Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Computer Science
(03-15-2019, 11:19 AM)MNomadic Wrote:
(03-15-2019, 11:12 AM)MNomadic Wrote: Just thought I'd mention this course:
https://ea.asu.edu/courses/introduction-...ng-cse-110

The ASU Earned Admission/Global Freshman Academy introduction to programming course is $400. Not the cheapest but certainly better than taking it at TESU.
The next offering is August. I believe SDC is working on an intro to programming course so that MAY be ACE approved at some point. If it's not approved by August time then(if I were in your shoes) I'd plan on taking the ASU course in August. There are potentially a handful of other online CC or University courses that may be cheaper but will probably have more hoops to jump through and space would be limited.

Excellent find MNomadic, $400 is definitely more palatable than paying $1k at TESU. Also hoping that SDC course would be ACE approved soon. Given a choice I would want to finish the entire degree via SL and SDC as CLEP/DSST testing centers are not available from where I live. 

Although I am not the thread starter, but you guys have been addressing my question on Introduction to Programming credit alternative besides the one offered by OD. This is an extremely helpful and knowledgeable forum, huge thanks to everyone who answered my question and even laid out the complete course fees for us newbies who are not even U.S. citizens.  Cool
(03-15-2019, 11:07 AM)Merlin Wrote:
(03-15-2019, 10:33 AM)shadowgem Wrote: @robert - Are you able to take courses with Straighterline? I think the SL C++ course may fit the computer programming requirement, but I'm not 100% sure on that. I would definitely double check before taking it. 

FYI, it does not meet that requirement because it doesn't come in as an Intro to Programming course, but rather a programming language course. Currently, only the online alt.ed. provider course that meets the BACS Intro to Programming requirement is the one from OnlineDegree.com. If you cannot take that, then you'll need to find another means to meet that requirement (just like data structures). Both of these can be taken from TESU directly, but there are other online schools (community colleges, for example) where you can take them which are cheaper than TESU.

Thanks for clarifying that Merlin. I figured that would be the case, but definitely wasn't sure one way or another. 

@MNomadic that ASU course is an excellent find for International students. Thank you for sharing.

As for the amount of money and time finishing the degree may take you, I feel that with careful planning and being resourceful you can certainly cut down on both from the rough estimate of ~$10k total. The more knowledgeable you are in a subject area prior to beginning any course the easier and therefore faster it will be to complete. Since most of the courses are self paced, the largest advantage imo is that you can spend the time necessary to explore subjects you may not have previous experience in and learn at the pace that is comfortable for you. Watch free MOOC courses, read free College Textbooks found online, binge on Khan Academy or Hippo Campus, watch Youtube Crash Courses, etc to prepare for free prior to taking a course. Then when you do pay for the course or exam the course content will be much more familiar even if the delivery is different and it may help you get through the lessons more quickly. 

For example as suggested if you take advantage of the free Khan Academy courses to learn the math required, when you sign up for Aleks you should be able to complete the College Algebra, Trigonometry, and Statistics courses very quickly as all you are doing at that point is proving (via the exam) that you have already learned the information required for a College level course. 9 credits via 3 exams for $20 will reduce your cost from approximately $300 to only $20, a savings of $280. Likewise all of the content for Saylor courses are completely free. That means you can study the material and take the practice exams until you are fairly confident you can pass the Final exam for free and at your own pace. At $25 per proctored exam, every course you could complete via Saylor would reduce the rough $100 per course estimate and save you $75 per course. And absolutely take advantage of the free credits mentioned in the WIKI. Those 15 credit alone would save you $500 on the overall cost of your degree plan. With studying independently using Khan Academy and then taking the Aleks exams, taking just a couple of Saylor courses, and earning the completely free credits, you could save easily close to $1000 or more over the entire cost of the degree. 

Another way to possibly save some money is if you are able to complete more than two courses in a month at SDC. The College Accelerator plan allows you to take two exams per month, but you have access to all courses during your monthly membership. If you are motivated and have the time, study more than two courses during each month. You can pay for an additional exams during your membership month for only $70 each. This is where careful planning can really be helpful to you. SDC has many courses that overlap, meaning the lessons/quizzes you take in one course may also complete lessons in other courses. Research here on the forums some recommended courses that have overlapping materials and if you are able, plan to take those courses during the same time period. This can help reduce both time and cost. And while $30 savings may not seem like much, every $30 you save could be added to your budget to take one Saylor exam essentially for free. 

Also some content providers run promotions and offer regular coupons. Straighterline comes to mind for almost always having some kind of coupon going on. If you plan to take courses via SL, keep an eye out for any promotion they may have going on. For example some times they offer buy 1 course, get 1 free deals.

And while atm there are not any alternatives to the Intro to Programming for International Students and Data Structures for all, that may (hopefully) change in the future. If I were in your shoes I would map out a degree plan using as many alternative credit providers as possible, being sure to complete all of the free courses first and then start working on the cheapest course alternatives, such as provided by Aleks and Saylor. Work your way up to the more expensive courses as time and money allows. I would then wait until I was closer to finishing all but the remaining four courses that lack alternative course/exam options currently (Intro to Programming, Data Structures, and the TESU Cornerstone/Capstone) and keep checking here regularly to see if any alternative options come up for those two courses. If not, hopefully you were able to save some costs along the way to make the $400 ASU course and the additional Data Structure course more affordable over all. It's always a bit more challenging when money is tight, but don't let that stop you from moving forward towards you goal. Do what you can, as you can afford it and eventually you will reach your goal.  Smile
Guys may i learn that tesu courses that i have to take 6 credits i guess does it require to live in the U.S. Because i don't live in the U.S. And i will take all my courses online. And i saw that some of the courses requires that you should be an exam in a real classroom.
(03-16-2019, 05:08 AM)mgmar22 Wrote: Guys may i learn that tesu courses that i have to take 6 credits i guess does it require to live in the U.S. Because i don't live in the U.S. And i will take all my courses online. And i saw that some of the courses requires that you should be an exam in a real classroom.

Yes, you need to take 6 credits (two courses) from TESU, however, these are online courses so you do not have to attend a physical classroom. It doesn't matter whether you're in the U.S. or not, it is the same for everyone. We have several non-US students on this forum who are currently attending, or previously attended, TESU for their degree.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
(03-16-2019, 05:08 AM)mgmar22 Wrote: Guys may i learn that tesu courses that i have to take 6 credits i guess does it require to live in the U.S. Because i don't live in the U.S. And i will take all my courses online. And i saw that some of the courses requires that you should be an exam in a real classroom.

TESU exams are done online through ProctorU.  No in-person requirement.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(03-15-2019, 11:09 PM)shadowgem Wrote:
(03-15-2019, 10:33 AM)shadowgem Wrote: @robert - Are you able to take courses with Straighterline? I think the SL C++ course may fit the computer programming requirement, but I'm not 100% sure on that. I would definitely double check before taking it. 

FYI, it does not meet that requirement because it doesn't come in as an Intro to Programming course, but rather a programming language course. Currently, only the online alt.ed. provider course that meets the BACS Intro to Programming requirement is the one from OnlineDegree.com. If you cannot take that, then you'll need to find another means to meet that requirement (just like data structures). Both of these can be taken from TESU directly, but there are other online schools (community colleges, for example) where you can take them which are cheaper than TESU.

Thanks for clarifying that Merlin. I figured that would be the case, but definitely wasn't sure one way or another. 

@MNomadic that ASU course is an excellent find for International students. Thank you for sharing.

As for the amount of money and time finishing the degree may take you, I feel that with careful planning and being resourceful you can certainly cut down on both from the rough estimate of ~$10k total. The more knowledgeable you are in a subject area prior to beginning any course the easier and therefore faster it will be to complete. Since most of the courses are self paced, the largest advantage imo is that you can spend the time necessary to explore subjects you may not have previous experience in and learn at the pace that is comfortable for you. Watch free MOOC courses, read free College Textbooks found online, binge on Khan Academy or Hippo Campus, watch Youtube Crash Courses, etc to prepare for free prior to taking a course. Then when you do pay for the course or exam the course content will be much more familiar even if the delivery is different and it may help you get through the lessons more quickly. 

For example as suggested if you take advantage of the free Khan Academy courses to learn the math required, when you sign up for Aleks you should be able to complete the College Algebra, Trigonometry, and Statistics courses very quickly as all you are doing at that point is proving (via the exam) that you have already learned the information required for a College level course. 9 credits via 3 exams for $20 will reduce your cost from approximately $300 to only $20, a savings of $280. Likewise all of the content for Saylor courses are completely free. That means you can study the material and take the practice exams until you are fairly confident you can pass the Final exam for free and at your own pace. At $25 per proctored exam, every course you could complete via Saylor would reduce the rough $100 per course estimate and save you $75 per course. And absolutely take advantage of the free credits mentioned in the WIKI. Those 15 credit alone would save you $500 on the overall cost of your degree plan. With studying independently using Khan Academy and then taking the Aleks exams, taking just a couple of Saylor courses, and earning the completely free credits, you could save easily close to $1000 or more over the entire cost of the degree. 

Another way to possibly save some money is if you are able to complete more than two courses in a month at SDC. The College Accelerator plan allows you to take two exams per month, but you have access to all courses during your monthly membership. If you are motivated and have the time, study more than two courses during each month. You can pay for an additional exams during your membership month for only $70 each. This is where careful planning can really be helpful to you. SDC has many courses that overlap, meaning the lessons/quizzes you take in one course may also complete lessons in other courses. Research here on the forums some recommended courses that have overlapping materials and if you are able, plan to take those courses during the same time period. This can help reduce both time and cost. And while $30 savings may not seem like much, every $30 you save could be added to your budget to take one Saylor exam essentially for free. 

Also some content providers run promotions and offer regular coupons. Straighterline comes to mind for almost always having some kind of coupon going on. If you plan to take courses via SL, keep an eye out for any promotion they may have going on. For example some times they offer buy 1 course, get 1 free deals.

And while atm there are not any alternatives to the Intro to Programming for International Students and Data Structures for all, that may (hopefully) change in the future. If I were in your shoes I would map out a degree plan using as many alternative credit providers as possible, being sure to complete all of the free courses first and then start working on the cheapest course alternatives, such as provided by Aleks and Saylor. Work your way up to the more expensive courses as time and money allows. I would then wait until I was closer to finishing all but the remaining four courses that lack alternative course/exam options currently (Intro to Programming, Data Structures, and the TESU Cornerstone/Capstone) and keep checking here regularly to see if any alternative options come up for those two courses. If not, hopefully you were able to save some costs along the way to make the $400 ASU course and the additional Data Structure course more affordable over all. It's always a bit more challenging when money is tight, but don't let that stop you from moving forward towards you goal. Do what you can, as you can afford it and eventually you will reach your goal.  Smile

Introduction to programming please look a this link https://www.excelsior.edu/exam/introduct...sing-java/

In progress:
TESU - ASNSM ASBA, UNIR- Master Cyber Security
Completed:
TESU - BA Computer Science
(03-24-2019, 05:07 PM)gams007 Wrote:
(03-15-2019, 11:09 PM)shadowgem Wrote:

Introduction to programming please look a this link https://www.excelsior.edu/exam/introduct...sing-java/

Not sure about the Uexcel exam since it is reported as coming in as COS-208 java programming, but another member was recently told by advising that CSU Global SSA Exam in Basic Programming would meet the the intro to programming requirement and come in as COS-300 I believe. Which if that is true could be a double win for international students and an additional UL CS source for US students at TESU  Smile
(03-15-2019, 10:16 AM)robertsted Wrote:
(03-15-2019, 09:02 AM)shadowgem Wrote: Most of the TESU BS Computer Science degree can be tested out of using alternative credit providers., especially SDC for UL required courses. There are several other providers as well such as DAVAR, SL, Saylor, Sophia ect where you can take most of the General Education requirements as well as many of the AOS requirements. The one course I believe that is still missing from alternative credit provider options in the AOS requirements is Data Structures. Alternative courses usually cost approximately $100 per course and are either self paced or a 1 time exam. 

If you have taken courses with SDC, TESU had made an arrangement with lower tuition for any courses ($1125 per course) you must take through TESU and a  lower residency waiver fee ($2200 paid at the time of graduation application) in lieu of not have taken 16 or more credits in residence at TESU. You can currently transfer in up to 114 credit hours to TESU. You must take both a Cornerstone and the Capstone course at TESU.

Assuming a Data Structures course does not become available while you are working on the rest of your credits for your degree and you were starting from scratch you could complete the degree for just under $10K total for the entire degree. I've listed a rough estimate of costs you can expect below.

$75 application fee (paid when you apply)
$1125 Cornerstone course online TESU (paid when you register for this course)
$1125 Capstone course online TESU (paid when you register for this course)
$1125 Data Structure course online TESU (paid when you register for this course; unless an alternative provider or lower cost credit option can be taken)
$3700 alternative credit courses (just a rough estimate of $100 per course depending on providers you choose to take ACE/NCCRS course from)
$300 graduation fee (paid when you apply for graduation)
$2200 residency waiver fee (paid when you apply for graduation)

Thank you for the detailed breakdown of costs involved. As an international student myself I'm in a very similar situation as the OP and would like to pursue the TESU BACS degree. Besides the Data Structures course that cannot be completed with alternative cheap credits, there is another subject Introduction to Programming that can be done affordably via OD but is not available to non-U.S. citizens, do you know of another source of equivalent low-priced provider that I can test out of? I am using the BACS template provided by bjcheung77. TIA

(03-15-2019, 10:00 AM)mgmar22 Wrote:
(03-15-2019, 09:02 AM)shadowgem Wrote: Most of the TESU BS Computer Science degree can be tested out of using alternative credit providers., especially SDC for UL required courses. There are several other providers as well such as DAVAR, SL, Saylor, Sophia ect where you can take most of the General Education requirements as well as many of the AOS requirements. The one course I believe that is still missing from alternative credit provider options in the AOS requirements is Data Structures. Alternative courses usually cost approximately $100 per course and are either self paced or a 1 time exam. 

If you have taken courses with SDC, TESU had made an arrangement with lower tuition for any courses ($1125 per course) you must take through TESU and a  lower residency waiver fee ($2200 paid at the time of graduation application) in lieu of not have taken 16 or more credits in residence at TESU. You can currently transfer in up to 114 credit hours to TESU. You must take both a Cornerstone and the Capstone course at TESU.

Assuming a Data Structures course does not become available while you are working on the rest of your credits for your degree and you were starting from scratch you could complete the degree for just under $10K total for the entire degree. I've listed a rough estimate of costs you can expect below.

$1125 Data Structure course online TESU (paid when you register for this course; unless an alternative provider or lower cost credit option can be taken)
$3700 alternative credit courses (just a rough estimate of $100 per course depending on providers you choose to take ACE/NCCRS course from)
But there are lots of computer science courses in their website. 
$1125 Capstone course online TESU (paid when you register for this course)
$1125 Data Structure course online TESU 
Those courses don't look enough for graduation. Don't we have to take 120 credits for a BSC degree?

Also thanks a lot for your detailed answer.  Smile

mgmar22 take a look at the thread "Beginners Guide to getting cheap credits" last post by bjcheung77 he attached a BACS subject template with all the required subjects being listed using cheap credits, very helpful in planning your studies.

$1125 Cornerstone (3 credit)
$1125 Capstone course (3 credit)
$1125 Data Structure course (3 credit

If you see you have their 9 credits also besides spending $2200 you take 2 other courses from TESU is 6 credits more of that amount.
you ending with 15 credits and they are saying if you are not going to take no more than missing only one credit. If you see is better paying.

You must complete 16 credits via Thomas Edison State University Online (OL), Guided Study (GS) or e-Pack (EP) courses. This requirement may be waived by paying the Residency Waiver fee.
What i not know whats exactly is e-Pack or if they can accept 1 TECEP credit to fill the 16 credit policy.

In progress:
TESU - ASNSM ASBA, UNIR- Master Cyber Security
Completed:
TESU - BA Computer Science
(03-24-2019, 08:28 PM)gams007 Wrote:
(03-15-2019, 10:16 AM)robertsted Wrote:

Thank you for the detailed breakdown of costs involved. As an international student myself I'm in a very similar situation as the OP and would like to pursue the TESU BACS degree. Besides the Data Structures course that cannot be completed with alternative cheap credits, there is another subject Introduction to Programming that can be done affordably via OD but is not available to non-U.S. citizens, do you know of another source of equivalent low-priced provider that I can test out of? I am using the BACS template provided by bjcheung77. TIA

(03-15-2019, 10:00 AM)mgmar22 Wrote:

But there are lots of computer science courses in their website. 
$1125 Capstone course online TESU (paid when you register for this course)
$1125 Data Structure course online TESU 
Those courses don't look enough for graduation. Don't we have to take 120 credits for a BSC degree?

Also thanks a lot for your detailed answer.  Smile

mgmar22 take a look at the thread "Beginners Guide to getting cheap credits" last post by bjcheung77 he attached a BACS subject template with all the required subjects being listed using cheap credits, very helpful in planning your studies.

$1125 Cornerstone (3 credit)
$1125 Capstone course (3 credit)
$1125 Data Structure course (3 credit

If you see you have their 9 credits also besides spending $2200 you take 2 other courses from TESU is 6 credits more of that amount.
you ending with 15 credits and they are saying if you are not going to take no more than missing only one credit. If you see is better paying.

You must complete 16 credits via Thomas Edison State University Online (OL), Guided Study (GS) or e-Pack (EP) courses. This requirement may be waived by paying the Residency Waiver fee.
What i not know whats exactly is e-Pack or if they can accept 1 TECEP credit to fill the 16 credit policy.
TECEPs do not count for residency (unless you are active duty military). ePacks are basically TECEPs but they cost full tuition.
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
E-Packs appear to be very expensive exams. I think when you take epack courses you can avoid actual assignments and take ungraded quizzes with provided study materials until you feel prepared to take the final exam in the course for credit. They don't offer many to choose from, but these TESU courses are offered as epacks. 

TECEPS will not count for residency as far as I know unless you are in the military.

The cost to pay the residency waiver vs taking 2-3 more courses seems like it would be fairly similar so I'm not sure if it would be worth the extra work involved.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AP Computer Science A homeschoolmom1 7 210 03-20-2024, 08:38 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Questions regarding IDSS (through the MITx micromaster for data science path) blablablox 0 175 03-06-2024, 09:58 AM
Last Post: blablablox
  Offspring and Descendents Lead Singers On Why They Got Science PhDs Jonathan Whatley 9 1,204 02-16-2024, 10:37 PM
  Introductory data science courses inor 6 509 02-08-2024, 08:52 PM
Last Post: fmsoa
  Recommendations For 18 LL or 9 UL Social Science Credits harrypotter 3 381 11-08-2023, 07:27 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  So long, computer science — Chaos Studies is the hot new college degree LevelUP 9 1,162 10-15-2023, 11:14 PM
Last Post: MrPanda
Information Coursera Bachelor of Science in Computer Science for $4k! nomaduser 19 3,871 09-16-2023, 06:32 PM
  UMPI YourPace Computer Science ashkir 99 18,841 09-07-2023, 12:06 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Science pre-reqs with No Proctor MeangreenMBA 2 596 06-23-2023, 01:33 PM
  LSU Online Computer Science JO37992 2 747 03-22-2023, 11:16 AM
Last Post: davewill