Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
APA word count
I was wondering the general rule of thumb when getting a word count on an essay.  I have always used the entire paper (title page, abstract, body, headings, citation, references, etc) to get the total word count for my essay's.  First time ever, I was deducted points for being well below the word count, the professor only used the body.  I am working on my last couple of classes to complete my BSBA at COSC and am using Study.com.....needless to say, I have had a lot of experience writing papers and am confused by this one instance.

Curious how everyone else gets their word count, and if anyone has experienced this issue.

Thanks!!!

Jody
When I took Freshman English at a community college, the professor counted everything. I cannot recall what the APA style guide said, though. The instructor was pretty easy-going, so she might have let things slide.

That's the nice thing about taking a course with an instructor. What s/he says, goes. You don't have to guess what's expected.
[-] The following 1 user Likes LongRoad's post:
  • jthatcher50
APA says to count everything.

https://blog.apastyle.org/apastyle/2016/...-this.html

https://libanswers.jcu.edu.au/faq/238295
[-] The following 2 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • Diana321, jthatcher50
Huh, guess I never really thought about this. Years ago, my professors at the community college I was attending said that only the body of the paper counts. Friends of mine that attended the bigger universities around here say the same thing, only the body and not title pages/reference pages/etc. But the interwebs seem to have a mixed opinion on this, with most stating that the learning institution sets the rule - which is not helpful in your situation as I don't think study.com is clear on this. I thought I saw mention that APA says everything is included.

All of that to say "gee, I don't know" LOL. The papers I've turned in for TESU and for study.com are all APA, I only count the body of the paper and no one's told me I'm way over on my word count. I'm curious to see what others have experienced with this.
[-] The following 2 users Like Diana321's post:
  • jthatcher50, rachel83az
the Georgia Tech grad course i TA for only counts the body (but we're enforcing a maximum not a minimum word count). we allow any recognized format, not just APA, so this isn't an APA specific issue.

it's just going to vary by professor I would assume, but only counting the body makes sense to me. your 3 page list of references doesn't add to the body of work.

(05-05-2020, 08:50 AM)rachel83az Wrote: APA says to count everything.

https://blog.apastyle.org/apastyle/2016/...-this.html

https://libanswers.jcu.edu.au/faq/238295

your second source contradicts your first Big Grin
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
The second source says to count everything, but your instructor might also say otherwise so ask them. Not really a contradiction, IMO.
As a "rule of thumb" it is always best to assume the worst and hope for the best. In this case, if you're looking to meet a minimum word count, only count the text of the body. On the other hand, if you're trying to stay under a maximum word count, then count everything to be safe.

Logically, when discussing word count, I always assume it means body-only since that makes the most sense to me. Things like title pages, table of contents, references, etc. are just supporting documentation to support the main body of work.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 1 user Likes Merlin's post:
  • rachel83az
agreed!

all words should count. Otherwise what's the point? Don't write the words that don't count, because obviously, they don't count lol!!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Online schools that count PLA for residence? Ideas 5 819 06-18-2022, 05:51 AM
Last Post: durain
  TRACS - WOLBI - Word of Life Bible institute JWells247 16 2,858 06-05-2020, 10:36 AM
Last Post: JWells247
  What to do with my post-bacc sciences and a word about them (med school).. MSK9 32 6,826 09-09-2019, 07:53 AM
Last Post: cookderosa
  Do these courses count as Gen Ed at TESU? monroe18 9 1,707 07-06-2018, 05:05 PM
Last Post: acamp
  CSU Global CBE and Which CBEs Count as CIS Courses sanantone 3 1,870 08-22-2017, 11:31 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Pre Formatted Word Docs in APA videogamesrock 15 1,824 07-29-2016, 10:36 AM
Last Post: edwardfurlong
  Just got word Excelsior is not accepting 48hrs of my credits so I need your help. dr504 19 2,165 02-18-2016, 04:25 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Would all credits from a BSBA count toward an AA in business admin? quickdegree 5 709 02-07-2014, 04:15 PM
Last Post: quickdegree
  Spreading the word defscarlett 2 669 11-06-2013, 02:55 PM
Last Post: JBtesc
  Exams to count towards TESC Communications Electives? scribbler 2 543 10-05-2013, 09:14 AM
Last Post: prateeksg