Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
For those of you who have completely switched career fields...
For those of you who have completely switched career fields (especially later on in your work life)......how did you do it?

I turn 48 today, been mostly in HR since 1999, and.....I'm done. Burned out. If I could quit tomorrow and never work another day in HR as long as I live, I'd be just fine with that.  Big Grin

But how in the world do I make a major shift like that? My BA in Psych is almost done, and I know I could go get an MS in IT from Patten or WGU fairly quickly, but then what? 

Would that MS in IT really allow me to find work in IT after nearly 20 years in HR?

Maybe the answer is an obvious "yes, of course it would!", and I'm just not seeing it because my confidence and self-esteem are at all-time lows right now.

If anyone has any thoughts, advice, or stories that you can share about utilizing your shiny new degree(s) to make a substantial career change (especially in mid-life or later), I'd greatly appreciate hearing about it right about now, before I drop any deeper into the dumps.

Thanks!
Bachelor of Arts: Psychology - TESU (pending conferral)
120/120 units complete

SPHR (Senior Professional in Human Resources)
Anticipated Completion Date: 3/31/2019

Master of Human Resource Management - CSU Global
Start Date: 7/1/2019
Happy birthday!!

I don't have good insight, I've never switched careers really. But keep in mind that the IT field is one that puts experience first, regardless of your education.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
I'm not speaking from exact experience, but I have an opportunity to make a change, which is more of a shift than a full move to a different department. Not sure if this helps, but basically, I just applied for a job that IS in international business, which is my field, BUT a totally different area.

So, I am using many of my skills, but making a smaller shift if I accept the job.

Up to this point I've sold medical information all over the world. I can go into medical libraries, hospitals and pharmaceutical companies all over and know people.

The new job is also international sales, but in the shipping/logistics area. My relationship skills and understanding of a global environment will help, but I have to start from scratch in this area. I know no one.

So the concept I'm trying to share is more of finding something where a good percentage of your skills will be relevant, but you wouldn't be doing the same job that you've grown to hate. Is this an option? If you can make a shift rather than a total change, you wouldn't even have to go back to school, and more than likely your move would be lateral. (In my case, I'm going from being in charge of Global Sales for my company to possibly being in charge of the Americas. I would call it a small downward move, but the pay is actually better than my previous job lol)

However, if your passion is IT, then go back to school!! Absolutely you can get a job! You can write amazing cover letters to future employers and tell them how your passion for IT drove you back to school... and the same passion will make you amazing at their company. I know it would work!

Just make sure you craft your resume correctly either way. As an HR professional, I'm sure you've seen way more resumes than I have, but I would also suggest making sure that you're not listing jobs from prior to the year 2000 so that you're not too dated.

This sounds very exciting. You can DEFINITELY do it!! NO matter what you do, this is the most supportive and amazing forum, so we're always here to help. (Or at least try to help!)
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
(04-11-2018, 06:13 PM)jsd Wrote: But keep in mind that the IT field is one that puts experience first, regardless of your education.

QFT!!!
Up next:  WGU MSCSIA - Early 2023
Dropped:  WGU MSITM - Wasn't my cup of tea
Completed:  WGU BSCSIA (started 10/1/2018, finished 01/11/2019), Pierpont BOG AAS (5/2018)
Journey Thread (MSITM): https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...TM-Journey
Journey Thread (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ersecurity
Degree Spreadsheet (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/attachm...p?aid=2602

Thank you everyone!

I should have clarified - it doesn't necessarily have to be IT. I was just using that as an example. At this point, I'll gladly consider a Masters in any field where the degree will help me make a shift. At this point, I'm feeling pretty much un-employable otherwise.
Bachelor of Arts: Psychology - TESU (pending conferral)
120/120 units complete

SPHR (Senior Professional in Human Resources)
Anticipated Completion Date: 3/31/2019

Master of Human Resource Management - CSU Global
Start Date: 7/1/2019
You said you are almost done with a psych degree? Thought about a focus on industrial organization? That goes along well with experience in HR. Could become a consultant for organizations and tell them how to run their HR. I know it doesn't exactly get you out of HR work, but you could have more "power" over businesses.
Just a thought.
[-] The following 2 users Like xjarhead1999's post:
  • burbuja0512, Nodaclu
I think you've pigeonholed yourself into what you consider HR - but there are so many different areas of it. I worked as a Compensation Manager and loved it. But I've also worked in Benefits, and was super annoyed by it. I think it just depends on what type of company you work in, and what you actually do. I've been happy at smaller companies where I did all kinds of different things, and at big companies where I could focus on one main thing.

I think you should look at other areas within HR.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 2 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • burbuja0512, Nodaclu
I know several people that transitioned from other careers into healthcare admin. Two that stand out are a ~55 year old lady that had worked as a middle school English teacher and a ~40 year old gentleman that was previously in car sales.
If you’re interested in that world and the IT end, the two certs you can apply and test for without prior experience or specific education programs that I would suggest looking into:
1. CAHIMS through HIMSS
2. CPHQ through NAHQ

Both would require a couple months of dedicated self study if you are going in without the classroom background. Most other certs seem to require a prescribed amount of industry experience.
[-] The following 3 users Like Sparklette's post:
  • acamp, burbuja0512, Nodaclu
@nodaclu - I am the broken record always talking about networking, but at least I'm predictable. How is your LinkedIn profile? Do you have any friends or even long-lost colleagues you can reach out to on LinkedIn? People that you've worked with who know you professionally and who might have some suggestions. At the stage in your career you're at, ideally you should have at least a small network built up.

Also what about looking at companies that you'd want to work for and see what types of jobs are available? The reason I'm asking is that I don't think you need to wait to apply. With the above suggestions in mind, you could just get online and view job descriptions and just apply! This wouldn't work with IT, but in many fields, you don't need specific certificates. As long as you're savvy enough to write a resume that highlights how your skills match the job you're applying for, it could work.

But back to networking... The easiest way to a new job is usually through people you know, not a master's degree. Hiring managers usually look at experience first, education second... at least in any position I've ever held. Therefore I really think your best bet is to see where you have a closest match. Absolutely go for the master's degree, but I would think that a master's could help you reach for higher/better jobs, but not sure about a new field unless it is something specific like IT. I would try as hard as you can to find something different now and then use your education to move up.
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
Also, if possible, try attending some non-industry-specific networking events. My funny story about how I got into healthcare admin was that I wanted a margarita. I was a tag along to a professionals networking meetup at a Mexican restaurant happy hour. I spent the majority of the time casually chatting with one guy. He ended up being the husband of the director of one the departments at the major hospital system in the area and he suggested to her that I’d be a good candidate for one of the positions she had open.
[-] The following 2 users Like Sparklette's post:
  • burbuja0512, dfrecore

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Possible Career Change - Advice Needed acamp 23 1,680 Yesterday, 07:17 AM
Last Post: vetvso
  What career move would you make? FAANG Contract or steady work mohelena02 21 2,152 02-08-2024, 07:02 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Life After Career Switch Alpha 1 703 03-04-2022, 02:22 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  What Is The Mobility of Your Career? Kal Di 0 787 02-16-2022, 03:20 AM
Last Post: Kal Di
  How has getting a degree from the Big Three (and others) changed your career or life? schristian10 3 947 01-21-2022, 09:43 AM
Last Post: williammosher
  Do-over - what career would you pick? bethanyneedsajob 29 5,229 09-26-2020, 08:06 AM
Last Post: sambam0812
  ScholarMatch: Become a Volunteer College/Career Coach! PrettyFlyforaChiGuy 9 1,695 06-03-2020, 11:13 PM
Last Post: PrettyFlyforaChiGuy
  Career changes in a lifetime Ideas 8 2,033 02-19-2019, 09:01 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Career Options kalishakti 21 3,409 12-29-2017, 01:01 PM
Last Post: originalamyj
  HR career with Management Degree? Regards 6 2,820 10-09-2017, 03:13 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77