Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can't Focus: Going Father Down the Rabbit Holes
It's been over 5 years now since I was introduced to this concept. It sickens me that I have done very little (if anything) to pursue a BS in psychology and a master in social work.

I am struggling with trying to keep myself engaging with a topic long enough to be able to test out of a class. I always come back to it months later, but I feel there is so much to learn and I have made very little progress in the wide spreed of topics in both area of study. It is not that I am not a curious person, I am just very curious about a lot of subjects and find it hard to focus on just the basics. 

How do you guys keep focused on what needs to be learned , and not go off into depths of details which is what you really seek then and want to know now. Thanks!

Janine
(03-19-2020, 04:26 AM)LadySearchDog Wrote: It's been over 5 years now since I was introduced to this concept. It sickens me that I have done very little (if anything) to pursue a BS in psychology and a master in social work.

I am struggling with trying to keep myself engaging with a topic long enough to be able to test out of a class. I always come back to it months later, but I feel there is so much to learn and I have made very little progress in the wide spreed of topics in both area of study. It is not that I am not a curious person, I am just very curious about a lot of subjects and find it hard to focus on just the basics. 

How do you guys keep focused on what needs to be learned , and not go off into depths of details which is what you really seek then and want to know now. Thanks!

Janine

I would say that self-study is not your thing (mine either) so you need to do courses rather than exams.  And, you probably need to mix it up a little too - so do a GE and LL Major course at Study.com one month, then do a Sophia course, then do a couple of things from SL, then ModernStates, then OnlineDegree, etc.

I have used multiple course providers, and never "focused" on any particular area from month-to-month, except Math just because it was easier that way.  I skipped around from topic to topic, and provider-to-provider to try to not get bored.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • LadySearchDog
Janine, you should list what degree you're going for and what courses you have completed already. What we can do for you is list out all the required courses and where to get the courses for cheap/easy/fast. The only thing you need to do is put a schedule in place to complete one by one.

Usually in this case, I recommend working on courses that are not from membership providers such as StraighterLine/Study.com until you have all your general education/free electives done - the reason is there is a monthly fee for these and it all depends on how much energy/time you put into the courses.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
It took me about 5 years to get started as well, with many false starts. I spent a lot of time researching and planning as a form of procrastination. I tried SL first, but I had a hard time with their platform and had multiple technical issues so I ended up giving up without finishing a single class there. Then I did some of the free classes (Sophia/Institutes). Then I tried Modern States, intending to CLEP afterwards. But I got stuck because I felt like it was taking forever, and I had no idea how much information would actually be on the exam, and it felt endless.

What changed everything for me was trying Study.com. Being able to see exactly where I was in the class ("47/123 quizzes completed!") was super, super helpful in keeping momentum. I knew exactly how much was left to do. And with each lesson only being 5-10 minutes long, it was really easy to fit them in. I only wish I had started there first.
TESU, BSBA-HR Completed December 2020

Completed: B&M CC: 67 units applied to degree Study.com: Principles of Management, Principles of Marketing, Computing, International Business, Library Science, Managerial Accounting, Leading Organizational Change, Finance, Organizational Theory, Strategic Human Resources (30 units) Davar: Organizational Behavior, Managerial Communication (6 units) Sophia: Microeconomics, Statistics, College Algebra, Conflict Resolution, Leading Teams (11 units) Institutes: Ethics (2 units) TESU: Business Capstone, Cornerstone (4 units)

Next up: Researching Master's Programs
[-] The following 1 user Likes Muldoon's post:
  • crotique
(03-19-2020, 03:16 PM)Muldoon Wrote: It took me about 5 years to get started as well, with many false starts. I spent a lot of time researching and planning as a form of procrastination. I tried SL first, but I had a hard time with their platform and had multiple technical issues so I ended up giving up without finishing a single class there. Then I did some of the free classes (Sophia/Institutes). Then I tried Modern States, intending to CLEP afterwards. But I got stuck because I felt like it was taking forever, and I had no idea how much information would actually be on the exam, and it felt endless.

What changed everything for me was trying Study.com. Being able to see exactly where I was in the class ("47/123 quizzes completed!") was super, super helpful in keeping momentum. I knew exactly how much was left to do. And with each lesson only being 5-10 minutes long, it was really easy to fit them in. I only wish I had started there first.
I procrastinated a lot too. Study.com was a game changer in me finishing my BACS and BALS psychology. The format really kept me on track. I don't think I would have graduated without SDC honestly.
----
TESU ASNSM Mathematics, BACS, BALS Psychology 2020 graduate 
NolaRice Wrote:
Muldoon Wrote:It took me about 5 years to get started as well, with many false starts. I spent a lot of time researching and planning as a form of procrastination. I tried SL first, but I had a hard time with their platform and had multiple technical issues so I ended up giving up without finishing a single class there. Then I did some of the free classes (Sophia/Institutes). Then I tried Modern States, intending to CLEP afterwards. But I got stuck because I felt like it was taking forever, and I had no idea how much information would actually be on the exam, and it felt endless.

I procrastinated a lot too. Study.com was a game changer in me finishing my BACS and BALS psychology. The format really kept me on track. I don't think I would have graduated without SDC honestly.

Oh yeah, I totally agree - CLEP testing isn't really for me as it's a long drive back and forth from a testing center, plus I have anxiety issues. I am indeed very much in debt to Sophia, StraighterLine, and Study.com for offering such amazing courses to allow me access to the degrees I am interested in, oh and TESU too for accepting them for transfer!!
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(03-19-2020, 01:41 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Janine, you should list what degree you're going for and what courses you have completed already.  What we can do for you is list out all the required courses and where to get the courses for cheap/easy/fast.  The only thing you need to do is put a schedule in place to complete one by one.  

Usually in this case, I recommend working on courses that are not from membership providers such as StraighterLine/Study.com until you have all your general education/free electives done - the reason is there is a monthly fee for these and it all depends on how much energy/time you put into the courses.

bjcheung77,
                   Where on my profile can I list all my credits I've earned in traditional college. And boy will that list be long. I have over 120+ credits. Should I list them all or just the ones a bachelors in psychology is needing? Thanks!
                                                                                                                                         Janine
(04-18-2020, 09:05 PM)LadySearchDog Wrote:
(03-19-2020, 01:41 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Janine, you should list what degree you're going for and what courses you have completed already.  What we can do for you is list out all the required courses and where to get the courses for cheap/easy/fast.  The only thing you need to do is put a schedule in place to complete one by one.  

bjcheung77,
                   Where on my profile can I list all my credits I've earned in traditional college. And boy will that list be long. I have over 120+ credits. Should I list them all or just the ones a bachelors in psychology is needing? Thanks!
                                                                                                                                         Janine

He was saying to list them all here.  LIke this:

School #1 (RA or NA, semester or quarter)
Course #, course name, number of credits, grade if less than a C

School #2 (RA or NA, semester or quarter)
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Friends University-
Intro to geography ,                3 credit
Intro to teaching    ,                3 credit
College English 2    ,                3 credit
Public Speaking      ,                3 credit

Butler Community College-
English comp 1      ,                 3 credit 
Signing Exact 1      ,                 2 credit
student connect     ,                 1 credit
Signing Exact English 2,            2 credit
Child Nutrition          ,               3 credit
Parenting                 ,               3 credit
Signing Exact English 3,             2 credit
Track and Field           ,              2 credit
Conditioning and Weightlifting,    1 credit
Early Childhood Education,          3 credit.     D?
Early Childhood Mentor 1            1 credit
Early Childhood Mentor 2            1 credit
Coop for Education                     4 credit
First Start Early Childhood education     3 credit
Interactionh tecnuqieces             3 credits       D?
Developmental Development  Psychology                   3 credit
Abnormal Psychology                     3 credit
Into to study skills                         2 credit

Cowley County Community College-
Conversation American Sign Language     3 credit
Introduction to Interpreting            3 credit
Early Childhood Education Principles 1     3 credit
NonVerbal Communication                   2 credit

Hutchison Community College-
Human Growth and Development.        3credit
cereer Deciton making.                       1 credit
Success Simnar                                  1 credit
Assertive Training                             2 credit
Acting 1                                          3 credit
Debat and Forensics                         1 credit
Social Dance                                    1 credit
Music Major voice                             2 credit
karate                                             1 credit
choir                                               1 credit
Art of Theater                                  3 credit 
Choir                                              1 credit
voice lessons                                   1 credit
Sociology                                        3 credit

Wichita State University-
Pratic in Signing Exact English           2 credit      D
Cardio Kickboxing                            1 credit      D
voice lessons                                   2 credit
Inprove and theater games               3 credit
voice lessons                                   2 credit
American Sign language 1                   3 credit
voice lessons                                    2 credit
voice lessons                                    2 credits
voice lessons                                    2 credits
weight lifting                                    1 credit
voice lesson                                      2 credit

I must be missing some... it says I have 168 credit hours but I counted 119
I'd enroll at TESU just to be able to use the 'what if' option and see where all these credits fit, to figure out the best fit for your credits.

Looks like a good fit for a BALS with health and wellness concentration.

But it all depends on what do you really want to major in.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  LinkedIN and other job fishing holes High_Order1 21 3,864 02-11-2018, 03:41 PM
Last Post: Merlin
  Happy Father's Day 2013 ShotoJuku 0 671 06-16-2013, 08:30 AM
Last Post: ShotoJuku
  Happy Father's Day 2012 ShotoJuku 2 835 06-17-2012, 05:13 PM
Last Post: marianne202
  Getting a pre-teen to FOCUS jackbanta 20 2,152 10-18-2011, 07:42 PM
Last Post: jackbanta
  Happy Father's Day 2011 ShotoJuku 1 878 06-19-2011, 01:13 PM
Last Post: burbuja0512
  Happy Father's Day 2010 ShotoJuku 0 768 06-20-2010, 08:05 AM
Last Post: ShotoJuku
  Happy Father's Day! ShotoJuku 3 943 06-21-2009, 03:52 PM
Last Post: nick94
  My Father's Hands barcotta 12 2,296 01-02-2009, 11:04 AM
Last Post: Gary
  Happy Father's Day! ShotoJuku 5 1,164 06-15-2008, 08:56 PM
Last Post: DetroitSki
  How do you maintain focus on objective? Lindagerr 11 2,606 05-25-2008, 10:58 PM
Last Post: lrgaul