Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Colleges Using Study.com Format?
Can anyone recommend a college with the following:

1. Presents the classes in a video/illustration format similar to Study.com - Study.com videos have spoiled me and their system is so easy to navigate. I'm struggling to learn the old school way (I earned a BA the old school way)
  2. Allow me to earn credits at my own pace, as my current college is restricting how many credits I can take and I have to wait for the semesters to open
  3. Provide an official transcript without me being a degree-seeking student (I only need some additional credits for my job, I don't need another degree.)
Thank you!
Do the additional credits for your job need to be from an RA/NA institution, or can they be from ACE/NCCRS credit recommendations (through alternative providers like Study.com) as long as they're on an official transcript? Any particular subject?
Ongoing: MLIS

June 2022, Thomas Edison State University (TESU): Second degree - BA in Computer Science + ASNSM in Mathematics + Cert. in CIS + Cert. in Operations Mgmt.
e-Packs: Computer Concepts; Industrial Psych.
Guided Study: Comp. Architecture
Online: Intro. to PLA; Database Mgmt.; Software Eng.; Data Structures; Liberal Arts Capstone; DSI-610 (Statistics.com)

May 2019, a residential, RA institution: BA in Political Science and Educational Studies
Relevant equivalencies: MAT-321; MAT-431; STA-315
I don't know of any school that does things the SDC way. The closest I've seen is going to be ONU (Olivet Nazarine University), but they only have a limited amount of courses available: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Ol...University They are self-paced, though. A close second would be ASU's courses: https://ea.asu.edu/courses/ But these do force you to wait for semesters to open. They don't care how many courses you take, though.

There are only a handful of schools that have true competency-based education. None of these (as far as I'm aware) have courses anywhere similar to SDC.

Most schools aren't going to do this without an exorbitant fee. How many credits do you need? Can they be credits from SDC and elsewhere, so long as they are on a school transcript? One possible solution would be to register for an undergrad certificate from TESU. Then take (or at least pay for) the $50 Medical Terminology TECEP exam to bring you to fully enrolled status. Then, you could take courses from wherever and transfer them to TESU for evaluation.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
The subject is accounting. The credits are for the federal job series accountant. The requirement states the credits need to be of "appropriate type and quality." I'm still researching what is considered appropriate type and quality. After this semester, I'll need 9 credits. So, I'm trying to figure out if I should just stay with my college or if there's a better option. I've taken all the Study.com courses I could, that the college would accept.
(01-23-2022, 02:01 PM)mialo Wrote: The subject is accounting. The credits are for the federal job series accountant. The requirement states the credits need to be of "appropriate type and quality." I'm still researching what is considered appropriate type and quality.

Probably based on OPM's guidelines: https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversigh...l-Policies

Go to the notes on "Acceptability of Higher Education for Meeting Minimum Qualification Requirements," specifically "Non-Accredited/Other" institutions. Here is a relevant excerpt:

Quote:Non-Accredited/Other Education [...] may not, however, be used to meet minimum education requirements, unless it meets one of the following criteria with respect to a college, university, or institution accredited as described in (a) above:
  • The specific courses have been accepted for college-level credit by an accredited U.S. college or university, or institution because they would be creditable if the student were to further his or her education at that institution.
  • The academic credit earned through a special credit program such as the College Level Examination Program (CLEP) has been awarded by an accredited college, university, or institution.
  • An accredited college, university, or institution has identified the course work area(s) or courses for which credit was given for life experience. There must be a direct link between credits given and the course objectives or syllabus, i.e., the course and the life experience must be comparable in nature, content, and level. Life experience credit for courses that are not identified in its course catalog as part of a college or university's curriculum is not acceptable, unless the college or university is giving credit for course work that is a prerequisite for more advanced courses included in its curriculum.
  • An accredited U.S. university or college reports the other institution as one whose transcript is given full value, or full value is given in subject areas applicable to the curricula at that university or college.
Ongoing: MLIS

June 2022, Thomas Edison State University (TESU): Second degree - BA in Computer Science + ASNSM in Mathematics + Cert. in CIS + Cert. in Operations Mgmt.
e-Packs: Computer Concepts; Industrial Psych.
Guided Study: Comp. Architecture
Online: Intro. to PLA; Database Mgmt.; Software Eng.; Data Structures; Liberal Arts Capstone; DSI-610 (Statistics.com)

May 2019, a residential, RA institution: BA in Political Science and Educational Studies
Relevant equivalencies: MAT-321; MAT-431; STA-315
In that case, have you seen these credits? https://www.una.edu/business/accounting-career-program/
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(01-23-2022, 02:07 PM)carrythenothing Wrote:
(01-23-2022, 02:01 PM)mialo Wrote: The subject is accounting. The credits are for the federal job series accountant. The requirement states the credits need to be of "appropriate type and quality." I'm still researching what is considered appropriate type and quality.

Probably based on OPM's guidelines: https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversigh...l-Policies

Go to the notes on "Acceptability of Higher Education for Meeting Minimum Qualification Requirements," specifically "Non-Accredited/Other" institutions. Here is a relevant excerpt:

Quote:Non-Accredited/Other Education [...] may not, however, be used to meet minimum education requirements, unless it meets one of the following criteria with respect to a college, university, or institution accredited as described in (a) above:
  • The specific courses have been accepted for college-level credit by an accredited U.S. college or university, or institution because they would be creditable if the student were to further his or her education at that institution.
  • The academic credit earned through a special credit program such as the College Level Examination Program (CLEP) has been awarded by an accredited college, university, or institution.
  • An accredited college, university, or institution has identified the course work area(s) or courses for which credit was given for life experience. There must be a direct link between credits given and the course objectives or syllabus, i.e., the course and the life experience must be comparable in nature, content, and level. Life experience credit for courses that are not identified in its course catalog as part of a college or university's curriculum is not acceptable, unless the college or university is giving credit for course work that is a prerequisite for more advanced courses included in its curriculum.
  • An accredited U.S. university or college reports the other institution as one whose transcript is given full value, or full value is given in subject areas applicable to the curricula at that university or college.
Thank you! Very helpful!!

(01-23-2022, 02:17 PM)rachel83az Wrote: In that case, have you seen these credits? https://www.una.edu/business/accounting-career-program/

Checking it out now. Thank you!
Which college are you attending and which 9 credits are they asking for? An option is to take some more Accounting courses from other providers that do not duplicate your current work, depending on what you're looking at, example: InstantCertCredit Managerial Accounting comes in as upper level.

The courses you're looking put on a transcript sounds like you're trying to use alternative credit to satisfy the requirements, it will work as long as it's been approved for use at a college/university and applied onto their transcripts, the Big 3 and several offer credit banking services.

However, in order to save cash and not need to graduate from another degree, the easiest is to skip the credit banking services and apply for a second degree at one of the Big 3, then pay for the transcripts with the newest credits applied to the degree... who cares if you finish the degree or not!
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
UNA is your best bet; they're self-paced, and they're inexpensive. Not sure on video-based.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • mialo
(01-23-2022, 02:49 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Which college are you attending and which 9 credits are they asking for?  An option is to take some more Accounting courses from other providers that do not duplicate your current work, depending on what you're looking at, example: InstantCertCredit Managerial Accounting comes in as upper level.  

The courses you're looking put on a transcript sounds like you're trying to use alternative credit to satisfy the requirements, it will work as long as it's been approved for use at a college/university and applied onto their transcripts, the Big 3 and several offer credit banking services.

However, in order to save cash and not need to graduate from another degree, the easiest is to skip the credit banking services and apply for a second degree at one of the Big 3, then pay for the transcripts with the newest credits applied to the degree... who cares if you finish the degree or not!

I took all the study.com accounting courses that I knew my college would accept. I am enrolled in a master's program, so I could just stop and not finish once I hit the 24 I need. The instruction is so dry though. I spend more time navigating their online system than I do learning and completing classwork. I would really like a college that uses the study.com instruction format.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Current Study.com Coupon Codes pws 67 40,349 03-22-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: GoBroncos95
  calculating grade for study.com course Omece 9 1,597 03-20-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 468,447 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
  Disappointed with Study.com (Discrete Mathematics) legenwait4itdary 6 751 03-08-2024, 08:41 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Study partner wanted, incentive offered Simerion 3 365 02-26-2024, 04:14 PM
  Study.Com Upcoming changes to courses Vin 4 1,032 02-13-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  Study.com Statistics? rowan555 16 3,903 02-03-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: oh.golly.molly
  does felician college accept study.com credits? fraggle 4 592 01-31-2024, 03:47 PM
Last Post: indigoshuffle
  Study Managerial Accounting that Transfers to UMPI Indieblue 0 312 01-25-2024, 08:24 PM
Last Post: Indieblue
  Study.com vs Sophia - Time to complete RachelB 2 731 01-05-2024, 01:20 PM