Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Critique of Coursera and edX
I think it's great that Coursera and edX are finally making strides to help people earn real college credits for less than the average cost of a graduate course, but I wish they would focus more on baccalaureate programs. From my observations, that's where there is the most need. Graduate degrees are elective and a luxury for most people whereas bachelor's degrees are becoming a necessity for good-paying jobs. The barrier to college starts with people without degrees who don't make enough to pay for tuition without going into a lot of debt. Most people going for master's degrees are working professionals who have greater means. 

What's more disappointing is that more people are going to know about Coursera and edX than SL, SDC, Saylor, etc. I would even bet that there are more people who know about MOOCs than there are those who know about CLEP and DSST.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 2 users Like sanantone's post:
  • jsd, Life Long Learning
Those are all good points. I do recall that Coursera does have one single bachelor's.

I think with edx, they're taking a top down approach. I know they've already started working on "micro bachelor's" https://www.edsurge.com/news/2018-01-25-...rs-program
So maybe they plan on launching full online bachelor's as well...
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
Does that still work even though coursera isnt ace reviewed anymore?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
In Progress: CSU MS Occupational Safety | TESU BALS HR & Computer Science | TESU AAS Admin Studies
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, HRM

Completed: TESU AAS Environmental, Safety & Tech, BA in Environmental Studies/ Natural Science and Mathematics

Doesn't need to be ACE if they've partnered with an accredited school:

https://www.coursera.org/degrees/
Up next:  WGU MSCSIA - Early 2023
Dropped:  WGU MSITM - Wasn't my cup of tea
Completed:  WGU BSCSIA (started 10/1/2018, finished 01/11/2019), Pierpont BOG AAS (5/2018)
Journey Thread (MSITM): https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...TM-Journey
Journey Thread (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ersecurity
Degree Spreadsheet (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/attachm...p?aid=2602

(10-15-2018, 10:50 AM)ROYISAGIRL Wrote: Does that still work even though coursera isnt ace reviewed anymore?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

The full degrees on edx and Coursera are from the actual accredited colleges. Coursera/edx just host all the courses with their learning management system.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
I read a Washington State CC study that said 70% of first responders only have AS degrees.  The Emergency Management and Homeland Security colleges seem to mostly want to teach MS-level degrees.  I see the huge disconnect in these professions.  

Where are the Competency degree programs in these areas?  Nowhere! Angry
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

Competency based programs focus on fields with high demand, which is why you see the same limited degrees offered at all the CBE institutions. It wouldn't be sustainable for them to target niche programs.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
(10-15-2018, 09:24 AM)sanantone Wrote: I think it's great that Coursera and edX are finally making strides to help people earn real college credits for less than the average cost of a graduate course, but I wish they would focus more on baccalaureate programs. From my observations, that's where there is the most need. Graduate degrees are elective and a luxury for most people whereas bachelor's degrees are becoming a necessity for good-paying jobs. The barrier to college starts with people without degrees who don't make enough to pay for tuition without going into a lot of debt. Most people going for master's degrees are working professionals who have greater means. 

What's more disappointing is that more people are going to know about Coursera and edX than SL, SDC, Saylor, etc. I would even bet that there are more people who know about MOOCs than there are those who know about CLEP and DSST.
I overall agree with you. I think this is just the beginning of a shift in what education should and can be. Straighterline and edutech CEOs like Burck Smith of SL have been evangelizing that online courses are outrageously priced as the infrastructure to support an online class is very low and paying premium per credit cost or more than on campus fees is there to really prop up football stadiums and administrators that get paid six figures that do not provide any really tangible benefits.

This forum in a lot of ways is cutting edge and savvy as we know about the alternatives. The out of control cost of education has finally hit a tipping point as the ROI is getting questionable for many families and individuals. There is a really interesting article that states that in the next 10 years half of colleges maybe closed especially if they do not provide both affordability and ROI: https://www.cnbc.com/2017/11/15/hbs-prof...years.html

Overall though I see Coursera and EdX at least help in setting up an alternative to the racket that higher ed has had for too long. The cracks in higher ed are showing and I believe affordable online education will start come back down to reasonable prices. I really hope so at least. 

To your point about MOOCs, my biggest frustration is that they are not granting true college credit for these courses. I feel it is a rub in a way that poor kid can work hard on these courses and master the subject only to get a "good job kid" certification that has no real tangible value. I wish, to your point, these MOOC providers finally make these courses credit worthy some how. I see no reason why a legit college degree (through MOOCs) at this point, cannot be akin to what U of the People is trying to accomplish or at least make the cost an 1/8th the cost. Overall though, I see positive changes coming. The Georgia Tech masters for $10,000 show that quality, excellent reputation and affordability can be achieved for low cost. If Georgia Tech can create a great masters for $10,00, the crappy state school had better find a way as well or they will perish per the article. Interesting times indeed.
[-] The following 1 user Likes cardiacclep's post:
  • MNomadic
(10-15-2018, 06:08 PM)Life Long Learning Wrote: I read a Washington State CC study that said 70% of first responders only have AS degrees.  The Emergency Management and Homeland Security colleges seem to mostly want to teach MS-level degrees.  I see the huge disconnect in these professions.  

Where are the Competency degree programs in these areas?  Nowhere! Angry

maybe they're trying to attract potential FEMA and homeland security managers
(10-15-2018, 06:21 PM)jsd Wrote: Competency based programs focus on fields with high demand, which is why you see the same limited degrees offered at all the CBE institutions. It wouldn't be sustainable for them to target niche programs.

A Competency-based degree in public safety could easily be sustainable.

Police officers 807,000, Firefighters 1,134,400; Dispatchers 98,600; EMT 248,000; DOD 2,860,000; and 22,000,000 Veterans.

A huge market here.  These folks also skilled at their job now and would need a higher quality non-propaganda instructor.  
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Prompt Engineering Course by Vanderbilt University on Coursera LevelUP 2 352 03-23-2024, 05:28 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  New Georgetown Coursera Bachelors smartdegree 73 9,715 03-18-2024, 11:54 AM
Last Post: SilentWarrior
  Coursera Certs Offline natshar 4 382 03-10-2024, 12:03 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Coursera & Edx - Peer Reviewed Assignments bjcheung77 7 1,083 01-09-2024, 12:01 PM
Last Post: gulshan212
  Coursera Plus for $1/month... Expires Sept 21, 2023 bjcheung77 7 1,263 11-22-2023, 10:50 PM
Last Post: Avidreader
Information Coursera Bachelor of Science in Computer Science for $4k! nomaduser 19 4,081 09-16-2023, 06:32 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Coursera, Udemy & LinkedIn Learning ss20ts 6 2,134 06-12-2023, 11:51 PM
Last Post: Vle045
  New course from Coursera Imbanewbie 3 896 05-13-2023, 03:34 PM
Last Post: HVzR5
  Google IT support from Coursera qualify ACE credit Imbanewbie 74 19,255 01-30-2023, 10:18 AM
Last Post: Tammy Sellers
  Coursera - BS in Computer Science from top US university for only $10k ! nomaduser 43 6,830 01-25-2023, 12:35 AM
Last Post: MrPanda