Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CLEP English Composition tomorrow
Hi everyone. I have recently become motivated again in going back to school and trying to get my degree in Construction Management. This is going to sound silly- but I already took the English Composition class and had a high B/Low A the whole way through up until time for the final, which was supposed to be an 8 page essay or so. Anyway, I got lazy and stopped going so I failed the class. I had a C or a B in high school for honors english one semester.. I bought the CollegeBoard practice test for English Composition with only studying 3 categories on IC one-time around and averaged an 82% on that. I'm fairly confident with everything I have seen on IC and the practice test. The "Basic Grammar" sections on IC are not challenging at all. But I really feel like there is more I have to know. I am a fairly good 5-paragraph essay writer. Is there anything else I should look at or any other practice tests you might recommend I take before I take the real deal? I need a 58 on the English Comp w/Essay for my school to accept it. Regardless of whether I pass or fail, I plan on studying my ass off for many CLEP/DANTES exams this summer and next, while resuming normal college courses this coming fall/spring.

Edit: Also, how many hours do you all put toward studying a subject you plan to test for CLEP or DANTES? Assuming its for a topic you don't know much, or anything, about. I would say I studied for six to eight hours on this one but like I said, I already took the class and English comes easy for me.
I'd say you're on the right track. I just received my results from English Composition w/ Essay yesterday (scored 54). I used Peterson's, IC, Collegeboard, and REA off the top of my head. I'd say the REA was the closest to the test. I was scoring in the mid 50's on the multiple choice section. I'd look into 5 paragraph essays! I spent about 5-7 hours TOTAL studying for this exam. In fact, I took this about 3 days after Ethics in America. If you're a member and have access to the Specific Exam Feedback section, check it out! There's a load of information that will get you ready for this exam! Keep at it, I know you'll get that 58! :patriot: Also, the designated study time varies from exam to exam. For instance, Introduction to Computers took less than 2 hours of preparation while History of the Vietnam War took about 10 hours. Prior knowledge plays a factor in overall prep time. That's my opinion..
I went to my local Barnes and Nobile and looked through a SAT prep book at the grammar questions. I thought that the questions were VERY similar but of course the SAT and English Comp I believe are both written by the Collegeboard.
Thanks a lot for the replies guys. I am a subscribed member and checked out that section you mentioned. I'm also in the military and signed up for the DOD section I think it was for Petersons? But it's not acting right.. When I try to take the practice test it just puts me in a loop of having to keep putting in my log-in information. Like it keeps kicking me out. I dunno what that's all about. I'll try and read a few more essays and do a few more IC cards on the more complex grammar questions. It'll probably be whatever my essay topic is that plays a key role in how well I do overall.

I also tried to go to a public and school library to check out some sort of materials like the CLEP or REA guides, anything like that. I couldn't find them at either library.

After this one I plan to try and CLEP US History II. I was in honors US History II a couple years ago in high school, but I've forgotten a lot by now. I'm pretty much a WW2 buff... I'll probably put 20-25 hours into studying for this one, looking over a textbook or two. I'm pretty excited ^^
Took the test today. I feel pretty confident I got at least a 50, however I'm not sure if I got a 58+ or not.. Probably like a 54? Haha. I hope not but I'll find out and let everyone know in 4-6 weeks when I find out. My essay could have been better but I think I kept it strictly on-topic, had a decent intro, 3 strong points, used transitions, OK conclusion.. 5 paragraphs about 5-6 sentences each except the conclusion maybe had 3 or 4 I can't remember. Damn I want to know how I did right now! Lol.
I understand. The suspense is a killer.
aksalamander Wrote:Edit: Also, how many hours do you all put toward studying a subject you plan to test for CLEP or DANTES? Assuming its for a topic you don't know much, or anything, about. I would say I studied for six to eight hours on this one but like I said, I already took the class and English comes easy for me.

For me it has varied. Although, I am not interested in just passing- I want to thoroughly learn, retain, and comprehend as well as get the highest score I can on even just a pass/fail test.

CLEP Sociology, I read a HUGE book, maybe a total of 24 hours to read and 2 hours of practice tests over the course of about 2-3 weeks.

CLEP Spanish, I have been learning here and there for a couple of years, so the study time would be skewed by that.

CLEP Information Systems and Computer Applications, I had no time to study for and didn't want to cancel and lose my fee, so I took it anyway and passed. So, a total of 1/2 hour probably.

ECE is a different species of test, I can't even begin to count how many hours it took me to go through ALL of the texts, master each domain of evaluation and memorize tons of minute details of Cultural Diversity, but it was significantly less than half of the 120 some-odd hours that they suggest that you study for it.

The point is, how long it takes depends on the test and depends on you, so it would be impossible to come up with a universally useful average.
SMS, SGB, GEN, NG, TG16, NES, SNES

[Image: ccoDZ6X.png]

My daughter is taking English Comp w/ Essay tommorow after 3 weeks of intense study. I know she can't wait to have this one done.

Passed:

American Gov, US History 1, US History 2, Computing, Info Systems, Humanities, Sociology, Art, Western Civ I, Western Civ II, Social Sciences and History, Civil War, Business, Vietnam, A&I Lit, Law Enforcement and Criminal Justice, American Lit, English Lit, Astronomy, Supervision, 1 FEMA, Total -79
Quote:My daughter is taking English Comp w/ Essay tommorow after 3 weeks of intense study. I know she can't wait to have this one done.

Good luck today!
[SIZE="2"]
-Justin
PMP, CISSP, A+, Sec+, MCDST, ITIL
Total Credits Earned: 162

www.Free-Clep-Prep.com - (with Forum Admin's permission)

[/SIZE]
I'd like to piggyback and wish her good luck, too! Three weeks of intense study time will secure a solid pass! cheersmate

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AP, CLEP, IB, vs others - Comparison/Example bjcheung77 0 505 08-11-2023, 12:12 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  77 Online credit courses in English from Germany - from €16/ECTS FrHaseKopf 19 6,747 04-22-2023, 01:27 AM
  Where can I find a cheap college-level writing/composition course ftlclam 4 804 02-27-2023, 11:28 PM
Last Post: ftlclam
  Saudi Scholarship: No funding for English studies bjcheung77 2 769 12-13-2022, 08:43 AM
Last Post: Fewind
  AP, CLEP, etc - Credit Banking on Credly bjcheung77 2 1,841 09-02-2022, 12:16 PM
Last Post: vintage_jacket
  combine CLEP & ACTFL? defmo 5 847 08-05-2022, 08:58 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  English 2 Jennr2z 2 614 05-28-2022, 05:22 PM
Last Post: Jennr2z
  English 2 CLEP Jennr2z 6 1,306 05-25-2022, 10:02 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  English degrees besides TESU, UMPI? Ideas 1 874 12-13-2021, 10:00 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  English Language Teaching through to 2023 bjcheung77 0 586 12-05-2021, 01:18 AM