Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Considering transferring to TESU from AMU
Hello everyone,
I am considering transferring to TESU because of the amount of non-traditional credit that AMU allows(30 credits). AMU has been painless and very flexible with no proctoring of exams and I can start a class any month I want. What are reviews from people that have taken courses from TESU? Based on their website, Ive read that TESU has 12 week courses that start every month and final exams are proctored. I'm wondering how stringent these proctored exams are and how the actual courses are. With AMU, you just post on a weekly forum and respond to two classmates. You would generally have one paper due and a non-proctored final exam.
Since tuition at AMU is $270/cr hour and at TESU is $499/cr hour, I would definitely not make the switch to take actual TESU courses. On the other hand, if you are going to take a few UL courses at AMU, and then switch to TESU to transfer in a bunch of ACE-approved credits, that would make a lot of sense.

You probably need to give us more info - what kinds of courses you want to transfer in, what your degree is going to be, etc.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
This doesn't help you, sorry, but I had a couple questions about AMU (or I guess APU, as I'm not military)...

How many classes can you take at one time? What about in a graduate program? Looks like classes are 8 weeks long, can you finish sooner than that?

Thanks
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
dfrecore Wrote:Since tuition at AMU is $270/cr hour and at TESU is $499/cr hour, I would definitely not make the switch to take actual TESU courses. On the other hand, if you are going to take a few UL courses at AMU, and then switch to TESU to transfer in a bunch of ACE-approved credits, that would make a lot of sense.

You probably need to give us more info - what kinds of courses you want to transfer in, what your degree is going to be, etc.

+1 If you're going to TESU, you would want to take your courses elsewhere and transfer them in when you have about 3/4th of the credits done.
I'm not sure how far you have gone with your classes or education, but do you know how many credits you have? Are you just starting out?
I created a guide for beginners, if you're interested in starting and obtaining credits... you can follow that and transfer your classes into TESU.
First, you need to have a degree in mind and an action plan to get to that degree... BTW, APU/AMU is great for UL transfer credits to TESU.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Military Tuition Assistance pays for all my courses, which is 15 credits every fiscal year. Ive been considering the BSBA CIS and a big plus about it is I've read you can test out of most of the degree. I currently only have 26 credits, most of them being gen ex requirements. In the past month I took US History 1(CLEP) and intro to computers(dsst). I'm not in any kind of rush, but getting credits has become must more feasible for me with the discovery of CLEP testing and I want to continue that for as long as I can.
Perhaps the biggest factor on transferring now vs. later would be the structure of classes at TESU and proctor exams.
If you're not paying for a degree, then either school is good. The upside of TESU is the speed with which you can finish your degree, while still taking courses there.

If I were you, I would start taking some of your upper level courses at AMU, and start testing out of the degree at TESU with CLEP/DSST exams which is also free for you. You don't actually have to transfer to TESU to start working towards a degree there - you just have to work it all into a plan that will work at both schools until you're ready to switch over to TESU.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
The courses run much the same as you describe for AMU. The proctoring is online and fairly simple to deal with.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
cisco4711 Wrote:Military Tuition Assistance pays for all my courses, which is 15 credits every fiscal year. Ive been considering the BSBA CIS and a big plus about it is I've read you can test out of most of the degree. I currently only have 26 credits, most of them being gen ex requirements. In the past month I took US History 1(CLEP) and intro to computers(dsst). I'm not in any kind of rush, but getting credits has become must more feasible for me with the discovery of CLEP testing and I want to continue that for as long as I can.
Perhaps the biggest factor on transferring now vs. later would be the structure of classes at TESU and proctor exams.

Look through the requirements for the BSBA:CIS and start mapping your current credits to it. Figure out what you want to take through AMU. Focus on them and then switch to TESU. In your downtime between courses, knock out some CBE and Straighterline. PLA is also an option.

Here are some you may want to consider taking at AMU.

The CIS courses: Programming, System Analysis, and 2 of the 4 ULs. There are alternative options for Programming and the CSU Global course may count for System Analysis. The ULs are a little harder to fill. I used DSST MIS, DSST Cybersecurity, TECEP Networking, and COSC Software Engineering. With "cisco" in your username, I'm assuming you have some Networking experience, so both the TECEP and DSST MIS should be relatively easy. I thought the DSST Cybersecurity was a challenging exam. If you search the forum, there is a thread with some good info on it.

Gen Ed science requirements: These are some of the more challenging CBEs. Straighterline is also an option.

Stats: ALEKS may be an option.

Intro to Fin Acct, Intro to Man Acct, Finance, Business Law - There are other options, but these may be ones you would want to take as courses.
Andy

---------------------------------

TESC - BSBA: CIS

Current Degree Plan
Complete:  TECEP Eng Comp I, Marriage and Family, Strategic Management, Networking, Computer Concepts, Liberal Math, Tech Writing, Managerial Accounting DSST MIS, Cybersecurity Study.com Macroeconomics
Remaining:  Waiting for credits to process

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESU---Easy Courses and TECEPS midnite123 5 544 01-04-2024, 08:22 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU-----Transcripts??? midnite123 6 393 12-21-2023, 05:19 AM
Last Post: midnite123
  TESU---AA ??? midnite123 15 1,002 11-16-2023, 09:17 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Sophia.org and TESU midnite123 5 1,025 02-20-2023, 04:52 PM
Last Post: jsh1138
  Completed BA at TESU, any free ways to earn another degree? Lightorb333 13 1,901 12-30-2022, 05:24 AM
  TESU Questions midnite123 18 1,264 12-12-2022, 02:52 AM
Last Post: midnite123
  Question about Transferring Credits Nelson Lin 3 714 09-17-2022, 02:17 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  Financial aid for ACE credits ---> TESU? CourtneyBrooke 11 1,355 01-31-2022, 04:36 PM
  "My Valuable, Cheap College Degree" from Athur Brooks, TESU grad now Harvard Prof mahaganapati 10 2,756 12-24-2021, 08:44 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  English degrees besides TESU, UMPI? Ideas 1 861 12-13-2021, 10:00 PM
Last Post: dfrecore