Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Charter Oak Requiring 80% Study.com Course Grades
(06-20-2022, 11:36 AM)tallpilot Wrote: Nobody likes the concept of 'pulling up the ladder behind you.'  It feels unfair on a visceral level.  Labor markets react to supply and demand.  The professions with salaries that have outstripped inflation have continually increased the entry requirements.  Those that have not have seen wages on a real basis steadily decline.

What these schools are doing protects the value of the degree of the alumni.  It absolutely sucks for those still working toward that goal.

This forum has done a phenomenal job showing an ever growing subset of college students how to complete a degree in a cheaper and less onerous way than the traditional method.  Sadly, we are now a victim of our own success.  I sound like a broken record always preaching that it WILL NOT get cheaper, easier or faster to complete a degree over the next few years.  If you want/need one, doing it now and doing it as fast as possible is the best advice to save money and effort.

I hope the whole rotten edifice of post secondary education (especially in the U.S.) collapses and I think it will eventually from its own bloated dead weight.  However I don't think it will happen on a timeline that helps anyone old enough to be worried about a degree right now.

This is an excellent forum (pun intended) to get together and complain about these types of decisions but expect more of them.  Finish your degree!

Getting degrees at the Big 3 has absolutely gotten easier, and cheaper in some instances, over the years.  TESU has gotten more expensive, but EC has gotten cheaper.  COSC has stayed relatively cheap throughout the years.

BUT, the main thing that happened is that ACE credit expanded and got cheaper.  It is considerably easier now to get 90+ credits VERY cheaply than it ever was.  CLEP is now free if you use ModernStates.  Saylor is cheaper ($5 instead of $25).  Sophia is MUCH cheaper at $99/mo than it used to be for $329/course.  Study.com has double the amount of courses they used to, and MANY UL courses.  Coopersmith has more courses than they used to.  The list goes on and on.

And the ability to get inexpensive RA credit has also expanded: ONU has $50/cr courses including an UL option for non-western History. Many states are offering free tuition right now.

The ability to find inexpensive credit is incredible.

Then, add in inexpensive CBE programs out there: UMPI, TAMUC in-state, SUU, etc.

So overall, the cost to get a degree hasn't gotten more expensive when you add up the cost for the 90-114cr you can bring in, plus the cost for tuition & fees.  I think it's actually gone down for most people.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 7 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • davewill, LevelUP, mariobros1985, origamishuttle, Pikachu, rachel83az, Tedium
> but EC has gotten cheaper. COSC has stayed relatively cheap throughout the years.

but haven't they both decreased the sources of credit they will accept ?

and with EC getting rid of uexcel that really limits choices and increases prices

this is no longer "BA in 4 weeks" territory and hasn't been for years
Except for getting rid of UExcels, I don't think that Excelsior has decreased the sources of credit that they'll accept. AFAIK, they'll still accept NCCRS, ACE, and NA credits.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • origamishuttle
(06-20-2022, 01:16 PM)bluebooger Wrote: > but EC has gotten cheaper.  COSC has stayed relatively cheap throughout the years.

but haven't they both decreased the sources of credit they will accept ?              

and with EC getting rid of uexcel that really limits choices and increases prices            

this is no longer "BA in 4 weeks" territory and hasn't been for years

EC has NOT decreased the sources of credit they'll accept.  They're also the only one of the Big 3 that will accept NA credit.

No, it's not BA in 4 weeks any longer, but that's because of the capstones.  But you could still get 113/114 credits in 4 weeks.

And, BTW - I don't think I've ever heard of anyone besides the BAin4 weeks guy who did that. And his ability to do so was because he was in the military when CLEP and DSST exams were free, and unlimited (meaning you could fail, and go back as many times as you wanted for retakes - which went away long ago).

Comparing now to 20 years ago when BAin4weeks was done - he was ONLY able to get a BALS/BSLS degree.  Now, you can do MANY more degrees, including business degrees with many concentrations, a CompSci degree, Psych degrees, History degrees, and others, all at the Big 3.  So his plan was not exactly user-friendly for most people, especially if you wanted something other than a general Liberal Studies degree.
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • origamishuttle
Actually, if you look at the site here https://bain4weeks.com/examprofile.html you'll see that he got a BSBA and not just a lib studies degree. Otherwise, yes, I agree that it's easier and cheaper now to get a degree than it was then. With inflation, it's a LOT cheaper.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • origamishuttle
(06-20-2022, 01:38 PM)rachel83az Wrote: Actually, if you look at the site here https://bain4weeks.com/examprofile.html you'll see that he got a BSBA and not just a lib studies degree. Otherwise, yes, I agree that it's easier and cheaper now to get a degree than it was then. With inflation, it's a LOT cheaper.

I find it hard to believe that he got the BSBA using just those credits - because he did not take ANY math (no College Algebra, no Stats). That would be odd.
Sorry if this has been posted already, but if you go to the Charter Oak - Study transfer page, Charter Oak has already greatly reduced the number of courses that transfer (around 55), and I think there are only 5 upper level courses listed now. https://study.com/college/school/charter...llege.html
I don't know what the future holds, but I know Who holds the future.
[-] The following 1 user Likes topdog98's post:
  • origamishuttle
(06-23-2022, 06:28 AM)topdog98 Wrote: Sorry if this has been posted already, but if you go to the Charter Oak - Study transfer page, Charter Oak has already greatly reduced the number of courses that transfer (around 55), and I think there are only 5 upper level courses listed now. https://study.com/college/school/charter...llege.html

Those five upper-level equivalencies:
  • Finance 301: Corporate Finance (Finance elective)
  • Health 310: Huamn Resource Management in Healthcare (Health Care Admin elective)
  • Hospitality 301: Hospitality Marketing (elective)
  • Marketing 302: Consumer Behavior (Marketing elective)
  • Marketing 308: Applied Marketing (Marketing elective)
Ongoing: MLIS

June 2022, Thomas Edison State University (TESU): Second degree - BA in Computer Science + ASNSM in Mathematics + Cert. in CIS + Cert. in Operations Mgmt.
e-Packs: Computer Concepts; Industrial Psych.
Guided Study: Comp. Architecture
Online: Intro. to PLA; Database Mgmt.; Software Eng.; Data Structures; Liberal Arts Capstone; DSI-610 (Statistics.com)

May 2019, a residential, RA institution: BA in Political Science and Educational Studies
Relevant equivalencies: MAT-321; MAT-431; STA-315
[-] The following 2 users Like carrythenothing's post:
  • origamishuttle, topdog98
I believe TESU will likely follow suit....they like to do these things together.
Tricia
(06-23-2022, 07:01 AM)mcquacks2 Wrote: I believe TESU will likely follow suit....they like to do these things together.

Maybe, maybe not. For instance, TESU takes numerous providers COSC no longer takes at all, such as Coopersmith, CIS, and TEL.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jonathan Whatley's post:
  • SteveFoerster

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Charter Oak - Statistics rachel83az 0 977 02-04-2021, 03:26 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Charter Oak Application Time Table nilahti2 3 1,645 09-21-2020, 09:16 AM
  Study.com Computer Science 310:Current Trends in Computer Science & IT vanglorious 1 1,051 09-17-2020, 10:04 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  BSBA - English Comp II and study.com credits? ashkir 5 1,428 09-14-2020, 11:17 AM
Last Post: SteveFoerster
  Physics Concentration at Charter Oak State College sciencemathematics1 19 3,516 07-20-2020, 01:44 PM
Last Post: conflitz
  Charter Oak Grad Credit for Undergrad? Clepper43 3 1,320 07-17-2020, 01:06 PM
Last Post: cecilgambe7
  Does Charter Oak still accept ALEKS? Gooberman11 1 1,176 07-16-2020, 02:18 PM
  Charter Oak ends FEMA IS credits 6\1\2020 Glen1 18 4,012 07-02-2020, 07:38 PM
Last Post: shaas
  Charter Oaks CyberSecurity indigoshuffle 7 1,761 04-28-2020, 03:35 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Charter Oaks Computer Science Credits Shyjbh 1 1,152 04-24-2020, 05:19 PM
Last Post: natshar