Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do you read everything that is assigned to you?
The text for my Business Law class was awful. It was a textbook but they tried to make it look and read like a law book.

If I have a heavy course load, I would skip the filler material (case studies, side notes, etc). Once you get rid of that, the end of chapter questions, etc, a 400 page book is about 250.
Andy

---------------------------------

TESC - BSBA: CIS

Current Degree Plan
Complete:  TECEP Eng Comp I, Marriage and Family, Strategic Management, Networking, Computer Concepts, Liberal Math, Tech Writing, Managerial Accounting DSST MIS, Cybersecurity Study.com Macroeconomics
Remaining:  Waiting for credits to process

ajs1976 Wrote:The text for my Business Law class was awful. It was a textbook but they tried to make it look and read like a law book.

If I have a heavy course load, I would skip the filler material (case studies, side notes, etc). Once you get rid of that, the end of chapter questions, etc, a 400 page book is about 250.

I would have loved that. I love law books but it's because that's my passion! lol

With only 15-30 days between semesters, I still don't see me fitting in 1000 pages but I do try to review material and get to know my textbooks before classes start.
Don't miss out on something great just because it might also be difficult.

Road traveled: AA (2013) > BS (2014) > MS (2016) > Doctorate (2024)

If God hadn't been there for me, I never would have made it. Psalm 94:16-19
I like to read everything assigned because I'm in it to learn, not just get credit. That being said, I'm feeling burned out at the end of this semester and have been doing enough to get by in one of my classes but I'm not reading everything. I plan to go back when I have more energy but for now I'm doing just enough to keep my grades up.
Goal: BA in American Studies - COSC (103/120)
In Progress: -
Completed - Straighterline: US History 2
CLEP - American Literature

Associate of Arts - COSC (August 31st, 2014)
Classes used to complete it:
Liberty University Classes: English 101, English 102, Macroeconomics, Microeconomics, Introduction to Probability & Statistics
Advanced Placement: Art History
Straighterline Classes: Introduction to Sociology, Introduction to Biology (w/ Lab), Personal Finance, Business Ethics, Introduction to Religion, American Government, Cultural Anthropology, Introduction to Nutrition, Introduction to Communications, U.S. History 1
CLEP: Analyzing & Interpreting Literature
COSC: Cornerstone
Devanna Wrote:I like to read everything assigned because I'm in it to learn, not just get credit. That being said, I'm feeling burned out at the end of this semester and have been doing enough to get by in one of my classes but I'm not reading everything. I plan to go back when I have more energy but for now I'm doing just enough to keep my grades up.

That's where I am. I'm burnt out. I can't wait for this next couple of weeks to be over!
Don't miss out on something great just because it might also be difficult.

Road traveled: AA (2013) > BS (2014) > MS (2016) > Doctorate (2024)

If God hadn't been there for me, I never would have made it. Psalm 94:16-19
soliloquy Wrote:What is your reading style? Do you skim, read every tittle, pick and choose based upon assignment questions, etc.

My reading style for school is:
  1. Begin reading every single word on every single page.
  2. Notice that this is taking too long and begin skipping digressions to get to more pertinent material.
  3. Realize I've sucked at managing my time for reading yet again because the test is next week and proceed to madly flip from page to page, chapter to chapter looking for everything mentioned in the test review.
  4. Pass the course and tell myself I won't do that again in the next class.
  5. Do it again in the next class.

Also I had to learn which subjects require "actually" reading the text versus merely "using" the text. Example: my entire math major. It took me years to stop reading my math texts like I would read a history text (for instance). A lot of subjects you just read, remember, and think about the information but you actually have to do math to get good at it.
soliloquy Wrote:That's where I am. I'm burnt out. I can't wait for this next couple of weeks to be over!

Same here!
Goal: BA in American Studies - COSC (103/120)
In Progress: -
Completed - Straighterline: US History 2
CLEP - American Literature

Associate of Arts - COSC (August 31st, 2014)
Classes used to complete it:
Liberty University Classes: English 101, English 102, Macroeconomics, Microeconomics, Introduction to Probability & Statistics
Advanced Placement: Art History
Straighterline Classes: Introduction to Sociology, Introduction to Biology (w/ Lab), Personal Finance, Business Ethics, Introduction to Religion, American Government, Cultural Anthropology, Introduction to Nutrition, Introduction to Communications, U.S. History 1
CLEP: Analyzing & Interpreting Literature
COSC: Cornerstone

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  You've been reading wrong all your life. How to read 1000 pages a day. LevelUP 2 226 04-17-2024, 08:24 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  Perlego: Startup for "all you can read" textbooks bjcheung77 7 1,090 09-08-2023, 04:03 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Do you read the syllabus? bjcheung77 9 1,258 01-27-2022, 12:50 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  One of the Worst Education Articles I've Read sanantone 19 2,677 04-08-2019, 02:34 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Do you really read the whole textbook from A-Z? charismo 31 2,954 07-25-2015, 06:10 PM
Last Post: Westerner
  How Many Adjuncts Read the Textbook for Courses They Teach UptonSinclair 2 895 10-22-2014, 08:18 AM
Last Post: clep3705
  The future of online education~~great info-please read martialartist 12 1,545 08-20-2013, 07:41 AM
  College course to read EKG, pharmacology knowledge, and interpret lab tests for Jabberwocky 4 858 06-16-2013, 11:59 PM
  Test Specific Forums: How far back do you read? KJArsenal 9 1,040 07-09-2012, 10:41 AM
Last Post: Publius
  Need Help!!!!! Please read!!! bldclot2 7 920 06-22-2012, 12:14 AM
Last Post: Tedium