Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coastline College - ACE Friendly Associate Degree
A California community college with many online degrees/courses accepts up to 40 'experiential' learning credits, which include courses recommended by ACE. A minimum of 12 credits are required to be completed at Coastline. Out of state tuition: $276/credit - situationally making an AA/AS less expensive than TESU & Excelsior.
BABA, New England College, 2019
[-] The following 1 user Likes harrypotter's post:
  • Life Long Learning
Like all public CC's in CA, they are not ACE-friendly; they only give ACE credit for military: "Coastline will award a maximum of 40 units of credit for military training and experience as recommended by the American Council on Education (ACE)." Everyone else is out of luck.

For an AA/AS, all things being equal, not including the cost of courses outside of the school:
COSC is $1,717 (3cr cornerstone plus fees)
Coastline is $3,335 (12cr plus fees)
TESU is $4,285 (3cr cornerstone plus fees)
EC is $4,690 (3cr cornerstone, 3cr capstone, plus fees)

But, be aware that all CA CC's are roughly the same in what you need to get an AA, and it's definitely as strict as any of the Big 3: you need English Comp I & II, Speech, a Physical Science, a Life Science, one of which has to have a lab (and nutrition doesn't count as a science), math, a humanities course, a social science, a "lifelong learning" course, a Cultural Diversity course, and an American Institutions course. They also limit which CLEP exams they will accept (all CA CC's are roughly the same, and none will take Composition for instance), and you can only bring in 30cr max of testing credits.

Overall, you're better off going to COSC at half the price if you're not a CA resident (and many times even if you ARE a CA resident).
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Did they email you with that information? Their current catalog states differently on page 188: “Experiential Learning: Students may receive a maximum of 40 units through experiential learning, including American Council on education (ACE) College credit recommendations, military training and experience, CLEP, DSST, and Advanced Placement towards the experiences in similar subject areas”

There’s no fees beyond $3,335 besides cost of textbooks (a few courses contain free e-textbooks).

There’s 3 different options for general education. Option 1: least amount of credits, general Coastline College associate degree. Option 2: Cal State transfer degree, will have more credits. Option 3: will have the most credits, used for transfer to U of California. My post is regarding option 1 not a CSU/UC transfer which you’re implying, so some of the courses you stated are not required. A science course w/ lab & American institutions are not required for an associate degree at Coastline. There’s no physical/ life science requirement, only 3 units of science. There’s only one English composition course required. Some California CC’s will accept the English CLEP like Barstow Comm College. Coastline also does not require college algebra or higher like COSC does - you can fulfill math competency with: 2 years of high school algebra with grade C or higher, intermediate algebra college course, or elementary/intermediate algebra college course.

I feel like California community colleges push the CSU/UC general education curriculum too much on students so many don’t even realize the possibility of a simpler curriculum.
BABA, New England College, 2019
Well, I stand corrected. In 10+ years, I've never seen a CA CC take ACE credit for anyone except military.

Now, I'm going to guess that they made a mistake in the printing of this catalog, and that they do NOT take ACE credit unless you're military. But I'll be more than happy to find that I'm wrong if I am.

And, if you want to pay twice the price for this as a COSC AA, feel free. I will continue to recommend COSC for everyone that's not a CA resident.
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
The word of the day, MAY.

direct quote "Upon completion of 12 units at Coastline, students may receive a maximum of 40 units through experiential learning, including American Council on education (ACE) College credit recommendations, Military, CLEP, DSST, and Advanced Placement towards the experiences in similar subject areas."

source: https://documents.coastline.edu/about%20...Credit.pdf

The reality, Coastline MAY accept some CLEP, ACE but its sorta like TESU where its the school's discretion to pick and choose which alternative credits they accept.
[-] The following 1 user Likes HogwartsSchool's post:
  • davewill
Coastline College is one of my long-term life-long learning goals.  Big Grin  

I completed 3 SH in 2019 and I will in Winter 2020 take another 3 SH EM class from a national expert in emergency management who also teaches there part-time.  

Yes, all I need is 12 SH for a few degrees from Coastline.

Coastline took forever to do the evaluation, but Coastline gave me credit for non-traditional credits:
CLEP Exams (they take almost all) see list
DSST Exams (they take almost all) see list
ECE Exams (they take almost all) see list
Military ACE (JST); 
FEMA 1 SH credits (P) from another college; 
non-traditional PLA credits (CR) from Washington State; 
non-traditional CPL credits (P) from Oregon. 
non-traditional CBA credits (P) from Oregon.

Military backgrounds may benefit the most, but others with PLA, CPL, CBA, CLEP, DSST. ECE, etc will also.  It is the best CC in California.
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

[-] The following 1 user Likes Life Long Learning's post:
  • harrypotter
(11-19-2019, 01:35 AM)Life Long Learning Wrote: Coastline College is one of my long-term life-long learning goals.  Big Grin  

I completed 3 SH in 2019 and I will in Winter 2020 take another 3 SH EM class from a national expert in emergency management who also teaches there part-time.  

Coastline took forever to do the evaluation, but Coastline gave me credit for non-traditional credits:
Military ACE (JST); 

Military backgrounds may benefit the most, but others with PLA, CPL, CBA, CLEP, DSST. ECE, etc will also.  It is the best CC in California.

Almost all CC's in CA are similar in what they will take - they all take most CLEP's, many DSST's, just about any school will take ECE exams because they're from an RA school (I'm sure TECEP's and SSA's would come in similarly), and military/JST credits.
(11-19-2019, 12:08 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(11-19-2019, 01:35 AM)Life Long Learning Wrote: Coastline College is one of my long-term life-long learning goals.  Big Grin  

Military ACE (JST); 

Almost all CC's in CA are similar in what they will take - they all take most CLEP's, many DSST's, just about any school will take ECE exams because they're from an RA school (I'm sure TECEP's and SSA's would come in similarly), and military/JST credits.
Coastline won’t take many of the alternative ACE credit used here. My husband, who is also military, sent in his ACE transcript and they took nothing. He only had things like ALEKS, Straighterline, and Study.com on is ACE transcript. 

They did give him a ton of credit and qualified him for a certificate based on his JST.
(11-21-2019, 11:53 AM)nnahh Wrote:
(11-19-2019, 12:08 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Almost all CC's in CA are similar in what they will take - they all take most CLEP's, many DSST's, just about any school will take ECE exams because they're from an RA school (I'm sure TECEP's and SSA's would come in similarly), and military/JST credits.
Coastline won’t take many of the alternative ACE credit used here. My husband, who is also military, sent in his ACE transcript and they took nothing. He only had things like ALEKS, Straighterline, and Study.com on is ACE transcript. 

They did give him a ton of credit and qualified him for a certificate based on his JST.

Thanks for the update.  I was sure they didn't take ACE credits from non-military students.

The State of CA has a pretty strong grip on what the CC's and CSU's accept, and they are pretty standard in what they'll bring in.  This caused more of them to accept CLEP exams, and it caused the CC's to take more DSST exams.  BUT, nowhere have I seen anything on ACE credit for non-military.

Here's the memorandum to all schools on transfer of credits (the CC's tend to follow the CSU's on this):
https://www2.calstate.edu/apply/transfer...015-19.pdf

CLEP equivalency chart (although schools can opt not to take things or apply them as they want, again, CC's follow CSU):
https://www2.calstate.edu/apply/transfer...ogram.aspx

Prior learning for military only (same):
https://www2.calstate.edu/attend/student...rning.aspx

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Credit sufficiency for Pierpoint BOG Degree w/ AoE in IS DEPY 6 397 03-17-2024, 11:55 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Update: Pierpont does not require HS Transcripts if you previously attended college Ares 5 548 03-14-2024, 07:09 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Anyone Have Issues Transferring Earned College Credits to Pierpont? Gumbeaux 17 815 03-07-2024, 11:38 AM
Information Sophia Courses to Avoid with the Pierpont BOG Degree Ares 24 1,462 02-27-2024, 05:40 AM
Last Post: Ares
  Confirm degree completed Carnation 0 440 01-26-2024, 03:18 PM
Last Post: Carnation
  I am finally a college graduate! sixxx2069 7 951 12-18-2023, 03:24 PM
Last Post: mr_peanutbutter
  Degree Approval Timeline for BOG (December Graduation) txc1500 10 1,062 12-13-2023, 12:02 PM
Last Post: txc1500
  Pierpont --- Associate degree question midnite123 17 1,390 11-28-2023, 01:54 PM
  Pierpont to Charge $130 Fee for BOG Degree MissRN 35 3,314 11-08-2023, 02:26 PM
Last Post: NapoleonInRags
  How long does a Degree Audit typically take? 00u00u00 12 950 10-24-2023, 12:48 PM