Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Claiming education expenses on income tax
I'm Canadian and I'm doing my income taxes and as far as I can tell I can claim tuition fees for US institutions. In Canada we have specific tax slips for education deductions, and I'm just wondering if one receives tax slips, such as in Online Student Services at TESU, and maybe I just can't find it. ... Or maybe things are done completely different in the US?

I know there are Canadians who went to these US schools on here. Hopefully there is someone even cheaper than me who ain't about to give up that deduction that can point me in the right direction. I'd give TESU a call but won't be able to do that until Monday.
The US form is a 1098-T. I don't know how that translates to the Canadian system.

For TESU, you can retrieve your 1098-T from https://heartland.ecsi.net/
In Progress: MBA - HAUniv, Anticipated 2024
Completed: BSBA OpMgmt - TESU June 2021

UG - AP Tests: 20 credits | APICS: 12 Credits | CLEP: 6 credits | Saylor Academy: 6 credits | Sophia.org: 27 credits | Study.com: 12 credits | Davar Academy: 3 credits | TESU: 15 credits | Other College: 99.5 credits
GR - HAUniv: 9 credits
[-] The following 1 user Likes Flelm's post:
  • ARhead
Is a US school allowed to issue a foreign tax form? I wonder with international laws if they're allowed to. In the US they have to be registered with the federal government to issue a tax form. I'd imagine it's the same with other countries. I can't imagine a college registering with numerous countries for tax forms. I'm sure that would be a ton of work to follow up on annually.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • ARhead
IANAL and TINLA

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/...anada.html

Quote:Distance learning courses conducted online may qualify for the tuition tax credit if the courses require you to be in virtual attendance, on a full-time basis, for regularly scheduled classes and other interactive course-related activities. You must be able to show that you have met the full-time attendance requirements.

You are not considered to be in full time attendance if you are carrying a minor course load or if you devote the greater amount of time to other non-curriculum activities, such as earning income from employment.

Fees you paid to a foreign university for distance-learning courses carried on by correspondence-type methods, including courses where you study largely at your own pace, and where assignments or work are submitted electronically, do not qualify for the tuition amount.
Ongoing: MLIS

June 2022, Thomas Edison State University (TESU): Second degree - BA in Computer Science + ASNSM in Mathematics + Cert. in CIS + Cert. in Operations Mgmt.
e-Packs: Computer Concepts; Industrial Psych.
Guided Study: Comp. Architecture
Online: Intro. to PLA; Database Mgmt.; Software Eng.; Data Structures; Liberal Arts Capstone; DSI-610 (Statistics.com)

May 2019, a residential, RA institution: BA in Political Science and Educational Studies
Relevant equivalencies: MAT-321; MAT-431; STA-315
[-] The following 1 user Likes carrythenothing's post:
  • ARhead
So distance learning courses MAY QUALIFY, but if work is submitted by correspondence or electronically, they DO NOT QUALIFY. ...What? So how is work submitted? Smoke signals?

And who decides whether the student is "largely" studying at one's own pace?

Also, based on the student's situation, whether they are a Canadian citizen or a "deemed resident of Canada", the qualifications for the tax credit are different. The latter group has it much better for whatever reason I cannot imagine. Either way I definitely do not qualify based on course load and whatever else.
(04-15-2022, 06:29 PM)ARhead Wrote: So distance learning courses MAY QUALIFY, but if work is submitted by correspondence or electronically, they DO NOT QUALIFY. ...What? So how is work submitted? Smoke signals?

And who decides whether the student is "largely" studying at one's own pace?

Also, based on the student's situation, whether they are a Canadian citizen or a "deemed resident of Canada", the qualifications for the tax credit are different. The latter group has it much better for whatever reason I cannot imagine. Either way I definitely do not qualify based on course load and whatever else.

I think "pace" would be defined by whether a course has deadlines, whether it follows a term schedule, etc.

As for deemed residents, there's a note on the page that the term "includes an individual who does not establish significant residential ties with Canada, who stays in Canada for 183 days or more in a calendar year, and who is not considered to be a resident in their home country under the terms of a tax treaty between Canada and that country."

There's also a longer definition in the Canadian Income Tax Act: https://laws.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/I-3.3/page-203.html
Ongoing: MLIS

June 2022, Thomas Edison State University (TESU): Second degree - BA in Computer Science + ASNSM in Mathematics + Cert. in CIS + Cert. in Operations Mgmt.
e-Packs: Computer Concepts; Industrial Psych.
Guided Study: Comp. Architecture
Online: Intro. to PLA; Database Mgmt.; Software Eng.; Data Structures; Liberal Arts Capstone; DSI-610 (Statistics.com)

May 2019, a residential, RA institution: BA in Political Science and Educational Studies
Relevant equivalencies: MAT-321; MAT-431; STA-315
(04-15-2022, 03:27 PM)Flelm Wrote: The US form is a 1098-T....

what if you pay your tuition, then complete the course, then your employer reimburses you ?

do you still get to use the 1098-T ?

well, according to my last tax filing: yes 
and it turned a "you owe $..." to "you get a refund of $..."
Here are a few links you want to review and an example school instructions:
1) TESU form link: https://www.tesu.edu/admissions/tax-forms
This is just a link to TESU forms, it shouldn't apply to you as per the Canada webpage instructions

2) TL11A form link: https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/...tl11a.html
In addition to the link provided earlier, this is the form you should fill in and have TESU fill in the first part
I would submit it to the government just in case you get some refund, it's either that or they will just say no refund

3) BYI instructions: https://www.byui.edu/financial-services/...form-tl11a
Here's a sample set of instructions from BYI, there are many Canadians that go to this institution, their steps are similar
Again, I would try submitting it, the worst case is they say "No" and not apply a refund...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
I can only say that the Canadian and US system totally differs
Hey there! As a fellow Canadian, I understand the confusion around claiming tuition fees for US institutions. The process is a bit different in the US compared to Canada. Instead of receiving tax slips, you may need to request a 1098-T form from your US institution, which will detail the tuition fees you paid for the year.

If you're having trouble finding the form, contact TESU's financial aid office for guidance. As for claiming the deduction on your Canadian taxes, it's always a good idea to consult with a tax professional or use a check stubs maker to ensure everything is done correctly.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Federal Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund II scholarships (HEERFS II) LevelUP 47 6,180 06-08-2022, 01:54 AM
Last Post: jch
  Question about General Education Requirements sprout18 6 954 12-11-2021, 10:36 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Exclamation New General Education Requirements Effective July 1 jch 64 7,848 11-06-2021, 09:23 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  help with general education requirements takamura 5 953 10-31-2020, 09:04 AM
Last Post: takamura
  Coopersmith's Foundations of Education (EDU-501) as UL for TESU BA of English? pws 11 2,467 08-29-2019, 01:34 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  About TESU's General Education Electives romoh 1 979 06-04-2019, 09:52 AM
Last Post: davewill
  TESU General Education Course Options pws 8 1,790 04-04-2019, 09:57 AM
  TESU - General Education electives Jimmy999 6 2,698 01-28-2019, 01:28 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Education Courses Transfer natshar 3 1,155 12-23-2018, 02:11 AM