Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
COSC BA structure?
(11-21-2020, 03:18 PM)dfrecore Wrote: The CJ major can't be done alternatively I don't think. There aren't enough UL credits available. I know for sure American Studies can't. American Art isn't available alternatively, and you need 6cr there.

Finding exactly this. The two course for American Art in American Studies (maybe a community college instead?), plus CRJ-315 Race, Class & Gender in the Criminal Justice System and CRJ-325 Ethics in Criminal Justice, don't seem to have any alt options. Constitutional Law is also proving to be a bit of a bugbear.
I might have a bit of a hunt around. If I can find them for under $500 each somewhere, and if they come in as UL, I might be able to scrape together the cash. If a course interests me I'd rather pay $800 for a course I will enjoy, than one like Psych stats. It makes no difference ultimately, but psychologically, it makes it easier to sacrifice the money.

Research Methods for Behaviour Science and Victimology no longer being UL is a major downer. I'd have to find ULs for Race, Class & Gender; Ethics in CJ; AND Const Law just to make the UL minimum. It's not looking hopeful, but I'll see what I can find.

(11-21-2020, 03:18 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I forgot to mention: COSC does not require 60cr in GE.  They have specific requirements, but you can meet those through your regular courses, and they'll check off the GE requirements along the way.
I really like this about COSC - a lot more options for electives, so you can pursue more random courses that interest you.

(11-21-2020, 03:18 PM)dfrecore Wrote: If you take Human Geography, it will count as a liberal arts course, for the GE Non-US History or Culture requirement, and for the GE Global Understanding requirement.
I was going to see if ASU's Human Origins will apply for the Global Understanding requirement, but if that doesn't work, I'll give Human Geography a go.
I'm currently doing a BS in Psych from COSC and I can confirm there is no easy substitute for Statistics in the Social Sciences that you're required to have. They won't take regular stats courses

I just took it from them directly. It was fine, nothing crazy
Study.com - 177 CR. TESU - 39 CR. Middle Georgia State University - 15 CR. Sonoran Desert Institute - 42 CR. COSC - 6 CR. Excelsior - 6 CR. CLEP - 6 CR. Sophia - 14 CR. TEEX - 2 CR. Shmoop - 18 CR. NFA - 4 CR. The Institutes - 2 CR. FEMA - 20ish

BA in History/English from TESU. 
BA in Communications from TESU. AS in Firearms Technology from SDI.

(11-24-2020, 11:47 AM)jsh1138 Wrote: I'm currently doing a BS in Psych from COSC and I can confirm there is no easy substitute for Statistics in the Social Sciences that you're required to have. They won't take regular stats courses

Thanks for this - it's good to know it isn't too hard. There definitely does not seem to be much in the way of substitutes for this course. Do you remember the approx cost? Was this the only COSC course that you took?
(11-24-2020, 12:03 PM)innen_oda Wrote:
(11-24-2020, 11:47 AM)jsh1138 Wrote: I'm currently doing a BS in Psych from COSC and I can confirm there is no easy substitute for Statistics in the Social Sciences that you're required to have. They won't take regular stats courses

Thanks for this - it's good to know it isn't too hard. There definitely does not seem to be much in the way of substitutes for this course. Do you remember the approx cost? Was this the only COSC course that you took?

COSC is $1,131 for a 3cr course (with Study.com or SL discount); I gave you several cheaper options in another post if you want to look at those.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(11-24-2020, 12:41 PM)dfrecore Wrote: COSC is $1,131 for a 3cr course (with Study.com or SL discount); I gave you several cheaper options in another post if you want to look at those.

I've got your U of Idaho suggestion on my roadmap! But I'm not entirely confident of my statistics and maths abilities even in the best of cases, so I'm just a little cautious since the U of Idaho courses sound a lot more self-driven. I'd rather pay $1000 for a course I'll pass than $500 for one that I might fail.
I wonder if the Learning and Memory course could be fulfilled with U of Idaho's Psychology of Learning (PSYC390)? They seem a very close match, if not synonymous.
(11-14-2020, 04:44 PM)pid=\322053 Wrote:I think in this instance, you are better off going through TESU for a Psych degree - they take WAY more SDC Psych courses as UL, and they accept Coopersmith courses as well (TESU does not).

For COSC, generally speaking a BALS with your own options for concentration is cheapest, but once you want a true major, you're better off at TESU.
Is it COSC or TESU that won't take Coopersmith?

Is a BALS cheaper at COSC if one plans to continue with a Masters degree elsewhere later?
(11-27-2020, 07:39 AM)Seagull Wrote: Is it COSC or TESU that won't take Coopersmith?
Charter Oak. The only non-regionally accredited sources of credit they accept are from the College Board (AP/CLEP), CSM Learn, DSST, StraighterLine, Study.com, Saylor, and Sophia.
(11-27-2020, 07:39 AM)Seagull Wrote:
(11-14-2020, 04:44 PM)pid=\322053 Wrote:I think in this instance, you are better off going through TESU for a Psych degree - they take WAY more SDC Psych courses as UL, and they accept Coopersmith courses as well (TESU does not).

For COSC, generally speaking a BALS with your own options for concentration is cheapest, but once you want a true major, you're better off at TESU.

Is a BALS cheaper at COSC if one plans to continue with a Masters degree elsewhere later?

A BALS at COSC is cheaper whether you want to take a master's degree later or not (the cost of the degree doesn't have anything with what you plan to do afterwards).

For COSC, the cost for tuition & fees for 2 semesters and only taking the cornerstone & capstone (so bringing in 114cr) is $3,181.

For EC1, the cost for tuition & fees and only taking the cornerstone, info lit, and capstone (so bringing in 113cr) is $5300
For EC2, the cost for tuition & fees, taking the cornerstone, info lit, capstone, and 2 add'l courses (so bringing in 107cr) is $5850

For TESU, the cost for tuition & fees and only taking the cornerstone and capstone (so bringing in 114cr) is $6654.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(11-27-2020, 02:23 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(11-27-2020, 07:39 AM)Seagull Wrote:

A BALS at COSC is cheaper whether you want to take a master's degree later or not (the cost of the degree doesn't have anything with what you plan to do afterwards).

For COSC, the cost for tuition & fees for 2 semesters and only taking the cornerstone & capstone (so bringing in 114cr) is $3,181.

For EC1, the cost for tuition & fees and only taking the cornerstone, info lit, and capstone (so bringing in 113cr) is $5300
For EC2, the cost for tuition & fees, taking the cornerstone, info lit, capstone, and 2 add'l courses (so bringing in 107cr) is $5850

For TESU, the cost for tuition & fees and only taking the cornerstone and capstone (so bringing in 114cr) is $6654.
So one semester at COSC is even better

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  COSC Credit Registry Won't Accept Credly siege101 16 2,683 02-24-2024, 11:26 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Should COSC Lose Stand Alone Category Here? SophiaPrincess 23 2,744 01-21-2024, 07:12 PM
  Business and Managment BA COSC alt credit option ice.paint 6 728 11-24-2023, 03:14 PM
Last Post: withrown
  COSC New GE Requirements Emmalina 20 2,303 08-30-2023, 02:17 PM
Last Post: topdog98
  COSC DEI requirements SkMama 11 1,031 08-20-2023, 01:24 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  COSC requiremnt for lab course and new Sophia Labs Kab 14 1,285 06-29-2023, 02:33 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  COSC Accepting few SDC credits scottlefoll 54 6,644 06-22-2023, 07:42 PM
  Do you have to write a lot of papers at COSC? MichaelD 10 2,165 08-06-2022, 11:17 AM
  COSC Drops Liberal Studies Concentration Tedium 6 1,879 03-15-2022, 08:41 PM
Last Post: Tedium
  COSC President and Provost on Accountability in Higher Education SteveFoerster 9 1,620 02-28-2022, 08:33 PM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso