Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Charter Oak Requiring 80% Study.com Course Grades
The transfer page for COSC at Study.com now states, in the main body immediately under the list of course equivalencies, "As of July 1, 2022, Charter Oak State College requires a minimum 80% course grade in order to transfer credit."

DegreeForum members have previously reported an 80% minimum for transfer to UMass Global formerly Brandman.
[-] The following 7 users Like Jonathan Whatley's post:
  • jch, LevelUP, origamishuttle, Pikachu, ss20ts, SteveFoerster, Vle045
(06-14-2022, 10:08 AM)Jonathan Whatley Wrote: The transfer page for COSC at Study.com now states, in the main body immediately under the list of course equivalencies, "As of July 1, 2022, Charter Oak State College requires a minimum 80% course grade in order to transfer credit."

DegreeForum members have previously reported an 80% minimum for transfer to UMass Global formerly Brandman.

Thank you for sharing! I'm currently trying to get three Study.com courses to COSC under the wire.

Oddly enough, UMass Global is 81.5% for all transfers.
Pierpont Community & Technical College 2022
Associate of Applied Science - Board of Governors - Area of Emphasis: Information Systems
Western Governors University 
Bachelor of Science - Cloud Computing
Charter Oak State College
Bachelor of Science - General Studies - Concentration: Information Systems Studies
Thomas Edison State University
Bachelor of Arts - Computer Science
Associate in Science in Natural Sciences and Mathematics - Mathematics
University of Maine at Presque Isle 
Bachelor of Applied Science - Minor: Project Management
[-] The following 2 users Like origamishuttle's post:
  • Jonathan Whatley, Pikachu
[Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fmedia1.tenor.com%2Fimag...f=1&nofb=1]
BS, Information Systems concentration, Charter Oak State College
MA in Educational Technology Leadership, George Washington University
18 doctoral level semester-hours in Business Administration, Baker College
In progress: EdD in Educational Leadership, Manhattanville College

More at https://stevefoerster.com
I think the big three are getting greedy. They think they will corner people into taking their own courses instead. Their  allure is the fact that they accept these kinds of credit. They are slowly driving away many of their customers to regular state schools. Because at the end of the day. Without study.com , excell exams . Sophia , ect ect. What’s the point in going to tesu or charter oaks if there isn’t going to be an advantage over everyone else. Because god knows their pricing isn’t any cheaper.
[-] The following 5 users Like Pats20's post:
  • FastTrackDegree, jsd, mariobros1985, mcquacks2, smarterby1degree
(06-14-2022, 12:29 PM)Pats20 Wrote: I think the big three are getting greedy. They think they will corner people into taking their own courses instead. Their  allure is the fact that they accept these kinds of credit. They are slowly driving away many of their customers to regular state schools. Because at the end of the day. Without study.com , excell exams . Sophia , ect ect. What’s the point in going to tesu or charter oaks if there isn’t going to be an advantage over everyone else. Because god knows their pricing isn’t any cheaper.

Everyone isn't worried about pricing. How do you think private schools exist? I mean University of Phoenix milked people out of millions. It's not like it's a degree from Harvard.
July 1st strikes again.

This makes it harder to recommend CharterOak.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 1 user Likes LevelUP's post:
  • mcquacks2
(06-14-2022, 02:03 PM)LevelUP Wrote: July 1st strikes again.

This makes it harder to recommend CharterOak.

They're also telling me it's likely that, starting July 1st, at least some of the Study.com courses won't be accepted at all. Namely CS302 & CS303, which I need for my degree, but probably others.
Pierpont Community & Technical College 2022
Associate of Applied Science - Board of Governors - Area of Emphasis: Information Systems
Western Governors University 
Bachelor of Science - Cloud Computing
Charter Oak State College
Bachelor of Science - General Studies - Concentration: Information Systems Studies
Thomas Edison State University
Bachelor of Arts - Computer Science
Associate in Science in Natural Sciences and Mathematics - Mathematics
University of Maine at Presque Isle 
Bachelor of Applied Science - Minor: Project Management
(06-14-2022, 12:42 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(06-14-2022, 12:29 PM)Pats20 Wrote: I think the big three are getting greedy. They think they will corner people into taking their own courses instead. Their  allure is the fact that they accept these kinds of credit. They are slowly driving away many of their customers to regular state schools. Because at the end of the day. Without study.com , excell exams . Sophia , ect ect. What’s the point in going to tesu or charter oaks if there isn’t going to be an advantage over everyone else. Because god knows their pricing isn’t any cheaper.

Everyone isn't worried about pricing. How do you think private schools exist? I mean University of Phoenix milked people out of millions. It's not like it's a degree from Harvard.
I understand that. My point was at $5-$600 per credit hour. A person may as well go to their own state school if the big three are going to eliminate the reason a lot of people choose them to begin with.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Pats20's post:
  • gams007
There are plenty of other options, including schools that will take 90cr of ACE. People will just end up at those schools instead.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • mcquacks2
(06-14-2022, 03:21 PM)Pats20 Wrote:
(06-14-2022, 12:42 PM)ss20ts Wrote:

I understand that. My point was at $5-$600 per credit hour. A person may as well go to their own state school if the big three are going to eliminate the reason a lot of people choose them to begin with.

State schools rarely accept ACE credits. State schools charge an arm and a leg in fees quite often. Sometimes as much or more than tuition. That's always fun. State schools are far more competitive. Tuition in my state is over $400 p/c for in state tuition. Even state schools have a minimum GPA requirement. And 80 really isn't that high of a grade to achieve. I mean for grad school most won't accept someone who has below a 3.0. There are grad programs that won't even look at your application if it's not a 3.5 or above. An 80 is barely above average. These courses on a college campus tend to take longer, have far more assignments, and be more difficult. I personally haven't found any of the ACE courses I took to be more difficult than an on campus course. All of them were significantly easier with the exception of Sophia's Eng Comp2 which has horrible grading and takes weeks to be graded.  

I'm on a few social media groups for Sophia and I'm constantly surprised by how many people struggle with many of their courses. I've seen people complain that Visual Communications was too challenging. If that course is challenging then quite frankly that person is going to really struggle in college and college may not be for them. I'm on several WGU group and I'm amazed at the courses people struggle with. I'm not talking about the ULs. I'm talking about the LL gen eds that should be very easy for someone in college. I'm not talking about math or science which many people do struggle with. I'm seeing many students take their exam 3,4 times. You wouldn't get those multiple chances at a state school. If you fail then you fail. There's no do over.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • jch

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Charter Oak - Statistics rachel83az 0 969 02-04-2021, 03:26 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Charter Oak Application Time Table nilahti2 3 1,638 09-21-2020, 09:16 AM
  Study.com Computer Science 310:Current Trends in Computer Science & IT vanglorious 1 1,048 09-17-2020, 10:04 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  BSBA - English Comp II and study.com credits? ashkir 5 1,419 09-14-2020, 11:17 AM
Last Post: SteveFoerster
  Physics Concentration at Charter Oak State College sciencemathematics1 19 3,503 07-20-2020, 01:44 PM
Last Post: conflitz
  Charter Oak Grad Credit for Undergrad? Clepper43 3 1,314 07-17-2020, 01:06 PM
Last Post: cecilgambe7
  Does Charter Oak still accept ALEKS? Gooberman11 1 1,175 07-16-2020, 02:18 PM
  Charter Oak ends FEMA IS credits 6\1\2020 Glen1 18 4,006 07-02-2020, 07:38 PM
Last Post: shaas
  Charter Oaks CyberSecurity indigoshuffle 7 1,752 04-28-2020, 03:35 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Charter Oaks Computer Science Credits Shyjbh 1 1,146 04-24-2020, 05:19 PM
Last Post: natshar