Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Big 3 place in top 60 of 166 accredited Emergency Management colleges in the US
Intelligent.com has announced the Top 60 Emergency Management Degree Programs for 2020. The comprehensive research guide is based on an assessment of 166 accredited Emergency Management Degree colleges and universities in the nation. Each program is evaluated based on curriculum quality, graduation rate, reputation, and post-graduate employment.

Excelsior College and TESU both make the list. Big Grin

https://www.prweb.com/releases/intellige...758099.htm
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

[-] The following 1 user Likes Life Long Learning's post:
  • cwendy111
Interesting, I am looking at Masters programs right now in the field of Emergency Management in conjunction with getting a professional certification and a Certified Emergency Manager. Schools such as Jacksonville State and Arkansas State are rated as top options for online degrees in EM, I wonder if TESU or Excelsior will make the jump to masters.
Current Course(s): Business Administration Capstone BUS-421 (TESU)

AMU (9); CSM (3); CLEP (15); DSST (3); InstantCert (15); Institutes (3)Military (51); Sophia (6); Straighterline (15); Study.com (6); Thomas Edison State University (3); University of Alaska (12)
You don't have to wonder, Excelsior and TESU have similar degrees already. Excelsior has a Masters of Science in Criminal Justice with a concentration in Homeland Security and Emergency Management and then for TESU, they also has a Masters of Science in Homeland Security.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(04-13-2020, 06:51 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: You don't have to wonder, Excelsior and TESU have similar degrees already.  Excelsior has a Masters of Science in Criminal Justice with a concentration in Homeland Security and Emergency Management and then for TESU, they also has a Masters of Science in Homeland Security.

Honestly, I don't care much for degrees with concentrations in Homeland Security. As someone who has worked in that field for some time, the job opportunity's for Homeland Security outside of government work are very limited. EM however exists at local, state and federal levels and in my view is more integrated into the corporate world as well. Thanks for the feedback however.

AMU (9); CSM (3); CLEP (15); DSST (3); InstantCert (15); Institutes (3)Military (51); Sophia (6); Straighterline (15); Study.com (6); Thomas Edison State University (3); University of Alaska (12)
[-] The following 1 user Likes Not_a_robot_101's post:
  • bluebooger
(04-13-2020, 08:58 PM)Not_a_robot_101 Wrote:
(04-13-2020, 06:51 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: You don't have to wonder, Excelsior and TESU have similar degrees already.  Excelsior has a Masters of Science in Criminal Justice with a concentration in Homeland Security and Emergency Management and then for TESU, they also has a Masters of Science in Homeland Security.

Honestly, I don't care much for degrees with concentrations in Homeland Security. As someone who has worked in that field for some time, the job opportunity's for Homeland Security outside of government work are very limited. EM however exists at local, state and federal levels and in my view is more integrated into the corporate world as well. Thanks for the feedback however.

I work in this field also.  You are right Homeland Security is limited.  Emergency Management has way more opportunity.  There is overlap between the two.  Getting a "minor" or better yet additional Certificate in Business Continuity of Operations Planning (COOP) would be useful. I  bet 99% of businesses had no plan for the COVID-19.  In the future, this will be needed.  
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

[-] The following 2 users Like Life Long Learning's post:
  • LongRoad, Tedium
(04-13-2020, 10:08 PM)Life Long Learning Wrote:

I work in this field also.  You are right Homeland Security is limited.  Emergency Management has way more opportunity.  There is overlap between the two.  Getting a "minor" or better yet additional Certificate in Business Continuity of Operations Planning (COOP) would be useful. I  bet 99% of businesses had no plan for the COVID-19.  In the future, this will be needed.  

LLL,

I would love to pick your brain about what type of EM field you work in and the certs that you find useful and compare them to my notes on the subject. I'll send you a PM. 

-Robot

(04-14-2020, 05:25 PM)Not_a_robot_101 Wrote:
(04-13-2020, 10:08 PM)Life Long Learning Wrote:

LLL,

I would love to pick your brain about what type of EM field you work in and the certs that you find useful and compare them to my notes on the subject. I'll send you a PM. 

-Robot

Robot

Have you seen the list from FEMA of over 200 EM degree programs+?
https://training.fema.gov/hiedu/collegelist/

At the bottom of the page, you can download the three pdfs

LLL,

Thank you for the link. I really wanted to get my Masters from a school based in Texas, however the online opportunities are not very robust. I am going to work through IAEM and speak to some mentors and look into recommendations for my masters program. Due to traveling a fair amount, online is a must. Jacksonville State, Arkansas State and Arizona State are all options I am considering. I know we spoke about University of North Texas and I think its a great program, but I am not willing to attend a school that only has on campus options. Any other recommendations?

-Robot

These are a place to start researching.  I take these lists as a guide but not fact.

Ranking The Top 20 Online Emergency Management Degree Programs 2018
https://www.emergency-management-degree....st/online/
West Texas is on this list?  Jacksonville State University is also (I have two graduate classes from them).  University of Central Missouri, Western Carolina University (less out of state tuition)? University of Florida (everyone knows a football college).

Top 30 Best Master’s in Emergency Management Degrees Online 2019
https://www.bestmastersdegrees.com/top/o...management
Georgetown University is very respected (I have a credential from here).  Arizona State University (huge online and well-known football).  The University of Alaska, University of South Florida, Eastern Kentucky University (in bed with FEMA under a contract to teach EM courses)University of Nebraska, Oklahoma State University, Arkansas Tech University, University of Nevada etc. all sound neat.
I have nothing against Anna Maria College in this list except none knows who they are (same with Big 3) and it's really an MPA degree.

[-] The following 1 user Likes Life Long Learning's post:
  • Not_a_robot_101
Thanks for the follow up! I am going to be building a spreadsheet to compare the various options for Masters degrees in EM. Some schools have IAEM student chapters and others have Epsilon Pi Phi honor societies, both are additional considerations. I have considered Georgetown as well as Boston University, as I could use my post-9/11 GI bill to cover the cost, however I have to balance that consideration against being able to gift my post-9/11 GI bill benefits to my children when they are eligible to attend a college or university. I suspect I may land at one of the mid range schools, where I can apply my Tuition Assistance towards it to mitigate some of the cost. While I am potentially capped at $250 a credit hour and $2250 a year, that is potentially, $4500 off a two year masters program or $6750 off a three year program. I can also seek out some scholarships I suppose. I am unsure how well my BSBA will be viewed as I will have limited graded course hours, since roughly 100 of my 120 credits are via exam, but I will cross that bridge when I come to it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Are there any online colleges with recorded or live video lectures? whiverem 15 1,172 11-17-2023, 08:57 PM
Last Post: whiverem
  What are the best online colleges? whiverem 10 1,265 05-23-2023, 09:00 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  New ASU UL Project Management Poker doom 22 2,261 12-20-2022, 09:22 AM
Last Post: doom
  BLS Management to Masters in HR Management learningthehardway 10 1,372 05-22-2022, 09:34 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Florida resident looking for colleges G0GinaGo 10 1,455 02-12-2022, 06:07 PM
Last Post: natshar
  Colleges like TESU which allows enrolment of one year without obligation? FrHaseKopf 9 1,301 02-12-2022, 12:55 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Colleges besides TESU, COSC, Excelsior, WGU that accept ACE alab21 23 6,096 06-30-2020, 10:37 PM
Last Post: amberwalk
  Colleges Other Than Big Three mgmar22 13 29,769 02-11-2020, 12:54 AM
Last Post: mgmar22
  WGU vs TESU for BSBA General Management indigoshuffle 2 1,347 04-27-2019, 10:57 PM
Last Post: dfrecore