Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Considering a Master's in School Psychology from National University San Diego CA
Hello everyone, I've been doing some research on graduate programs, specifically in School Psychology. I'm 40 years old and was working as a Preschool teacher but due to the budget cuts in education I was laid off. Are there any School Psychologists in this forum? Anyone that went through something similar? I would appreciate any advice. My concern is ending up in the same spot I'm in right now but with a $30k additional debt.
I'm not a school psychologist, but my advice is to find the cheapest program that will meet requirements. If there aren't any school psychologists on here, there might be some on degreeinfo.com. This website might help you find cheaper programs.
Online Degree Programs in 'school psychology' | GetEducated.com
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
The school looks to be Regionally Accredited, which is good, but you may want to check State School Psychology Credentialing Requirements to make sure it suits your needs to getting credentialed to actually work as a school psychologist in your state.
Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Wile E. Coyote, genius. I am not selling anything nor am I working my way through college, so let's get down to basics: you are a rabbit and I am going to eat you for supper. Now don't try to get away, I am more muscular, more cunning, faster and larger than you are, and I am a genius, while you could hardly pass the entrance examinations to kindergarten, so I'll give you the customary two minutes to say your prayers.

Bachelor of Science in PsychoRabbitology degree
Master of Education with a specialty in Rabbit-specific destructive munitions (or eLearning & Technology, I forget which)
Doctor of Philosophy in Wile E. Leadership with an area of specialty in Acme Mind Expansion - 2017 Hopefully
I don't know what State you are in but when I was in NJ most School Psychologist were Phd or in PhD programs before they were hired. I would also suggest you go on to your states school hiring site or Schoolspring.com and see how many jobs are open for School Psychologist. I'm sorry to say it is probably not a lot and you may be in the same situation in a few years. If you want to stay in a school environment I would suggest a masters in special Education in Early childhood education. For resonably priced teaching type Masters I would also suggest you look int Western Governors University. This is just IMHO as someone who spent a lot of time and money trying to get into teaching. For me it ended up a dead end but I am much older then you. Good Luck and keep your chin up I know teachers are being let go left and right but I have personally seen districts where there are a lot of older teachers thinking of retiring earlier so they don't lose more benefits.
Linda

Start by doing what is necessary: then do the possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible  St Francis of Assisi

Now a retired substitute Teacher in NY, & SC

AA Liberal Studies TESC '08
BA in Natural Science/Mathematics TESC Sept '10
AAS Environmental safety and Security Technology TESC  Dec '12
Lindagerr Wrote:I don't know what State you are in but when I was in NJ most School Psychologist were Phd or in PhD programs before they were hired. I would also suggest you go on to your states school hiring site or Schoolspring.com and see how many jobs are open for School Psychologist. I'm sorry to say it is probably not a lot and you may be in the same situation in a few years. If you want to stay in a school environment I would suggest a masters in special Education in Early childhood education. For resonably priced teaching type Masters I would also suggest you look int Western Governors University. This is just IMHO as someone who spent a lot of time and money trying to get into teaching. For me it ended up a dead end but I am much older then you. Good Luck and keep your chin up I know teachers are being let go left and right but I have personally seen districts where there are a lot of older teachers thinking of retiring earlier so they don't lose more benefits.

Hi,

I am considering studying for the same program at National University. Did you finish the program? that How did it go? Are you happy with your experience? Please write me back to biblewelove@gmail.com. Thanks!!!
Hi,

I am also looking for a School Psychology, with PPS credential, program. The one I have found is at National University. Do you know anything about it? Have you found any good programs yet? Please write me back here or at biblewelove@gmail.com. Thanks.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Nicaragua seizes all assets from INCAE Business School elcastor21 0 297 09-26-2023, 04:55 PM
Last Post: elcastor21
  For Sale: Young Online University in California bjcheung77 19 2,423 09-26-2023, 10:18 AM
Last Post: elcastor21
  Found: $1,500 (TOTAL) At-own-pace Law School dcan 48 9,063 08-28-2023, 10:34 PM
Last Post: resistk
  Abide University Honorary Doctors Degree bjcheung77 0 542 07-07-2023, 02:17 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Having a dilemma about University Personherebb9 12 1,856 06-07-2023, 06:09 PM
Last Post: IReallyNeedADegree
Question Poll: Just not sure what to major in for grad school and which direction to go! Randyb100 21 1,470 05-26-2023, 03:26 AM
Last Post: Randyb100
  Can I get a High School Diploma after getting my GED and Associates? IReallyNeedADegree 24 2,585 02-06-2023, 07:13 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  What is the difference between College and University (USA) Personherebb9 8 1,285 12-29-2022, 05:39 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  University / Colleges with Grammarly? msa145 1 722 12-18-2022, 01:40 PM
Last Post: Vle045
Exclamation Boston University Doctors Create New COVID Variant that Has 80% Kill Rate LevelUP 10 1,043 10-20-2022, 03:34 PM
Last Post: inf