Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Barely passed Intro to Sociology!
Ok, so I studied on this site PLUS additional information I could find online and I barely passed Introduction to Sociology with a 53! I honestly didn't think I was going to pass once I had started the CLEP. I'm glad I did some additional studying with the CLEP study guide and other random study sites because the InstantCert practice tests alone would not have cut it for me. Out of 100 CLEP test questions, only a handful were even close to the information and the format that was in the IC practice tests. I am very disappointed especially after doing research and hearing all of the rave reviews this site received. This is my first month with IC and I will NOT be renewing my membership.

- PG
The format is not the same in the IC compared to the clep tests.
If you are unsure of a course, then you need to study more.
Were you 100% confident going in there that you would pass the course?
How long did you prepare for the exam?
Did you try the Petersons?
Perhaps you need to learn some new study habits...
Not sure if this thread was a review or a moan

At least you passed the exam...
Set yourself goals, not limitations
Most of the questions on the CLEP were nothing like what I learned on IC. I was positive going in that I would pass until I actually started the test and I ended up guessing A LOT. My study habits are pretty good and I usually get good grades because of it. I studied for a month. I haven't tried Peterson's. I just checked out their website and it's $19.95...I'm guessing per test? My post was both review and moan.
Did you check the Specific Feedback forum for the test? It has lots of specific details on each test from the people who just took the test. It will tell you no-joke what to expect and what to study. Some have personal study guides attached too. As an IC member you should have access.

Also, the official CLEP "study guide" is NOT a study guide and should not be used that way. It is an indicator of the type and difficulty level of the questions you will see on the actual test. NOTHING MORE. A lot of people swear by the REA study guides that you can get for about $20 or so, but check the specific feedback forum for each test. For example, for the Marketing test REA is apparently perfect, but for Management it is way off. Read the feedback and use it wisely. THAT is what you should pay the monthly fee for -- the flashcards are just a little frosting on the cake.
Community-Supported Wiki(link approved by forum admin)

Complete: TESU BA Computer Science
2011-2013 completed all BSBA CIS requirements except 4 gen eds.
2013 switched major to CS, then took a couple years off suddenly.
2015-2017 finished the CS.

CCAF: AAS Comp Sci
CLEP (10): A&I Lit, College Composition Modular, College Math, Financial Accounting, Marketing, Management, Microecon, Sociology, Psychology, Info Systems
DSST (4): Public Speaking, Business Ethics, Finance, MIS

ALEKS (3): College Algebra, Trig, Stats
UMUC (3): Comparative programming languages, Signal & Image Processing, Analysis of Algorithms
TESU (11): English Comp, Business Law, Macroecon, Managerial Accounting, Strategic Mgmt (BSBA Capstone), C++, Data Structures, Calc I/II, Discrete Math, BA Capstone

Warning: BA Capstone is a thesis, mine was 72 pages about a cryptography topic

Wife pursuing Public Admin cert via CSU.
...but you passed, and there is no such thing as a high pass/low pass. It's the same. Had you scored an 80 how would you have felt? IMO, scoring an 80 means you wasted too much time in the material.

Maybe you need to reconsider your study techniques? Maybe youre not a great test taker? Maybe you memorized instead of conceptualized?

I'm not a great test taker, but the problem isn't for lack of good resources. I think you'll find that your membership, is only one aspect of why the pass rate here is so high. -You found the forum, so be sure to use it. There is no better CLEP forum anywhere on the internet. None. You're here, so get planning your second test and move forward.

I'm ALWAYS shocked at how many questions I don't know, that's probably shared by a lot of people. The idea isn't that you are a master of the material, it's that you can score as many questions as a butt -in-seat student who earned a "C" would score. Clearly you met the mark. Celebrate!

Congrats on your first pass!
cookderosa Wrote:Had you scored an 80 how would you have felt? IMO, scoring an 80 means you wasted too much time in the material.

So very, very true and wise.
63 CLEP Sociology
75 CLEP U.S. History II
63 CLEP College Algebra
70 CLEP Analyzing and Interpreting Literature
68 DSST Technical Writing
72 CLEP U.S. History I
77 CLEP College Mathematics
470 DSST Statistics
53 CLEP College Composition
73 CLEP Biology
54 CLEP Chemistry
77 CLEP Information Systems and Computer Applications
It seems to me that you studied the IC questions just enough to memorize those questions that is not the intent of IC or the way to pass the test. You need to understand the material by reading the whole response and understanding it. If you don't fully understand a concept after the question and answer then go to wiki or somewhere else(Khan academy, etc.) and read more about it until you understand it. You need to have learned the subject not just the IC flashcards.

I have been using IC and this forum and the specific exam feedback for all of my exams I have not failed one and my lowest score is a 61. So instead of putting the blame on IC which has MANY success stories why not just ask for suggestions of what you can do to be better prepared for your next test.
Linda

Start by doing what is necessary: then do the possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible  St Francis of Assisi

Now a retired substitute Teacher in NY, & SC

AA Liberal Studies TESC '08
BA in Natural Science/Mathematics TESC Sept '10
AAS Environmental safety and Security Technology TESC  Dec '12
Congrats on the pass and I agree with the other comments.

Keep in mind that the Specific Forum Feedback is just as helpful, and sometimes more so than the IC cards. If you read through the feedback on ANY topic, a majority of posts from forum members list out other resources that they used to supplement the cards. IC cards are one piece of the puzzle. For many, they can be a big piece of the puzzle, and for other tests, they're not as helpful.

My formula was generally IC + Specific Forum Feedback + Youtube lectures + Google/Wikipedia.

If I would see something in the cards that didn't make sense, I knew that simply memorizing the fill-in-the-blank wasn't enough for me. I would stop, do some web searching and maybe find a lecture on the topic. IC will show you what you need to know, but it's not just what on the card - the card is a hint as to an area of study that includes the info presented. IC cannot give you the exact questions and answers or they couldn't stay in business and it would be considered cheating.

All that said, my younger brother graduated from COSC years ago and used ONLY IC to study. I asked him if he used other resources or even Google and he did not. However, my little bro is seriously intelligent and probably has amazing test taking skills. He also took all of his tests before many of them were updated to be slightly more difficult.

HTH and don't give up! Also, don't be afraid to go back and read the feedback to see how it could have helped you. Being stubborn will only hurt you in the long run. After all, you don't want to just pass ONE test, you want to pass as many as you set your mind to. Give it another shot. I would have never finished my undergrad so quickly without the specific feedback forum.
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
Congrats on passing Sociology! I took that class at the community college and it was a hard class. There have been some great comments on this thread. Perhaps, reading a book or watching a video for the primary source and supplementing that with IC. I started with a recommended book before I used IC. Some may prefer to use IC as the primary source. Earlier I saw Tasman's signatures "Set yourself goals, not limitations” that’s what I usually do when taking classes or studying for tests. When I set goals, I always set the mark a lot higher than the minimum needed to get a good grade or to pass a test. For example, I tell myself, I what to pass by 60 when only 48 is needed.
Respect Yourself and Respect others.

Passed
DSST Technical Writing
DSST Principle of Statistics
DSST Astronomy
DSST MIS
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I did use a variety of resources. Linda, I wish Khanacademy had a lesson on Sociology because I definitely check out those videos! All of you mentioned the "Specific feedback forum". I thought this was the only forum...?? I searched and found it. I'll give it a try!

Thanks!
PG

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Kim did it after 4 tries! <baby bar passed> bjcheung77 9 1,424 04-23-2024, 06:55 AM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  Intro to Criminal Justice & Speech Communication midnite123 11 1,006 01-04-2023, 12:32 AM
Last Post: karenkresgs
  It’s barely solvent. Pricy school with a gloomy outlook... bjcheung77 0 671 06-04-2022, 04:43 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Intro to Sociology Jennr2z 8 1,102 05-11-2022, 11:14 PM
Last Post: Jennr2z
  Passed the CISSP Exam jamshid666 5 1,890 09-27-2021, 01:58 PM
Last Post: jamshid666
  Passed the CHFI Exam jamshid666 9 1,562 07-17-2021, 06:40 PM
Last Post: jamshid666
  Udacity Intro to Cybersecurity nanodegree Cofffeee 7 1,387 07-30-2020, 09:39 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  SL Intro to Nutrition High_Order1 6 1,579 03-03-2020, 01:51 PM
Last Post: Lacedonia4
Question Social Work, Sociology, or Anthropology Degree? LadySearchDog 5 1,628 08-14-2019, 02:35 AM
Last Post: PrettyFlyforaChiGuy
  Passed Environment & Humanity DSST (feedback included) journey 9 3,298 06-06-2019, 06:29 AM
Last Post: FishNDip