Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CLEP Exam Ranking
(11-28-2018, 08:48 AM)cookderosa Wrote:
(11-27-2018, 05:37 PM)Bachinayr Wrote:
(11-27-2018, 05:12 PM)mysonx3 Wrote: At TESU, you only need 4 institutional credits: the 3-credit capstone and 1-credit cornerstone

Wow! I think I'll take another look at TESU. Thanks for the info.

So, as you look at schools, the Big 3 have the lowest institutional requirement of any accredited colleges in teh USA (that's why they got the pet name) but the strategy being used is to max out the transfer policy by taking EVERYTHING away/ apart from the school.  To do this, you can create a patchwork quilt of credits and then send everything (perfectly aligned, of course) to the school and voila, you're ready to take 1-2 classes and graduate.  That kind of planning only works if you're highly motivated and a little bit brave.  Wink
If you want an advisor to plan your classes and to take the classes through the college instead, the big 3 are VERY expensive. You can, of course do that - most of their students are doing that, but this board comes at it differently.

Hi Cookderosa, what you're saying make senses and aligns with what I'm thinking. I guess I still need to see how many of my previous ITT credits TESU would accept for their B.S degree, and then take as many exams as possible for the remaining courses, right? Are there any other requirements I need to consider or plan for this "fast track" method?
(11-28-2018, 11:43 AM)Bachinayr Wrote:
(11-27-2018, 05:12 PM)mysonx3 Wrote: At TESU, you only need 4 institutional credits: the 3-credit capstone and 1-credit cornerstone

So, as you look at schools, the Big 3 have the lowest institutional requirement of any accredited colleges in teh USA (that's why they got the pet name) but the strategy being used is to max out the transfer policy by taking EVERYTHING away/ apart from the school.  To do this, you can create a patchwork quilt of credits and then send everything (perfectly aligned, of course) to the school and voila, you're ready to take 1-2 classes and graduate.  That kind of planning only works if you're highly motivated and a little bit brave.  Wink
If you want an advisor to plan your classes and to take the classes through the college instead, the big 3 are VERY expensive. You can, of course do that - most of their students are doing that, but this board comes at it differently.

Hi Cookderosa, what you're saying make senses and aligns with what I'm thinking. I guess I still need to see how many of my previous ITT credits TESU would accept for their B.S degree, and then take as many exams as possible for the remaining courses, right? Are there any other requirements I need to consider or plan for this "fast track" method?

Tesu should accept pretty much all your previous credits and apply them where appropriate to the degree requirements.

Depending on what degree you pursue, you should be able to use "test out" and a few other "alternative" methods for the majority of your degree, making it significantly faster and cheaper.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
[-] The following 2 users Like MNomadic's post:
  • Cheeseburrito, cookderosa
(11-28-2018, 11:54 AM)MNomadic Wrote:

Tesu should accept pretty much all your previous credits and apply them where appropriate to the degree requirements.

Depending on what degree you pursue, you should be able to use "test out" and a few other "alternative" methods for the majority of your degree, making it significantly faster and cheaper.

What are these other “alternative” methods you speak of? Smile
(11-28-2018, 12:02 PM)Bachinayr Wrote:
(11-27-2018, 05:37 PM)Bachinayr Wrote: Wow! I think I'll take another look at TESU. Thanks for the info.

Here's a small sampling of the common ones we talk about here:
-CLEP
-DSST
-study.com
-straighterline
- onlinedegree.com
- saylor
- Sophia
- TECEPs

Basically, many are able to put together their degrees using a large variety of credits from multiple sources.
There are many sources that are ACE and/or NCCRS approved for credit.

Check out the degree forum wiki for a basic guideline of this approach:
https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Degree_Forum_Wiki

Also, how many credits do you have from ITT or any other colleges?

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
[-] The following 1 user Likes MNomadic's post:
  • Cheeseburrito
CLEP rankings depend entirely on you.
1. How much experience do you have in the topic?
2. Do you enjoy the topic enough to study and learn the material?
3. Are you a good test-taker?
4. What specific courses do you need to take/pass?

For me if I am not confident in something I can't retain the material and I will test very poorly (math). If I enjoy the topic (anything history or art related) I'll absorb the information like a sponge and the test is a formality.

First and foremost, use modernstates.org for your CLEPs. They provide at the very minimum a base-line of things to pass the exams. They also give you a voucher for the exam ($87). The savings is amazing. I use a local test center that charges me $20 for DSST/CLEP, so I get 3 credits for $20.

Dig into TESU/COSC/EC as previous posters have suggested. I was dead-set on UNM's BA in EMS until I found this forum. I got a degree easier, cheaper, and 4x faster. I was even able to bring in a credit for my open water SCUBA diving course for PE. Smile
1. Prep Phase: Hopeless, 15 credits, need a BA fast, never heard of TESU
2. TESU BALS: 121/120 (9 months)

3. RN Paramedic Bridge - Excelsior (9 months + CPNE wait)
4. WGU RN -> BSN
5. BSN -> MSN/FNP
(11-28-2018, 12:46 PM)Cheeseburrito Wrote: I use a local test center that charges me $20 for DSST/CLEP, so I get 3 credits for $20.

If you upload give Modern States the receipts, they will reimburse your $20 - 3 credits for $0!

https://modernstates.org/test-center-reimbursement/
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
[-] The following 3 users Like mysonx3's post:
  • Bachinayr, MNomadic, Muldoon
(11-28-2018, 01:47 PM)mysonx3 Wrote:
(11-28-2018, 12:46 PM)Cheeseburrito Wrote: I use a local test center that charges me $20 for DSST/CLEP, so I get 3 credits for $20.

If you upload give Modern States the receipts, they will reimburse your $20 - 3 credits for $0!

https://modernstates.org/test-center-reimbursement/

Wow, that's unreal! Honestly though, they've provided an amazing service, for FREE and actually paid me to use it. I feel like that's well worth the $20 (or $40 total for my 2 I did with them) personally.
1. Prep Phase: Hopeless, 15 credits, need a BA fast, never heard of TESU
2. TESU BALS: 121/120 (9 months)

3. RN Paramedic Bridge - Excelsior (9 months + CPNE wait)
4. WGU RN -> BSN
5. BSN -> MSN/FNP
(11-28-2018, 12:36 PM)MNomadic Wrote:
(11-28-2018, 08:48 AM)cookderosa Wrote: So, as you look at schools, the Big 3 have the lowest institutional requirement of any accredited colleges in teh USA (that's why they got the pet name) but the strategy being used is to max out the transfer policy by taking EVERYTHING away/ apart from the school.  To do this, you can create a patchwork quilt of credits and then send everything (perfectly aligned, of course) to the school and voila, you're ready to take 1-2 classes and graduate.  That kind of planning only works if you're highly motivated and a little bit brave.  Wink

Here's a small sampling of the common ones we talk about here:
-CLEP
-DSST
-study.com
-straighterline
- onlinedegree.com
- saylor
- Sophia
- TECEPs

Basically, many are able to put together their degrees using a large variety of credits from multiple sources.
There are many sources that are ACE and/or NCCRS approved for credit.

Check out the degree forum wiki for a basic guideline of this approach:
https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Degree_Forum_Wiki

Also, how many credits do you have from ITT or any other colleges?

I have an A.S degree with 128 or so credits from ITT. I know ITT was nationally accredited, but SNHU accepted 60 of my credits and applied them towards their B.S Technical Management program. I'm interested in TESU's B.S BA in General Management, or Organizational Leadership. I'm open to exploring other degrees as well in the BA field where my ITT credits would be maximized. I plan to ask the folks at TESU for some guidance once/if they accept my application.
https://www.excelsior.edu/article/itt-te...-get-help/

So in that case, excelsior may be something for you to look into. Excelsior has been known to accept nationally accredited transfer credits and has worked with former ITT students.

Btw, I'm not sure if tesu would accept your Nationally accredited transfer credits(sorry I was mistaken before).

Excelsior, being one of the big 3 is similar to TESU in that you only need to complete 1 or 2 classes with them and can transfer in everything else. They also accept most of the same tests and other alternative credits as TESU.

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
CSM(3cr)
(11-27-2018, 05:37 PM)Bachinayr Wrote: Wow! I think I'll take another look at TESU. Thanks for the info.

I have a list I put together for my homeschooling blog, it gives a bit of info on each. I realize you're not a homeschooler, but the list is the same either way. https://homeschoolingforcollegecredit.co...ge-credit/

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  No ACE credits on ACTFL exam? Aikuroa 12 1,253 01-09-2024, 07:05 PM
Last Post: vetvso
  AP, CLEP, IB, vs others - Comparison/Example bjcheung77 0 504 08-11-2023, 12:12 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  BIO-208 TECEP exam yellowshehulk 2 950 04-30-2023, 05:46 PM
Last Post: WHOASIS1
  SPECIFIC EXAM FEEDBACK SECTION….. ShotoJuku 1 671 04-01-2023, 10:19 PM
Last Post: katsoulis
  AP, CLEP, etc - Credit Banking on Credly bjcheung77 2 1,839 09-02-2022, 12:16 PM
Last Post: vintage_jacket
  combine CLEP & ACTFL? defmo 5 845 08-05-2022, 08:58 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Intel’s 12th Gen CPU can’t handle the Bar exam bluebooger 3 912 07-16-2022, 12:19 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  English 2 CLEP Jennr2z 6 1,306 05-25-2022, 10:02 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  DSST Exam online gams007 3 1,178 11-23-2021, 09:16 PM
Last Post: NoStudentNoCry
  Prep for College Composition with Essay CLEP ? abs_co 3 1,636 11-11-2021, 07:39 PM
Last Post: LevelUP