Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Credit for ALEKS Corp (McGraw Hill) Online courses in College Algebra & Statistics
jonoshamrock Wrote:Zefrench- Are you saying you never actually sat a proctored exam. Yo just completed the neccessary online tasks and had the form signed and evaluated? Then transferred to your Excelsior transcript?

Please tell me i can do this for pre-calculusBig Grin ??

Anyone else trying this neat route?

I am following this with great interest, because am thinking about using ALEKS for my kids, and as they hit upper maths this might be very nice. According to their email reply, you can pay for your plan (month, year, etc) and then that student just continues to advance through the math levels. This seems like another awesome way for homeschooled children to earn college credit! My son loves the computer, so this might be a very motivating way to get him moving through algebra and beyond.

(side note- ALEKS is an awesome program- I spent two days on the trial playing around, and I love the administrative features too. Worth a look)

If it isn't too involved, would someone who is "working the plan" be willing to post SPECIFICALLY how the process works or what steps someone needs to follow to earn credit this way? I REALLY appreciate it!!!!! Thanks!
no one yet could have a math credit Upper or Lower on his degree's transcript from aleks so dont get your hopes up too fast !! besides you got all sort of free math courses online, if some one really wants to learn there are plenty of resources and forums where they can ask questions (just google it) as far as the credit goes, Clep and dantes and even AP(even for home schooled kids) are way better and hassle free. also another thing is that regardless of the subject, the more standardized test you pass, the more you feel comfortable and you become familiar with the test-writers traps, stratagems and also test-stress and time management skills, smart skipping and smart guessing. those skills are invaluable and you cant get that from ALEKS Wink ah one last thing if you get used to learn math with the aleks method, how are you going to do with other math or subjects not covered by ALEKS ? big trouble !! Cool
Update: My credit showed up on ACE a little while back, but I waited to wait to see it on Excelsior transcript.

It is now on my Excelsior student status report.

The process was not really hard, just had to wait a bit is all. (The delay was probably due to the typical high number of graduation in May at Excelsior)

I received 3 credits in Natural Science/Math at Excelsior for Beginning Algebra.

That is great news. I also conformed that Intermediate Algebra and College Algebra would be accepted by TESC.
CMAC80 Wrote:Hi,
I just read your updated post. I have a question in regards to the ALEKS course you took. Did you have to have a proctor exam and if so does it cost anything extra? Also the course you took counted as a Natural/Math science course. So it basically is going to be used for the 27 general arts and science electives. Please let me know if this is accurate.

Thanks,
Charles

No proctored exams, however, Aleks keeps asking the same "problem type" over and over until you get it 100% three times in a row. Then after so many questions, you get an evaluation, which you must also pass, which will include this question, and some previously passed ones, otherwise that problem type is "back to square one", and the process repeats for it. T

This is not a cram and forget process, but rather slow and steady one.

This is not a walk in a park, but it is a different way of doing Math.

This counted as one of my 12 Natural/Math Science requirement at Excelsior
cookderosa Wrote:If it isn't too involved, would someone who is "working the plan" be willing to post SPECIFICALLY how the process works or what steps someone needs to follow to earn credit this way? I REALLY appreciate it!!!!! Thanks!

The process I used is explain in this post:
http://www.instantcertonline.com/forums/...#post28442
jonoshamrock Wrote:Zefrench- Are you saying you never actually sat a proctored exam. Yo just completed the necessary online tasks and had the form signed and evaluated? Then transferred to your Excelsior transcript?

Please tell me i can do this for pre-calculusBig Grin ??

Anyone else trying this neat route?

That is correct, no proctored exam, but rather a repetitive process that insure you know every concept. This is not an exam to study for, but rather a process by which to learn and confirm learning every concept. It involves many many hours.

As far as pre calculus, Aleks does have an ACE evaluated course, PreCalculus (ALEK-0005). Please get approval from your advisor first though.
ali4nia Wrote:no one yet could have a math credit Upper or Lower on his degree's transcript from aleks ...

Quick thing, this statement is inaccurate, I have 3 credits in Math that counted as 3 of my 12 Math/Natural Science Credit requirement (thus leaving me with 9 to complete).
As a further update, I am now 44 hours into ALEKS: Introduction to Statistics, with 99 out of 116 topics mastered. This is yet another example of why ALEKS is not for everyone, and might not be the best use of time. It works great for me, as I want to learn the topic and really know them.
if you get used to learn math with the aleks method, how are you going to do with other math or subjects not covered by ALEKS ? big trouble !! Cool[/QUOTE]

>>
We have hundreds of these dusty bound pages that we put on wall shelves. They are in hard board binders in various sizes. They are classified by subject. It takes a while for us find what we need without a search feature, and they take up so much space but they are fun to open when you don't have an internet connection. I googled it....they call them "books." hilarious
[QUOTE=...they call them "books." hilarious[/QUOTE]

Too funny.

I'm using the Aleks now for Algebra. I think it's a good resource. Maybe a little time consuming but I need the extra help on this test. I checked out Statistics, looks a little long-winded but I think your right. If you go through all those steps the exam should be a breeze.
Joe

Excelsior BSB Aug 21, 2009

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  guided vs online tesu capstone shendaddy 18 6,110 09-19-2018, 06:07 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,861 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Does TESU put the free Ethics class from the Institutes as a grade or just as credit? Jenna.C 19 5,472 09-14-2018, 12:27 AM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Courses/Exams at a Cheaper Price and TESU Admissions Question UnbreakablyDetermined 12 4,452 09-09-2018, 08:41 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Are there any Shmoop courses that Charter Oak will accept as upper level? nosey561 2 2,091 08-30-2018, 05:55 PM
Last Post: nosey561
Question Does anyone have a copy of a TESU Credit Bank transcript they'd be will to post? Kelly Green 2 2,074 08-30-2018, 04:46 PM
Last Post: Kelly Green
  Study.com College Credits UnbreakablyDetermined 2 1,838 08-27-2018, 05:44 PM
Last Post: allvia
  TESU BALS 2018 - All Online seaweedhead 5 2,909 08-23-2018, 06:18 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  TESU September Graduation: Adding extra courses to transcript by latest 08/31/2018? Nightmoves5 7 2,082 08-19-2018, 01:03 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Unofficial DegreeForum Wiki - Credit by Exam info, Degree Plans, etc dcan 43 26,964 08-17-2018, 11:29 AM
Last Post: elenlushk