Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Big Three and a Science Degree
Hi all,

I've been doing research here as a lurker for a little while, and haven't found an answer to my question, so I figured I'd bother you. I appreciate any advice I can get. Navigating the process has been...interesting, although this forum is helping a lot.

I''m determined to finally earn a bachelor's degree, and am leaning toward TESC, although the other two schools aren't out of the running. It depends on which one best fits my overall goal, which is an M.S. in Exercise Science (or similar, some schools have other names for it) within the next four years.

I still haven't found a whole lot of info online of anyone doing this (Big 3 to an M.S. in ES). My thought is, since most of my existing credits from other colleges are in liberal arts (37, with 12 credits in what I believe equate to TESC 300- and 400- level courses) with some in science (three 100-level classes, 12 credits), I would make a run for the TESC B.A. in Sociology or Liberal Arts, testing out of as much other stuff as I can via the popular channels, take a bunch of relevant science like bio, physics, and kinesiology as free electives (I would actually take these courses because I'd want the grades), and then apply to grad schools.

Does this seem sound? Or should I make an effort to get a more science-oriented B.A.? Thanks to anyone who has guidance or thoughts.
Have you looked into any of the MS programs? What are the prereqs?
Andy

---------------------------------

TESC - BSBA: CIS

Current Degree Plan
Complete:  TECEP Eng Comp I, Marriage and Family, Strategic Management, Networking, Computer Concepts, Liberal Math, Tech Writing, Managerial Accounting DSST MIS, Cybersecurity Study.com Macroeconomics
Remaining:  Waiting for credits to process

ajs1976 Wrote:Have you looked into any of the MS programs? What are the prereqs?

Yep. Most of the ones I am interested in are vague; just say "a related degree with a ____ GPA" or in a lot of cases, just "You should have Bio, A&P, Chem, Physics background." Not a lot of specifics, which makes me think maybe a TESC B.A. in liberal arts (or similar from COSC or Excelsior) is fine as long as I have science and kinesiology classes with A's and B's for grades.
jmgst71 Wrote:Hi all,

I've been doing research here as a lurker for a little while, and haven't found an answer to my question, so I figured I'd bother you. I appreciate any advice I can get. Navigating the process has been...interesting, although this forum is helping a lot.

I''m determined to finally earn a bachelor's degree, and am leaning toward TESC, although the other two schools aren't out of the running. It depends on which one best fits my overall goal, which is an M.S. in Exercise Science (or similar, some schools have other names for it) within the next four years.

I still haven't found a whole lot of info online of anyone doing this (Big 3 to an M.S. in ES). My thought is, since most of my existing credits from other colleges are in liberal arts (37, with 12 credits in what I believe equate to TESC 300- and 400- level courses) with some in science (three 100-level classes, 12 credits), I would make a run for the TESC B.A. in Sociology or Liberal Arts, testing out of as much other stuff as I can via the popular channels, take a bunch of relevant science like bio, physics, and kinesiology as free electives (I would actually take these courses because I'd want the grades), and then apply to grad schools.

Does this seem sound? Or should I make an effort to get a more science-oriented B.A.? Thanks to anyone who has guidance or thoughts.

It depends on what type of graduate program in health you want to go into whether it's exercise science, occupational therapy, PA school, medicine, dentistry, etc. That also depends on how competitive the program is as well.

Have you ever thought about becoming an occupational therapist, or a physician assistant? They are both master's programs with occupational therapists and physician assistant both in very high demand, the former having average salaries of around $80,000, and the latter around $100,000 - $120,000. Given how long medical school is (4 years + 3 - 5 years of residency), PA school is an attractive option (at least salary wise and takes about 36 - 48 months to complete) to specialties like family medicine or internal medicine where the incomes relative to medical education is lower than a lot of other specialties.

I am not sure how strong the job market is for exercise science or kinesiology or say nutrition science, but occupation therapy is a more secure option I think. But anyways, with any of these programs, the most important thing you'll need to keep in mind is that health care programs care very much about GPA. The more competitive the type of program the higher you want it to be. You don't need a science degree to enter most of these programs, only the sufficient pre-reqs i.e. biology, chemistry, organic chemistry, physics, genetics, and sufficient labs. In fact, it's better to do a major that is easier and where you can maintain a higher GPA versus science majors that are known for grade deflation, and making it very difficult to get an A (pre-med "weeder" courses). That's because a lot of the students will be in the courses who are hyper-competitive ("gunners") in order to secure seats in programs that can often have 5 - 10% acceptance rates i.e. medical, dental, vet school, etc.

You want to pick professors that are not horrible and where you stand a good chance of getting an A. That is up to you to find out what institutions and what professors are your best options. One of the most useful tricks you can do is to see if there are any old exams floating around whether by asking students who previously took the course, or if the professor offers them - many professors end up just regurgitating and recycling the same types of questions.

That said, I think a "liberal arts" degree may possibly hold you back because it seems too generic compared to a Sociology degree at least from an "Admission Committee" point of view. A Sociology degree with sufficient pre-reqs and a high GPA is certainly a good combination to have.

As a side story - one of my son's friends majored in Physics, arguably the hardest major out there and where a B or C means you know your stuff, and got a 3.0 from Johns Hopkins, and my son went to a state school with a 3.8 in an easier major. Both applied to medical schools with the same MCAT scores - guess who got into medical school?

Of course, each case is different, but you may also want to check out the studentdoctor forums about what healthcare program you wish to pursue, and the health field is always a smart field to go into given the constant need for more healthcare workers who are forever in short supply. Keep in mind that graduate programs in healthcare are much harder than what you'd expect in undergraduate, especially for ones going through COSC, TESC, or Excelsior. You may find yourself going through a rough adjustment so I would recommend at least taking a few upper level biology courses to "acclimate" yourself. Of course, graduate school is difficult for everyone, and preparing yourself mentally that you will have to study A LOT more than you did in undergraduate will help tremendously.
Thanks. I actually have looked at PA school, although I am pretty set on going the exercise science route. Seems they don't require much science past lower-level bio, chem, and physics either. I actually want to take my science classes (and upper level ones, too) and not "test out," so I retain the info. I'm not opposed to that; I'd rather test out of things that would actually be in my major if I went the Soc. route.
jmgst71 Wrote:Thanks. I actually have looked at PA school, although I am pretty set on going the exercise science route. Seems they don't require much science past lower-level bio, chem, and physics either. I actually want to take my science classes (and upper level ones, too) and not "test out," so I retain the info. I'm not opposed to that; I'd rather test out of things that would actually be in my major if I went the Soc. route.

Also, when I say physics or organic chemistry, many/a lot of health programs don't require physics, and only either a semester of biochemistry or organic chemistry. Here's an example: https://www.amc.edu/academic/PhysicianAs...sions.html where there's no physics, and the only science electives you'd need are microbiology w/ lab, anatomy & physiology I & II (8 credits), biochemistry or orgo (i'd pick biochemistry if possible as it's more relevant than orgo)

Not trying to push you into any field, but don't exclude yourself from programs or professions due to a dislike or fear of physics or orgo because many/most don't require them.

And yes, you absolutely want to take some science courses particularly upper level ones - there is a lack and probably will be for a long time, a lack of upper level science courses because A) it's too hard for most students who haven't taken a course B) consequentially very little demand. There's little prep material available for the upper level UExcel science exams, and you may not do so well on them due to the lack of information. Only one I can think of is DSST Substance Abuse which is considered upper level, and worth taking for upper level credit (don't think it counts for science though), and it's pass/fail and pretty easy too.

Good courses before going are: biochemistry, anatomy/physiology, microbiology, and possibly genetics (all of them are hard work, but in genetics they go into a bit of technical detail about different mechanisms). That should put you in good shape and also keep all your doors open. Make sure you pick a good instructor - each of these are going to be challenging and you want to find the best ones possible for the best experience and get As.
jmgst71 Wrote:Thanks. I actually have looked at PA school, although I am pretty set on going the exercise science route. Seems they don't require much science past lower-level bio, chem, and physics either. I actually want to take my science classes (and upper level ones, too) and not "test out," so I retain the info. I'm not opposed to that; I'd rather test out of things that would actually be in my major if I went the Soc. route.

My BA is in social science, and then I did what's commonly called a "post-bac" though I did it DIY style. You can read the admissions requirements for the MS Nutrition program I ended up at- the only difference was that when I applied, they required you to hold an RD, which I didn't, so I asked for a special exception to be made (they did) but my sciences were all done via DL. I bring this up because the wording you'll see is pretty similar to what you're describing. I believe that if you're going to study any health science at the graduate level, there's just no way to avoid 8 cr in chem and bio and then beyond that, imo, you need A&P both with lab. Now, higher than that is really up to the program. I did NOT take biochem (though it was a suggested prereq) and struggled through. I also think physics is important in physiology as it pertains to exercise and movement, so you might have to end up with thta one too. I guess in a nutshell, just go slow until you have a plan- you don't want to have to go back and add in a bunch of classes you could have done the first time. Though longer, I could have saved tons of $$ if my science sequence were INSIDE my TESC degree instead of after. Admission Requirements | Grad Applied Nutrition | Canisius College
At the minimum look into anatomy and physiology (probably 1 - 2 semesters for 3 - 8 credits without lab or with it), microbiology with lab, statistics (maybe do ALEKS Statistics).

If you still have even more interest, then look into biochemistry (no lab), and then maybe genetics (no lab) imho.

In this order, it would probably get harder with microbiology, biochemistry and genetics being "hard" for "different reasons." Microbiology is a lot of memorizing of stuff like bacteria, fungi, viruses, etc., plus labs take a lot of time for only one credit, biochemistry is a lot of technical molecular pathways i.e. krebs cycle, glycolysis, etc. and genetics is technical because of the concepts of DNA replication and the different protein transcription factors you'd have to memorize.

Sometimes you feel like towards the middle to end of the course you're trudging along memorizing and learning very technical things, but it'll prepare you mentally for the type of stuff you'll expect in graduate school.

Also, if you're doing exercise science, maybe a kinesiology course (which may or may not require physics), but those are probably hard to find at the undergraduate level I think.

I think if you did all of this you'd be in good shape. No more than 15 - 18 credits excluding statistics (through ALEKS) spread over 2-3 semesters would be very doable.
I already have Bio, Chem, and A&P I all with labs, all A's. And I'm taking A&P II this summer. I'm fine with taking science classes; I have been for the past few years. I just didn't during my first undergrad attempt 15 years ago.

I think this all sounds pretty similar to what I thought; go for the liberal arts-y B.A. degree via mostly testing out on liberal arts, taking science on the side to be ready for grad programs. Thanks everyone. Now to figure out how to schedule CLEP exams. You have to go in person?
jmgst71 Wrote:I already have Bio, Chem, and A&P I all with labs, all A's. And I'm taking A&P II this summer. I'm fine with taking science classes; I have been for the past few years. I just didn't during my first undergrad attempt 15 years ago.

I think this all sounds pretty similar to what I thought; go for the liberal arts-y B.A. degree via mostly testing out on liberal arts, taking science on the side to be ready for grad programs. Thanks everyone. Now to figure out how to schedule CLEP exams. You have to go in person?

You go to https://clep.collegeboard.org/ to buy the voucher. Then I typically call a test center near me ( https://clep.collegeboard.org/search/col...pe=0&op=Go ) to schedule a time to take the test (as well as discuss fees).
I don't typically visit until the day of the test.
Currently studying for: Still deciding.

Done!
2020 - Harvard Extension School - ALM IT Management 
2019 - Harvard Extension School - Graduate Certificate Data Science
2018 - Harvard Extension School - Graduate Certificate Cyber Security
2016 - WGU - MBA Mgmt & Strategy
2015 - Thomas Edison State College - BSBA Marketing & CIS

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What do i Do if an application asks for GPA with a degree from the Big 3? Crt 5 3,153 09-19-2018, 08:54 AM
Last Post: Johmford
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,816 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Help with figuring out TESU History Degree plan AJay5595 10 3,273 09-06-2018, 10:56 AM
Last Post: BAngieB
  Associates degree in Business - Options? allen3373 9 2,618 09-04-2018, 02:57 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  My Technical Studies Degree Plan SRES 17 4,778 08-31-2018, 12:23 AM
  BSBA in Finance Degree Plan from TESU UnbreakablyDetermined 2 2,750 08-30-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Luiscastaneda25
  Has anyone been overlooked for a degree Crt 21 4,939 08-29-2018, 12:06 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Advice on Choosing a Degree Program UnbreakablyDetermined 3 1,936 08-26-2018, 08:06 PM
  COSC 2nd Degree Plan mb232627 5 2,303 08-24-2018, 12:55 AM
Last Post: mb232627
  TESU math degree plan. Am I doing this right? jakepg 9 2,653 08-23-2018, 09:20 PM
Last Post: armstrongsubero