Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Concentration or general concentration?
Once I earn my degree, what would be the best way to mention a BA-LS with Psychology concentration on my resume/LinkedIn profile? I feel mentioning ‘Liberal Studies’ might actually confuse people, or worse still, create skepticism in their minds. Should I just say BA?
TESU BALS-Psych. + ASNSM(Math) 

TEEX(6): Cybersec. 101/201/301
The Institutes(2): Ethics
Sophia(2): Ess. Of Managing Conflict, Dev. Effective Teams
NFA(1): Comm. Safety Edu.
GED(10): NAS-131, SOC-273, MAT-121, HUM-101 (1)
Study.com(75): Intro to Psych., Soc. Psych.-1, Growth & Dev. Psych., Personality Psych., History & Systems of Psych., Org. Theory, Library Science, Comm. at Workplace, Intro to World Religion, I/O Psych., Ethics in Soc. Sc., Org. Comm., Eng. 104, Eng. 105, History of Vietnam war, Sp. Ed. History & Law, Diff. Ed., Classroom Mgmt., Foundations of Ed., Abnormal Psych., Rsch. methods in Psych., College Math, Intro. to Geometry., Calculus (6).
Saylor (15): Intro. to Mol. & Cellular Bio., Comp. Politics, Corporate Comm., Env. Ethics, Principles of Comm. 
TESU (1): Cornerstone, Lib. 495 Capstone.
CSM (3): Quant. reasoning. 
Aleks (6): Trigonometry, Intro to Statistics. 

MS-Psychology; Walden University 
GPA: 4/4
(01-31-2019, 10:53 AM)Supermind Wrote: Once I earn my degree, what would be the best way to mention a BA-LS with Psychology concentration on my resume/LinkedIn profile? I feel mentioning ‘Liberal Studies’ might actually confuse people, or worse still, create skepticism in their minds. Should I just say BA?

What kind of job are you trying to get? Do you have work experience in the field? Are you wanting recruiters to contact you? Will you be using your LinkedIn profile to automatically fill in job applications?

Recruiters are conducting searches based on skills and/or education that are required or desired for a position. They aren't going to randomly contact anyone who has a BA. I wouldn't have had an IT recruiter contact me if I didn't list my BSBA in CIS. 

If you're trying to work in the public sector in the human services field, then LinkedIn is not really a place where you get jobs. Government agencies are particular about having people fill out detailed applications through the portals of their choice. I only have LinkedIn to stay in touch with colleagues and because some application systems will link to LinkedIn and fill in your information more accurately than parsing a resume.

There are hardly any job ads that specifically list social science as a required degree, yet, I have had no trouble landing jobs that required a degree in psychology, sociology, or a related field. HR professionals aren't the brightest people in the world, but they know what social science is.

I just noticed that Douglas Abbey does list what his degree is in on his online bio. MCP stands for Master of City Planning.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
(01-31-2019, 10:53 AM)Supermind Wrote: Once I earn my degree, what would be the best way to mention a BA-LS with Psychology concentration on my resume/LinkedIn profile? I feel mentioning ‘Liberal Studies’ might actually confuse people, or worse still, create skepticism in their minds. Should I just say BA?

I'd put "BA in Liberal Studies with concentration in Psychology" for most jobs.

Is the concentration listed on the TESU BALS transcript or does it just say Liberal Studies. You could get challenged in most public sector jobs for not meeting the formal minimum degree requirements. The HR folks (and the worker bees that don't like you) are often pretty inflexible on issues like this to avoid the appearance of nepotism.
TESU BA CS and Math (graduated December 2016)
HR is also using software to scan resumes and applications, so leaving the psychology concentration off could have you eliminated from jobs asking for a psychology degree.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
Ideas Wrote:
Supermind Wrote:Once I earn my degree, what would be the best way to mention a BA-LS with Psychology concentration on my resume/LinkedIn profile? I feel mentioning ‘Liberal Studies’ might actually confuse people, or worse still, create skepticism in their minds. Should I just say BA?

I'd put "BA in Liberal Studies with concentration in Psychology" for most jobs.

TrailRunr Wrote:Is the concentration listed on the TESU BALS transcript or does it just say Liberal Studies. You could get challenged in most public sector jobs for not meeting the formal minimum degree requirements. The HR folks (and the worker bees that don't like you) are often pretty inflexible on issues like this to avoid the appearance of nepotism.

Basically, on the transcript it will show as - Bachelors of Arts Liberal Studies - and under that Concentration: Psychology
Thus, I will recommend how Ideas put it - BA in Liberal Studies with concentration in Psychology - not more/not less.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  General Thanks And Where I'm Headed Now TINASAM 3 419 10-22-2023, 01:29 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  SUU Bachelor of General Studies (Speedway) EDUxplorer 10 1,928 04-18-2023, 12:43 AM
  Cheap general science courses? Preferably online. Drakemoore 8 1,340 12-27-2022, 03:29 PM
Last Post: Cofffeee
  Allied Health General Science Courses? threecats 7 962 07-08-2022, 11:58 PM
  Easiest math general education options? Math avoidant 5 2,106 05-07-2022, 01:24 AM
Last Post: Math avoidant
  Concentration, Major, Minor are mentioned in the diploma? MrPanda 8 1,025 11-14-2021, 01:06 PM
  Can you help me with my general ed? Areyes2511 25 2,814 12-21-2020, 12:42 PM
Last Post: ROYISAGIRL
  Does a concentration matter? TwinMom 5 4,770 02-13-2020, 04:31 AM
Last Post: Ideas
  BS general studies with physics concentration: Worth less than a physics major? sciencemathematics1 20 3,907 02-11-2020, 11:57 PM
Last Post: sciencemathematics1
  BALS Criminal Justice concentration questions. Acaidian 6 1,511 10-07-2019, 07:03 PM
Last Post: suzycupcake