM)spdy Wrote:

Thanks

Courses have weekly assignments, some courses just have their fourth assignment as a final, others require a final project using knowledge from all previous weeks. I think all courses let you skip a weekly assignment without affecting your grade, this may be useful if you're taking multiple courses simultaneously.

I started my courses on January and finished in September (2018), it is possible but challenging, you'll have to check dates courses are offered too

Thank you for the information. Congratulations on completing the on-demand degree.
------------------

I don't see a place on the Statistics.com website to sign up for a newsletter in order to be notified of coupon codes and discounts.

Does anyone happen to know how to get into the loop with them?

Thanks!

Danielle
BALS (Social Sciences) + ASNSM in CS - Sept 2022 TESU graduate
I'd try this:

Quote:https://www.statistics.com/analytics-for-data-science/

CONTACT US
Have a question about a program before you register? Call us. We're here for you. (571) 281-8817 or ourcourses (at) statistics.com

Really weird that they would obscure a contact email address on their own website.

Edit: if you scroll down there's also a "Send Me Info" box on that page.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • CarpeDiem8

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 15 699 03-22-2024, 02:35 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 10 1,978 03-22-2024, 12:00 AM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  ASNSM in Computer Science and TEEX Cybersecurity? Shorn27 2 360 03-18-2024, 09:28 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 261 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Has someone transferred Study.com science corses with labs and correctly transfered etwelding2019 1 205 03-03-2024, 12:20 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU Response Time For Application joshua27 3 230 03-02-2024, 02:24 PM
Last Post: joshua27
  Free ways(e.g. TECEP)to register at TESU? Also say thank you to@bjcheung77@LevelUp Felisa 2 301 03-01-2024, 02:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  SAS Programmer Certificates at TESU jg_nuy 5 267 02-29-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: mog538
  Conflicting info from TESU for dual degrees?? ACI 32 2,158 02-22-2024, 12:19 PM
Last Post: faptaincrunch
  Admitted BA Computers Science - TESU Chan.kckn 3 392 02-21-2024, 07:46 PM
Last Post: LevelUP