Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best Online College Algebra class?
Hey everyone,
I want to be able to teach someday in Texas. In order to do that I have to have College Algebra. I took College Math for my bachelor's. The algebra class is just something I need to knock out on the side in my spare time while I'm in Iraq. EC is too expenisve just for that one course.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Hopefully a school where I can just take that one course and be done with it? Thanks.
B.S. Liberal Studies Excelsior College
graduated Cum Laude
321 total SH of college credit
currently finishing B.S. in Mathematics at UTRGV en route to Masters in Mathematics
current goal: Pass 4 of the actuarial science exams and become an actuary
Retired Intelligence Officer (21 years, 6 combat tours to Iraq and Afghanistan)
Straighterline.com

$99 for the one month option. You will have 30 days to complete the course. Fort Hays State University will take the credit from straighterline.com and you can then transfer the credit anywhere. FHSU is RA. For College Algebra, there are 5 exams that are not timed and not proctored. I am taking it right now. I have completed 3/5 exams, and I have a 95%. 20 questions per exam. You will have to pay $30 to apply to FHSU. So, for $129 total, you can get the course out of the way. Also, rather than pay WAY too much for the required textbook, I just used a 10 year old College Algebra textbook that I picked up for $1.00. The material is all the same.

Online College Courses Distance Learning Courses
Seems like a pretty good option...much more convenient and cheaper than the LSU course I was looking at. My emphasis is on getting it done quickly and in a manner that is convenient for being in Iraq. This seems to fit what I need. Thanks.
graduated Cum Laude
currently finishing B.S. in Mathematics at UTRGV en route to Masters in Mathematics
Well, I took the plunge. I paid the $99. I'm waiting for my login information. In the meantime I applied and paid the $30 for admission to Fort Hays University so that once I complete the course I can get the credit from them. It won't happen overnight but I can foresee being done with the whole process in about 4 weeks -- completely online -- and that works for me.

I'm going to use the Algebrator software to help study and do my homework. It has some great reviews. We'll see. I'll keep the forum updated on how this Straighterline.com thing works out.

Oh, they also offer Accounting and Economics I and II, just FYI ... $99!
graduated Cum Laude
Dear Hunger4god,

Please let us know the details of how it is working out. I have a son who might be interested so I am concerned with all of the warts and good stuff.

Thanks,

Sidney
Excellent. Jenifer will email you your login info. MAKE SURE YOU TELL HER YOUR INTENTIONS. TELL HER YOU ONLY WANT ONE MONTH AND YOU WANT TO CANCEL NOW, SO YOU WILL NOT BE BILLED FOR A SECOND MONTH. TELL HER SPECIFICALLY WHAT YOU ARE DOING, SO THERE IS NO CONFUSION. TELL HER YOU ARE DOING THE $99 OPTION. THIS IS A MUST.

hunger4god Wrote:Well, I took the plunge. I paid the $99. I'm waiting for my login information. In the meantime I applied and paid the $30 for admission to Fort Hays University so that once I complete the course I can get the credit from them. It won't happen overnight but I can foresee being done with the whole process in about 4 weeks -- completely online -- and that works for me.

I'm going to use the Algebrator software to help study and do my homework. It has some great reviews. We'll see. I'll keep the forum updated on how this Straighterline.com thing works out.

Oh, they also offer Accounting and Economics I and II, just FYI ... $99!
I don't want to push but I , for one, would be interested in how you feel about it each week. I know that they only offer 8 courses but my son is just getting ready to start and if it works, he is excited about it. We live overseas and if it can be done including exam by distance, it would be great.

Sidney
I have been doing it for two weeks. I have taken 3/5 exams. I have a 95%. I have had to study for several hours per week, but if I don't know something or remember something, I can look it up in the textbook as I take the exam. There is no homework. There are 5 graded exams. You get your results immediately. Ryan and Jenifer at Straigterline.com have been incredible. I still have to apply at FHSU and pay that $30. Let me know if you have any other questions.

I will post a full review of Straighterline.com later this evening.

Fred
My main question would be does TESC/Excelsior accept credit transferred from Fort Hayes? I know they should with Hayes being RA and all, but it would be something I'd confirm beforehand. We know Charter Oaks is good to go, due to it being one of Straighterline's partners.
[SIZE="2"]
-Justin
PMP, CISSP, A+, Sec+, MCDST, ITIL
Total Credits Earned: 162

www.Free-Clep-Prep.com - (with Forum Admin's permission)

[/SIZE]
hunger4god Wrote:......much more convenient and cheaper than the LSU course I was looking at.....
[COLOR="Navy"]
The LSU class is WAY hard......IMO.[/COLOR]
ShotoJuku +
A.S., B.S., M.S., MBA
IC Forums Senior Super Moderator  
Passing It On & Paying It Forward To All Just Starting or Completing Their Educational Journey!

Shoto's Passing Your Exam Advice Here --->   http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...#post59179
God Bless The USA :patriot:

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  guided vs online tesu capstone shendaddy 18 6,128 09-19-2018, 06:07 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  TESU Liberal Studies with Concentration Class Options Jenna.C 2 2,606 09-17-2018, 11:25 AM
Last Post: Jenna.C
  Does TESU put the free Ethics class from the Institutes as a grade or just as credit? Jenna.C 19 5,493 09-14-2018, 12:27 AM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Study.com College Credits UnbreakablyDetermined 2 1,845 08-27-2018, 05:44 PM
Last Post: allvia
  TESU BALS 2018 - All Online seaweedhead 5 2,918 08-23-2018, 06:18 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  TESU gen. ed. algebra requirement alternatives? kietro 5 1,718 07-27-2018, 09:58 AM
Last Post: rckola911
  Excelsior: ALEKS Beginning Algebra duplicates ... bluebooger 13 3,168 07-26-2018, 09:15 PM
Last Post: Exfactor
  Excelsior College 47th Annual Commencement - 12 Year Old Graduate Life Long Learning 16 4,924 07-26-2018, 01:11 AM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  Penn Foster/TESU UL last class FinishTHEM 3 1,387 07-02-2018, 10:30 PM
Last Post: FinishTHEM
  Excelsior College awarded 245K for Advanced Nuclear Project Life Long Learning 1 1,219 06-25-2018, 09:28 AM
Last Post: Life Long Learning