Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Close to enrolling in TESC, but have a few questions, mainly about load.
Hey guys,

So i just passed two clep exams today for a total of +9 credits. I have roughly 70+ credits, and have been filling my electives and general education as much as i can before i go to TESC. I am aiming at getting my Bachelors in Information Technology.

Anyways, Looking ahead, my goal here is to get this done as quickly as possible. As it is, ive amassed almost 90 credits since the beginning of the year. Money isn't really an issue. I work a decent job, and will have family helping me out. I work roughly 30 or so hours a week.

So my question is, in your opinion what how doable is 15 credits a semester? I have lots of free time to throw towards school, i am good at time management, and I am a hard studier. Also, because i am going into a technology field, i have a lot of computer classes that i will be taking. I currently hold a couple computer certificates, so i am very comfortable with computers, computer programming, basically anything technical is right up my ally. I don't these computer classes as being monstrous in size and concept. I have yet to take any classes, so im not sure what a work load entails, and how difficult it will be. Whatever it is though, im up for the challenge.

Your input is greatly appreciated.
15 is doable. I foolishly took 21 one semester....don't ask.

Where I find the work load is in the quantity of classes, not the number of credits. So, I think taking 3 classes feels the same whether or not those classes are 2 credits or 6. That's just my experience, but at TESC especially, there are 3 classes that are each 6 credits, and in figuring your work load, I'd treat them the same as a single class. Same with labs that are 4cr. I think having 5 classes is a ton of work and will require daily work... but based on what you said, I think you can do it. If you can do your 15 by taking two 6's and a 3, it'll probably be a piece of cake.
I recommend taking no more than 9 credits at first. TESC has 12-week terms instead of the traditional 15-16 week terms. This means you can fit 4 terms into one year. 12-15 credits is normal for 16-week terms. I think 9-12 would be doable for 12-week terms. Just think with 4 terms per year, you can complete 36 credits in one year. Most people only complete 30 credits per year during the fall and spring semesters. They might take a few more credits during the summer. If you can manage 12 credits per term at TESC, that's 48 credits in one year. TESC's courses tend to be writing intensive.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
My understanding is you have to get TESC to okay it to do more than 12 credits at one time. I'm doing 9 at the moment along with a full time job. I think I could have maybe squeezed another in, but that would have probably have taken all my weekends.

Could you do 15 credits at once? Probably. Will it be easy or will you enjoy it (or have even 6 minutes of free time)? Probably not.
As Cookderosa pointed out, the load differs dramatically based upon quantity of courses, but also types of courses. If you're talking about all programming courses with some overlap material, that will be easier to manage than taking a programming course, a Psych course, an English course, a Math course...etc, you get the idea.

Still, 15 credits is doable if you dedicate as much time as necessary to get it done. Some weeks will be easy and you'll barely have any work (honestly, those weeks do happen even with a heavy credit load), while others will be pure chaos and stress, but you'll get through it.
BSBA, HR / Organizational Mgmt - Thomas Edison State College, December 2012
- TESC Chapter of Sigma Beta Delta International Honor Society for Business, Management and Administration
- Arnold Fletcher Award

AAS, Environmental, Safety, & Security Technologies - Thomas Edison State College, December 2012
AS, Business Administration - Thomas Edison State College, March 2012

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESU BALS and Questions TexasTink 20 4,979 09-06-2018, 07:51 PM
Last Post: TexasTink
  TESU BALS w/Concentration questions shadowgem 0 1,703 08-24-2018, 12:40 PM
Last Post: shadowgem
  Need clarification.. Sorry for the newbie questions NoThesis 8 1,980 08-23-2018, 03:22 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  First Post - TESC Academic Evaluation Questions npk32 34 5,583 07-18-2018, 01:03 PM
Last Post: npk32
  TESU First Year Foundations & More Questions Lewis.Yim 8 2,917 06-24-2018, 02:44 PM
Last Post: Lewis.Yim
  questions for my friend's son maplefu 4 1,297 05-22-2018, 08:36 PM
Last Post: maplefu
  Questions about ICCP exams - Calling all IT/MIS Students gus 31 8,888 05-15-2018, 09:21 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  How to get TESU to answer my questions and look at my transcripts? (Discouraged) camjenks 5 1,613 04-24-2018, 09:55 PM
Last Post: Muldoon
  TESU and Study.com partnership/discount specific questions Tripletmom 9 3,344 04-01-2018, 02:23 PM
Last Post: Joeman200
  TESU Academic Eval (Questions - Help Please) Gloddy 6 2,047 03-17-2018, 08:15 AM
Last Post: Gloddy