Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Credit for Industry Certs
siersema Wrote:I guess all I can say is that I disagree, our experiences certainly aren't equal with regards to research. I worked at a Regionally Accredited college (North Central, ACBSP, NLNAC, ect..) and didn't find what you seem to have found. Our IS programs were under the ACBSP since they're part of the Business department.

I am curious, and even a bit confused. With your opinion with regards to distance learning vs. traditional learning why you would choose to pursue CLEP exams? They certainly fall outside the realm of traditional learning.

Interesting, IS may be different, I do not know. I would expect the professors who teach IS to have a doctorate in math or CS. But who knows? It would be interesting to here what you experienced in your IS program.

As for the CLEPS, I have a half year of bullshit classes I have to knock out. The classes I am CLEPPING, are mostly classes I took in highschool, so I have already had experience with them. But CLEPS are different then online learning, as CLEPS are for students who already have a profound knowledge in a subject because of passed experiences. You obviously can't get a degree with just CLEPS, that would be ridiculous (why even have a degree for knowledge you already knew?).

The real reason I resorted to CLEPS is because my summer classes were canceled, so I had no other choice but to try and CLEP some of the bullshit classes.
siersema Wrote:Hi AKay,

Which Indiana State program are you looking at? Just dreaming into the future I like their PhD in Technology Management. I worked at a local college and there were some instructors considering it at the time. I first looked at them because we had an artriculation program with them.

I was looking at the masters in electronics and technology.
the doctorate looks good but it looks longgggg too lol.
AKay
spazz Wrote:Interesting, IS may be different, I do not know. I would expect the professors who teach IS to have a doctorate in math or CS. But who knows? It would be interesting to here what you experienced in your IS program.

IS, IT, CIS, and MIS are quite often in the business department of a college, while CS would usually be in a technology or engineering department. This would explain the lack of ABET IS programs for most schools (though many would have ACBSP for their CIS/MIS majors). The courses you saw in the Aspen program wouldn't be unusual for these types of programs. CIS/IS usually has a bit more programming, MIS a bit more business, and IT seems to be more the generalist degree (the MBA of Computing if you want to look at it that way, and looking at it that way would certainly fit your comments earlier of the Aspen courses looking more like undergraduate, you often see that type of comment with regards to an MBA program as well.. but I digress)

My experience wasn't that the instructors had doctorates in math or CS, but in other business or technology areas. The college I worked at is a 2 year college so many only had MS degrees. When I left the head of the CIS Faculty was pursuing a doctorate in technology from Capella, and the head of the CIS staff had an MBA, my boss (the head of our Workforce Certification department) also was an MBA holder. Honestly if the instructor liked Math enough to get a doctorate in it they'd be board out of their minds with IS/IT type courses. With the exception of perhaps one or two courses that hit on some math concepts in relation to programming these types of degrees don't generally have heavy math requirements. If your school has both a CS and IS/CIS degree take a look at the required math you'll probably see it's lower for IS.

My experiences were good, but they were good because I'm not looking for the type of job, or knowledge, where I learn to much programming, or where I learn down to the detail how my motherboard works. I like to learn about the technology that exists and how it fits into current business, the management of technology and technical people, and the concepts of utilizing technolgy in new ways for business or other reasons.

spazz Wrote:But CLEPS are different then online learning, as CLEPS are for students who already have a profound knowledge in a subject because of passed experiences. You obviously can't get a degree with just CLEPS, that would be ridiculous (why even have a degree for knowledge you already knew?).

.. This may come as a shock Smile

This is less true than it once was perhaps, but you could actually do this (not just CLEP but CLEP, DANTES, ECE, and so on). Why would you want to do this? Well the same reasons you used CLEP to begin with, to prove you already had the knowledge (or could obtain it faster on your own through self-study than through a traditional course), and to have a degree for whatever reason you wanted one. To move on to a graduate degree, for a job, personal satisfaction, who knows. I prefer and am taking a mixed approach of traditional courses, online courses, and exams.

The best example of how to do this can be found here http://www.bain4weeks.com

Try not to let the domain throw you, it's more a guide to a concept than a guide to actually getting a degree in 4 weeks. If you can actually test out of 120 credits worth of exams in 4 weeks though, more power to you.
BLS CIS & Psychology Excelsior, MS IT & MS IM Aspen University, Pursuing MBA Columbia Southern.
AKay Wrote:I was looking at the masters in electronics and technology.
the doctorate looks good but it looks longgggg too lol.
AKay

Ah.. to much electronics for me. I want something that will apply to a job I can actually imagine holding. I'm more the IT/Management type I wish they had their Technology Management PhD in a MS form as well. To long? Yeah I spose but I figure a PhD should be to long Smile
BLS CIS & Psychology Excelsior, MS IT & MS IM Aspen University, Pursuing MBA Columbia Southern.
western governors MBA looks pretty good too.
My first choice is Penn States online MBA but its about 25k a year(2yrs)
AKay
AKay Wrote:western governors MBA looks pretty good too.
My first choice is Penn States online MBA but its about 25k a year(2yrs)
AKay

WGU has the most confusing programs I've ever read about. I can't say they're good or they're bad, because I just don't get it! Smile They're competency based, not course based. If you actually understand the program and join, please share with us how it goes.

Save the 18k from UoP and put it towards the Penn State, or find another MBA program Wink There's a lot of good MBA programs, online, and off.
oh definately im not going to go to UoP for my MBA lol.
They dont even require a GMAT.
It looks like Penn State, Western Governors, and im still doing some more research i just found out SUNY does thier MBA online too so that may be an option!
AKay
AKay Wrote:oh definately im not going to go to UoP for my MBA lol.
They dont even require a GMAT.
It looks like Penn State, Western Governors, and im still doing some more research i just found out SUNY does thier MBA online too so that may be an option!
AKay

So does Indiana Wink.. bastards charge way more for the graduate programs via Keller than the ones directly through other IU schools though.
siersema Wrote:IS, IT, CIS, and MIS are quite often in the business department of a college, while CS would usually be in a technology or engineering department. This would explain the lack of ABET IS programs for most schools (though many would have ACBSP for their CIS/MIS majors). The courses you saw in the Aspen program wouldn't be unusual for these types of programs. CIS/IS usually has a bit more programming, MIS a bit more business, and IT seems to be more the generalist degree (the MBA of Computing if you want to look at it that way, and looking at it that way would certainly fit your comments earlier of the Aspen courses looking more like undergraduate, you often see that type of comment with regards to an MBA program as well.. but I digress)

My experience wasn't that the instructors had doctorates in math or CS, but in other business or technology areas. The college I worked at is a 2 year college so many only had MS degrees. When I left the head of the CIS Faculty was pursuing a doctorate in technology from Capella, and the head of the CIS staff had an MBA, my boss (the head of our Workforce Certification department) also was an MBA holder. Honestly if the instructor liked Math enough to get a doctorate in it they'd be board out of their minds with IS/IT type courses. With the exception of perhaps one or two courses that hit on some math concepts in relation to programming these types of degrees don't generally have heavy math requirements. If your school has both a CS and IS/CIS degree take a look at the required math you'll probably see it's lower for IS.

My experiences were good, but they were good because I'm not looking for the type of job, or knowledge, where I learn to much programming, or where I learn down to the detail how my motherboard works. I like to learn about the technology that exists and how it fits into current business, the management of technology and technical people, and the concepts of utilizing technolgy in new ways for business or other reasons.

.. This may come as a shock Smile

This is less true than it once was perhaps, but you could actually do this (not just CLEP but CLEP, DANTES, ECE, and so on). Why would you want to do this? Well the same reasons you used CLEP to begin with, to prove you already had the knowledge (or could obtain it faster on your own through self-study than through a traditional course), and to have a degree for whatever reason you wanted one. To move on to a graduate degree, for a job, personal satisfaction, who knows. I prefer and am taking a mixed approach of traditional courses, online courses, and exams.

The best example of how to do this can be found here http://www.bain4weeks.com

Try not to let the domain throw you, it's more a guide to a concept than a guide to actually getting a degree in 4 weeks. If you can actually test out of 120 credits worth of exams in 4 weeks though, more power to you.

Yeah but most CLEP exams are too superficial for any degree. The only degree you could get with CLEP would be a liberal arts degree, it seems. For instance, if I wanted to pursue CS or even IT, IS etc. It would be impossible to clep 3 years of core courses (just because they do not offer the exams). The only courses I would be able to clep would be the bullshit classes. Yes?
spazz Wrote:Yeah but most CLEP exams are too superficial for any degree. The only degree you could get with CLEP would be a liberal arts degree, it seems. For instance, if I wanted to pursue CS or even IT, IS etc. It would be impossible to clep 3 years of core courses (just because they do not offer the exams). The only courses I would be able to clep would be the bullshit classes. Yes?

Well.. sorta. If you're just say CLEP by itself then yes. If you include DANTES, Excelsior, perhaps even those IT Certs we named this thread after then you could probably do all of a Psychology degree and all of a CIS degree. Throw in the GRE and you could probably 'test' out of another degree.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What Is College Worth in The Media Industry? Kal Di 6 1,096 02-28-2022, 06:48 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Ruin a College or Alt-Credit Provider Name… Jonathan Whatley 9 2,152 05-23-2020, 04:37 PM
Last Post: jamshid666
  American Opportunity Tax Credit sirjake 13 4,622 05-02-2020, 12:59 AM
Last Post: BrianFallon
  Free Nikon Photography classes -non credit cwendy111 0 665 04-10-2020, 02:15 AM
Last Post: cwendy111
  Unable to locate a past syllabi’s course for credit boymom1031 8 2,688 11-27-2019, 01:54 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Sallie Mae Credit Cards Poor Decision armstrongsubero 34 4,077 07-08-2019, 02:05 PM
Last Post: videogamesrock
  Cisco certs dewisant 2 1,111 05-05-2019, 04:09 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Free credit Temarsha 5 1,917 02-17-2019, 12:52 AM
Last Post: jsd
  Dual Credit at Home: How to Pray for Your Children Printable eriehiker 21 3,746 01-17-2019, 09:05 PM
Last Post: AaressLawless
  Michigan Alumni: Free MI Coursera/EdX Certs. eriehiker 0 1,001 10-06-2018, 07:33 AM
Last Post: eriehiker