Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best place to learn SQL - Cheap/Free?
Question 
Where is the best place to learn SQL for cheap/free?

Could be a local establishment/CC in southern NC, or online, or book format. I am pretty open to whatever format. A certificate of completion would be a nice addition. 

I have significant experience with COBOL so I don't think it will difficult to master quickly, so please share any resources you may have.

Thanks!
Udemy has some SQL courses, may give you a base, then test out?
BALS (Social Sciences) + ASNSM in CS - Sept 2022 TESU graduate
Code Academy and SoloLearn.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 1 user Likes sanantone's post:
  • CarpeDiem8
https://www.udacity.com/course/intro-to-...ses--ud197

https://www.udacity.com/course/sql-for-d...sis--ud198

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXV3zeQKqGY
I took SQL through my local community college and would NOT recommend it. The teacher knew nothing about SQL and had been assigned to the class last minute, so basically we learned through the book. Pretty much anything you take online for SQL would probably be better. I would say to try Udacity since the courses tend to be more formalized with big name companies involved that actually use the skills.
MBA, Walden University (In progress - 60% done)
2016 TESU, BA-LIBST, Emphases in Multimedia Comm./Human & Social Services
TESU TECEPS: Abnormal Psych PSY-350, Psych of Women PSY-270, Sales Mgmnt MAR-322, Advertising MAR-323, Marketing COM-210; Capstone w/ Ciacco
Other Sources: CLEP, Art Portfolio, 3 Comm. Colleges, 2 Art Colleges,  FEMA, AICPCU Ethics
(03-22-2019, 01:55 PM)sanantone Wrote: Code Academy and SoloLearn.

Codeacademy's interface is so great! Def recommend!!!!
BALS (Social Sciences) + ASNSM in CS - Sept 2022 TESU graduate
The best way to learn is by doing. If you have programming aptitude then I suspect you won't have an issue.

Though I learned SQL around two decades ago at this point, when I learned it I did so because I wanted to use it for a project. So I installed MySQL on my Linux box and just started playing around with it, using the documentation as a resource. Once I started getting into the more advanced stuff I ended up buying a book on SQL and reading that. Since then I branched out to other SQL variants, but as a programmer, I thought SQL was pretty intuitive.

These days you can watch YouTube videos and there are tons of free web resources available to help you learn SQL. I also recommend Codecademy or Youtube if you don't want to grab an e-book and learn it on your own.

Btw, are you still using COBOL? I did some work with COBOL in the 80's but haven't seen COBOL in use anywhere since the late 90's or early 2000's. I assume if you're still supporting COBOL applications, you must be supporting some legacy business apps or old mainframe TPS services.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
That's why I like the learning resources that allow practice. My current employer uses a DOS-based program, and the number of commands we had to learn looked daunting. But, after doing several exercises, we were able to quickly navigate between screens after a couple of weeks. It's all about repetition.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
lol DOS based in 2019
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 1 user Likes jsd's post:
  • alab21
I agree with Merlin the best way to learn SQL is by doing. I learned SQL building Ecommerce sites with PHP.

Here's an Idea build a Webstore with PHP and MySQL, Postgre or MariaDB for the database end and you will have something to show and you'll UNDERSTAND SQL while doing so.

It sticks easier than just learning syntax.

Even if you dont want to go live, just build a few projects with an SQL based DB on the backend and you're sure to learn it. Trust me you'll remember SQL like it was nothing.

@jsd If it aint broke dont fix it.

Besides a DOS based system not connected to the internet is as secure as it comes.

Some military infrastructure still use analog computers lol
GRADUATE

Master of Business Administration, Robert Cavelier University (2024-2025)

MS Information and Communication Technology (UK IET Accredited) (On Hold)
Master of Theological Studies, Nations University (6 cr)

UNDERGRAD : 184 Credits

BA Computer Science, TESU  '19
BA Liberal Studies, TESU  '19
AS  Natural Science and Mathematics, TESU  '19

StraighterLine (27 Cr)   Shmoop (18 Cr)  Sophia (11 Cr)
TEEX (5 Cr) Aleks (9 Cr)  ED4Credit (3 Cr) CPCU (2 Cr)   Study.com (39 Cr)

TESU (4 cr)
TT B&M (46 Cr)  Nations University  (9 cr)  UoPeople: (3 cr) Penn Foster: (8 cr)  

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Lightbulb ASU to Launch a Free Global Initiative and enroll 100 million students MNomadic 203 28,703 03-11-2024, 10:55 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Free or affordable Christian Chaplaincy Online Sowak777 4 369 02-21-2024, 06:39 AM
Last Post: The need 2 learn
  MBA students receive free Apple Vision Pro Imbanewbie 0 248 02-07-2024, 10:10 AM
Last Post: Imbanewbie
  Cheap Self-Paced Language Courses or courses IN said languages? nykorn 4 413 12-09-2023, 12:06 PM
Last Post: nykorn
  Free Course Jacksonville State University a_dblu 56 9,558 11-19-2023, 07:30 PM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso
  Looking for cheap Dual Enrollment credit for homeschooled sister muu9 4 487 11-16-2023, 05:47 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Fast, Self Paced, preferrably cheap RA credits elcastor21 6 870 09-12-2023, 08:20 PM
Last Post: Cofffeee
  Over 25 in Massachusetts, Free Community College bjcheung77 0 533 08-25-2023, 04:41 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Cheap-ish (Biblical) Hebrew and Greek credit rachel83az 7 594 08-22-2023, 03:40 PM
Last Post: Library2HospitalChaplain
  California - Fall Is Free! bjcheung77 3 573 08-18-2023, 12:32 PM
Last Post: Avidreader