Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coursera.org - Have You Taken Any Courses through Them?
Has anyone taken any Coursera courses? I've just signed up for one taught by a UVA professor. It starts today, and it's on business strategy. I figure it will help me with my business strategy test or course.

There's one coming up on constitutional law by a Yale professor, and one from a ?Duke? professor on slavery in America. Lots of these courses would help us with future classes or tests. I REALLY want to take the one on constitutional law, and the slavery one looks VERY interesting, but I'm limiting myself to opportunities that will help me finish my three final courses/tests: stats, col. alg., and strategic business mgmt. It's exciting to live in these times with these opportunities. It's really amazing. It's weird when I talk to students or parents of students who are having problems with classes. They might have vaguely heard of Khan Academy - maybe - but that's it. There are so many resources out there, and it seems like folks like us are the only ones who know about them. There's no excuse for not learning what you need to learn. Bad professor? Professor who has a mannerism that gets your goat? No problem. Go to class, learn what you can, and then go on-line to learn what you really need - and want - to know.
TESU BSBA - GM, September 2015

"Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway." -- Earl Nightingale, radio personality and motivational speaker
I have taken and am currently taking tons of courses with coursera

I'm currently a TA for Computing for Data Analysis
becoming a TA is easy, just do well in all the assignments and contribute in the discussions

I'm currently taking
Useful Genetics Part 2 - this is a great course, great professor
she takes twizzlers candy and strips of paper and uses them as chromosomes and rearranges them to demonstrate mitosis, and meiosis and corssover
makes it so easy to understand

started this
Drugs and the Brain
but here we are at week 2 and I think I'm going to quit
the chemistry is WAY beyond me
but the course is great

currently taking
Medical Neuroscience
again, great professor, easy to understand, makes things interesting
but this course is no joke
there's about 30 lectures to watch EACH week and each lecture is about 10-20 minutes

I really want to continue this course, but I just don't know if I have the time
because watching the lectures isn't the only thing you have to do (well, technically you don't HAVE to read, but you kinda have to if you really want to do well on the quizzes - or I guess I could rewatch each lecture 2 or 3 times)

I did this
Computer Networks
for about 3 weeks last time it was offered
very technical, learned a lot, good teacher, but let's face it, the OSI model is boring and the course was technical
I'd strongly recommend this for anyone interested in networks, but I'm more of a programmer

also currently doing
How Viruses Cause Disease
can't say anything about it, it just started a couple of days ago and I've been so busy with the Medical Neuroscience that I haven't had time to even look at a video in this course

took this
The Modern World: Global History since 1760
last time it was offered
its being offered again - starting today
great course, love the professor
he doesn't do anything except sit at a desk and talk, but he's just got good mannerisms and a good lecture voice
and the lectures are very interesting

took this before
An Introduction to Interactive Programming in Python
anybody interested in learning Python and also wants to learn make some nice fun little games should really take this course

took this course
Introduction to Logic
although the lectures were good, the discussions were not
no matter how many times it was explained you still got people who vehemently argued the solution to The Monty Hall problem was wrong
and this is wrong, and that is wrong, and ...
these people really needed a course in logic, but really weren't interested in learnnig

did this course
A Brief History of Humankind
it wasn't what I thought it was going to be
thought it was going to be a history course, turned out to more of an anthropology course
best mistake I ever made
great course, interesting material, presented well,

too this course
Virology I: How Viruses Work
way, way, way over my head
quit after 3 weeks
the columbia university grad student who monitored the forums was very helpful
the professors videos were not very good

took
Archaeology's Dirty Little Secrets
loved this course
again, great teacher, good videos, interesting info presented well

took this
Introduction to Genetics and Evolution
good course, good professor, presented fairly well, professor visited teh discussion boards often
just moved too fast for me
I was lost after a few weeks

tried this
The Power of Microeconomics: Economic Principles in the Real World
just found the teacher really boring (maybe its just subject -- can anybody lecture about microeconomics and make it interesting?)
quit after 3 lectures

these all start in a few days
would love to take them, but really don't see how I have the time

Introduction to Chemistry
Moralities of Everyday Life
Disaster Preparedness
Imagining Other Earths
bluebooger Wrote:I have taken and am currently taking tons of courses with coursera

Excellent reviews. I might have to take one of these courses myself.
[COLOR="#0000FF"] B.S. - COSC (December, 2013) :hurray:
20-Community College Courses (2004-2006)
80-Semester Hours at Western Governors University (2010-2012)
15-Charter Oak State College (2013)
12-CLEP
3-DSST
6-FEMA
If I can do it, ANYONE can do it![/COLOR]
I tried to take a couple of Coursera courses on music production, but I didn't have time for all of those videos. The courses were also well below my skill level, so they wouldn't have been of any use to me anyway. I prefer the self-paced format of Udacity, although, I couldn't get through their very boring Java course. Programming is boring regardless. The next thing I'm going to attempt is Saylor. Currently, I'm busy with TEEX/DHS courses. For my instructor position, I have to take continuing education courses related to the subject I teach. TEEX offers homeland security stuff.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  81 Courses in 24 Hours Alpha 29 2,195 09-11-2022, 07:06 PM
Last Post: Pats20
  Modern Languages Launches Online Language Courses LevelUP 0 451 07-23-2022, 11:09 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Most fun/entertaining relevant courses rachel83az 11 1,617 04-06-2021, 02:09 PM
Last Post: jch
  Coursera IPO Alpha 1 794 04-02-2021, 09:49 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  Vested - Free online courses (orientations) bjcheung77 0 901 11-16-2020, 06:38 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Free Udemy Courses padma 3 1,834 03-03-2020, 04:57 PM
Last Post: Merlin
  Article: Moving From 5% to 85% Completion Rates for Online Courses PrettyFlyforaChiGuy 1 1,131 06-12-2019, 01:32 AM
Last Post: Merlin
  Online courses are cost effective but detrimental to learning? shamin 14 2,845 04-03-2019, 05:47 PM
Last Post: ronaldemail1
  US vs foreign tech workers (moved from Study.com New CS Courses) armstrongsubero 17 2,409 12-14-2018, 07:09 PM
Last Post: nyvrem
  Free Ivy League courses Muldoon 3 1,909 11-08-2018, 05:18 PM
Last Post: cookderosa