Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Career Objectives
What do you want to do with your degree? Most of us probably have some reason for wanting our degree (promotion, graduate school, family pressure to get an education, a job in a field).

My reasons: Virtually every career I've ever considered requires a degree. I'm working toward law school, which requires a degree first. Of course, there are other issues too. Even if I never went to law school, I would want a degree just because it looks good on a resume. It's expected. Plus, I simply enjoy learning.

What is motivating you to pursue your degree?
I'm an engineer. Go figure.
I always realized that a degree, any degree, is important career-wise. It's that little piece of paper, those extra letters after your name, that say you're "worth more" than those who don't have them. Sometimes it doesn't matter what your degree is in... I know someone who has a Bachelors in History and works as an information analyst for an insurance company... how did that happen???

Yet, I never stuck with school. I always lost my motivation mid-semester and dropped out, which wreaked havoc on my transcripts! I never had a career goal, never figured out what I wanted to do when I "grow up". Then about 1 1/2 years ago, I realized law might be what I'm really good at. So yes, I too want to go on to law school.

So, here I am, working on getting my BS (the good kind Wink). Every time I get a little discouraged and think, "Ughh, I just can't do this, it's too hard!", I picture myself a few years from now telling someone I meet, "I'm a lawyer", and that keeps me going! Hopefully it will all work out as I hope. But if it doesn't, I'll always have my bachelor's degree, and those 2 letters after my name!
[SIZE="1"]Ana
[COLOR="DarkRed"]96 credits completed (93 by exam)
BS in General Business, Excelsior College (33 credits remaining)
Next exams: DSST Statistics, DSST Business Law 2
Recently taken: DSST Drug/Alcohol (61), CLEP French (63), ECE Gerontology (B Sad), DSST MIS (65), DSST Counseling (54), DSST Ethics (63)[/SIZE][/COLOR]
That's a really good question. I've always been able to get good jobs without a bachelors degree. I'm a technical trainer/software analyst, so my technical certifications can mean more on a resume than a degree.
However, when I got a job developing applications for college entrance, I started thinking that it was kinda ironic that I'm developing a tool that people all over the country use to get into their masters program yet I don't have a bachelors.
But that still wasn't enough to persuade me to go back to school. It wasn't until I moved out of that role and into another role supporting the organization that I point-blank asked my boss if she thought I'd be able to progress at my current company - which I LOVE - without my bachelors. She said, NO, unless I stick with tech roles. And I wasn't satisified with that.
Working for an education-based company has really helped me to stay focused and finish. It made it more tangible than, "geez, I really should finish school..." There's no real motivation in that. I see time and again that it's gotta "hurt" bad enough to make someone change, and that's the case with me. Smile
[COLOR="Purple"][SIZE="2"]
Best of luck,
Joanne [/size]
[SIZE="1"]
31 hours traditional schooling
11 Microsoft exams, 1 Linux+, 2 ICCP's, 6 CLEP's, 12 DSSTs, and 6 ECE's
[/SIZE][/COLOR]
[COLOR="Plum"][SIZE="1"][SIZE="3"]Degree Completed!
BS in Liberal Studies[/SIZE]
[/SIZE][/COLOR]
The corporate ladder I'm on doesn't accept people without degrees. I got in through a back door (had a position with a company that was aquired.) Honestly a big part of my motivation is embarassment. I'm often involved in discussions that eventually wind up discussing schools. I talk vaguely about my time in university in Canada. I stopped my program to support my new wife, then kids came into picture... Stupid reasons had I known what avenues were available. I tried a couple of correspondance schools but did not like them. Now I'm in a prime spot for a director position and it will not happen without the piece of paper. I echo the Excelsior moto "it's what you know not how you learned it that is important" (paraphrased).

This is also why I over study for the exams. I really want to know the material not just get through the exam. I don't view these as "easy credits" but a way of getting them that matches very well they way that I learn.
Dale H.
half way...
Enrolled - BS-BGB Excelsior
Completed - 65 credits
Togo - 4 CLEP, 6 DSST, 2 ECE, 1 EC Course, 1 TECEP
dhlvrsn Wrote:The corporate ladder I'm on doesn't accept people without degrees. I got in through a back door (had a position with a company that was aquired.) Honestly a big part of my motivation is embarassment. I'm often involved in discussions that eventually wind up discussing schools. I talk vaguely about my time in university in Canada. I stopped my program to support my new wife, then kids came into picture... Stupid reasons had I known what avenues were available. I tried a couple of correspondance schools but did not like them. Now I'm in a prime spot for a director position and it will not happen without the piece of paper. I echo the Excelsior moto "it's what you know not how you learned it that is important" (paraphrased).

This is also why I over study for the exams. I really want to know the material not just get through the exam. I don't view these as "easy credits" but a way of getting them that matches very well they way that I learn.

Right on, Dale. Keep plugging away at it. Not only will you get the promotion and have the satisfaction of knowing you did it, but you will also be able to teach your kids the importance of life-long learning, one of the biggest factors that make successful people successful.

Smile
[COLOR="Purple"][SIZE="2"]
Best of luck,
Joanne [/size]
[SIZE="1"]
31 hours traditional schooling
11 Microsoft exams, 1 Linux+, 2 ICCP's, 6 CLEP's, 12 DSSTs, and 6 ECE's
[/SIZE][/COLOR]
[COLOR="Plum"][SIZE="1"][SIZE="3"]Degree Completed!
BS in Liberal Studies[/SIZE]
[/SIZE][/COLOR]
dhlvrsn Wrote:The corporate ladder I'm on doesn't accept people without degrees. I got in through a back door (had a position with a company that was aquired.) Honestly a big part of my motivation is embarassment. I'm often involved in discussions that eventually wind up discussing schools. I talk vaguely about my time in university in Canada. I stopped my program to support my new wife, then kids came into picture... Stupid reasons had I known what avenues were available. I tried a couple of correspondance schools but did not like them. Now I'm in a prime spot for a director position and it will not happen without the piece of paper. I echo the Excelsior moto "it's what you know not how you learned it that is important" (paraphrased).

Yes, my degree, even though unrelated to my new job certainly helped me get my new job with the pay benefit, even though I haven't even completed the degree yet. One more exam left. My new employer is reimbursing me also for the exams. I guess they appreciate the motivation.
You are absolutely right to overstudy to learn the material, especially the job related stuff. I know for a fact that I have been able to comprehend things about statistical data and concepts as well as management concepts because I studied to learn while studying for stats and Princ. of Management.
[COLOR="Blue"]Dan
Douglasville, Georgia
Finished my degree 6-15-06
56 previous college credits (from 1987)
9 Dantes (Statistics, Ethics, World Religions)
9 CLEP (Socialogy, Prin of Management, American Gov.)
67 credits for my A&P license (Airframe and Powerplant)
TESC - BSAST- Aviation Maintenance Technology[/COLOR]
Earning my BA degree meant a difference of roughly $20K per year in salary. Definitely worth the effort, especially since so many credits can be earned through testing.

I'm contemplating taking even more CLEP/DANTES exams for a 2nd bachelors. Over the years, I've taken and passed only 3 - Principles of Management, German, Auto Mechanics I (about 20 years ago). The latter two exams were taken cold. LOL, Auto Mechanics is no longer listed as a DSST.
I never knew the answer to this question until I spent 20 yrs. in the corporate world; Accounting, Customer Service and seven years as a Buyer. I learned that you can be really good at jobs that do not fulfill you. I always wondered how other people could go to work like cattle every day and not seem to want more from life. They were in their niche and I was not.

As a Buyer, which is always considered Operations not Sales and therefore the first $$$$ to be cut from a budget, I was downsized out of my last two jobs. I took three years off to spend with my daughter, examined multiple business opportunities and then decided to revisit my first love-reading.

Since I spend so much time at the Library, I decided I should get paid for it. When I discovered Brad Voeller's book "Accelerated Distance Learning", I knew I was on the right track.

I am eight UL courses from step one of my goal to become a Librarian. The pay "ain't" bad either.
Crystal King
BS Liberal Studies 3.87
Preparing for GRE
Goal Master Library Science 2009

Ambition is the Path to success,
Persistence is the vehicle you arrive in.
I am currently persuing my BSN. I worked as the director of nursing in a few places simply by default because of the nursing shortage but now i want to go back into the operating room which requires a masters degree. Obviously I need the BSN first. I also felt odd sometimes supervising people that had higher degrees than my own. If I could I would just be professional student. Since I have to support myself this is the next best thing. Because of the exam for credit option I am able to attend the nursing classes only one night a week and get all me general ed requirements through testing. Otherwise I would probably never be able to do this.... Good question for a thread!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Possible Career Change - Advice Needed acamp 19 1,508 04-04-2024, 08:19 AM
Last Post: RavindraNagai
  What career move would you make? FAANG Contract or steady work mohelena02 21 2,133 02-08-2024, 07:02 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Life After Career Switch Alpha 1 695 03-04-2022, 02:22 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  What Is The Mobility of Your Career? Kal Di 0 782 02-16-2022, 03:20 AM
Last Post: Kal Di
  How has getting a degree from the Big Three (and others) changed your career or life? schristian10 3 944 01-21-2022, 09:43 AM
Last Post: williammosher
  Do-over - what career would you pick? bethanyneedsajob 29 5,216 09-26-2020, 08:06 AM
Last Post: sambam0812
  ScholarMatch: Become a Volunteer College/Career Coach! PrettyFlyforaChiGuy 9 1,685 06-03-2020, 11:13 PM
Last Post: PrettyFlyforaChiGuy
  Career changes in a lifetime Ideas 8 2,028 02-19-2019, 09:01 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  For those of you who have completely switched career fields... Nodaclu 25 4,002 04-14-2018, 11:14 PM
Last Post: Nodaclu
  Career Options kalishakti 21 3,401 12-29-2017, 01:01 PM
Last Post: originalamyj