Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does this look like a solid degree plan?
Thank you for all of your input, everyone. And thank you especially dfrecore for your review. I've taken all of your feedback and re-worked my degree plan as follows:

—General Education—

*Written Communication* 6
College Composition (6 cr) - C L E P

*Oral Communication* 3
Public Speaking - Sophia.org 

*Information Literacy* 3
[RA] (COSC) Information Literary - LL

*Ethical Decision-Making* 3
Intro to Ethics - Sophia.org 

*US History/ Government* 6
[RA] United States History I - TEL Learning

*Non-US History or Culture* 3
[RA] World Civilizations I - TEL Learning

*Global Understanding* 3
Religion 101: Intro to World Religions - Study.com

*Literature and Fine Arts* 3
Analyzing and Interpreting Literature - C L E P

*Social/ Behavioral Sciences* 3
Introductory Sociology - C L E P

*Mathematics* 6
College Mathematics (6 cr) - C L E P

*Natural Sciences* 8
[RA] Intro to Biology (w/ lab) - TEL Learning *4 cr
[RA] Physical Sciences (w/ lab) - TEL Learning *4 cr

*Prerequisites* 9 
Economics 102: Macroeconomics - Study.com
Economics 101: Principles of Microeconomics - Study.com
?? ?? [RA] Business Statistics ?? ?? <- I still have no clue what I'll do for this mandatory class. I've looked at local community colleges but haven't come across this one. Hopefully I can find something eventually.

*LL Liberal Arts Electives* 18
[RA] Introduction to Christianity - TEL Learning
[RA] Old Testament - TEL Learning
[RA] American Government - TEL Learning
Spanish I (6 cr) - C L E P
Introductory Psychology - C L E P

*UL LibArts Electives* 9
[UL] Psychology 301: Industrial/ Organization Psychology - Study.com
[UL] Sociology 305: Sociology of Work - Study.com
[UL] History 308: Causes and Effects of the Vietnam War - Study.com

—Business Administration Major Requirements— 

*Business Core* 27
Accounting 101: Financial Accounting (poor rating) - Study.com
Accounting 102: Intro to Managerial Accounting - Study.com
Business 103: Introductory Business Law - Study.com
Business 101: Principles of Management - Study.com
Business 303: Management Info Systems - Study.com
Principles of Marketing - C L E P
Finance 104: Financial Management - Study.com
[UL] Business 307: Leadership & Organizational Behavior - Study.com - UL
[RA] [UL] (COSC) Strategic Management Capstone - UL

*UL Area of Study: General Business* 9
[UL] Business 306: Strategic Human Resources Management  - Study.com
[UL] Business 311: Project Management - Study.com
[UL] Business 323: Organizational Theory - Study.com

*UL Business Electives* 9
[UL] Marketing 308: Applied Marketing - Study.com
[UL] Marketing 302: Consumer Behavior - Study.com
[UL] Business 306: Principles of Selling - Study.com

What do you think?
Analyzing and Interpreting Literature - CLEP
- is that only 3 credits? At TESU it's 6 credits.

Macroeconomics
Microeconomics
Management
- do CLEPs instead, they're real easy, just did it over the weekend.

Accounting 101
- you can do CLEP, but it was a harder course for me.

Also it might be a good idea to just wait till the kid is out of HS for some of these exam topics are covered nicely in the last 2 years. Then they can zip thru the exams over summer post-HS. Also, to try and accellerate, try doing AP courses in HS and those will all contribute to credit. I got 18 credits thru AP alone in the last 2 years of HS. Plus I got to admit, adding on anything beyond the basic HS requirement + 3/4 APs a year would have been too much for me (I say this as someone who got a 98th percentile SAT and 4.0 GPA). Not saying your kid can't do it, just for me it would have been way too much.
[-] The following 1 user Likes thecontrarian's post:
  • iothom
(09-16-2021, 07:55 AM)thecontrarian Wrote: Analyzing and Interpreting Literature - CLEP
- is that only 3 credits? At TESU it's 6 credits.

Macroeconomics
Microeconomics
Management
- do CLEPs instead, they're real easy, just did it over the weekend.

Accounting 101
- you can do CLEP, but it was a harder course for me.

Also it might be a good idea to just wait till the kid is out of HS for some of these exam topics are covered nicely in the last 2 years. Then they can zip thru the exams over summer post-HS. Also, to try and accellerate, try doing AP courses in HS and those will all contribute to credit. I got 18 credits thru AP alone in the last 2 years of HS. Plus I got to admit, adding on anything beyond the basic HS requirement + 3/4 APs a year would have been too much for me (I say this as someone who got a 98th percentile SAT and 4.0 GPA). Not saying your kid can't do it, just for me it would have been way too much.

Thanks for your insight!

On the CLEP site, it says 3 semester hours. I was just going by that. Awesome that you can get 6 at TESU, but you have to be 18 to apply to TESU and I wanted to do this before she turned 18. 

Thanks for sharing your experience, too. I'll definitely consider it.
Just a couple of FYI's:
1) the Business Electives do not need to be UL, I would check with COSC to see how many UL Liberal Arts courses are required
2) courses can meet more than 1 requirement in the GE, so for instance the Human/Cultural Geography DSST meets the Behavioral/Social Science, Global Understanding, and Non-US History/Culture requirements (I'm going to assume this applies to the GEO 101: Human & Cultural Geography course at Study.com). So that frees up space to take other courses if you want.
3) it's recommended here that if you're going to take Intro to Ethics at Sophia, that you first take Ancient Greek Philosophers - it makes the Ethics course much easier
4) you don't have to take 2 lab sciences, only 1 (a popular combo is to take Study.com's Intro to Biology w/Lab, it's only $50 extra for the virtual lab; and then Sophia's Environmental Science)
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • iothom
(09-16-2021, 12:21 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Just a couple of FYI's:
1) the Business Electives do not need to be UL, I would check with COSC to see how many UL Liberal Arts courses are required
2) courses can meet more than 1 requirement in the GE, so for instance the Human/Cultural Geography DSST meets the Behavioral/Social Science, Global Understanding, and Non-US History/Culture requirements (I'm going to assume this applies to the GEO 101: Human & Cultural Geography course at Study.com).  So that frees up space to take other courses if you want.
3) it's recommended here that if you're going to take Intro to Ethics at Sophia, that you first take Ancient Greek Philosophers - it makes the Ethics course much easier
4) you don't have to take 2 lab sciences, only 1 (a popular combo is to take Study.com's Intro to Biology w/Lab, it's only $50 extra for the virtual lab; and then Sophia's Environmental Science)

Thank you for your help!

On tip 2, if I do that, how many credits would I get? Only 3? I'd still need 6 other credits to add up to 120 credits for the BS, right?
That's a pretty good plan, I would take more CLEP/MS and Sophia.org over some Study.com lower level courses for cost alone, in fact, I would take some StraighterLine courses too (2 of them come in as UL even though the transfer guide shows lower level in the note - Business Ethics/Organizational Behavior), since they have the Business Stats course you're looking for. I would take at most 2-3 courses at StraighterLine to max the credits/cost of membership (don't forget about coupons and the open book exam policies). Stick with Study.com for upper level as CLEP/MS, Sophia, do not offer upper level courses that come into COSC.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 2 users Like bjcheung77's post:
  • acethroughcollege, iothom
Not all exams at SL are open book. Check https://www.straighterline.com/how-it-wo...g-details/ to see which final exams are open book and which ones are not.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • iothom
(09-16-2021, 12:32 PM)iothom Wrote:
(09-16-2021, 12:21 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Just a couple of FYI's:
2) courses can meet more than 1 requirement in the GE, so for instance the Human/Cultural Geography DSST meets the Behavioral/Social Science, Global Understanding, and Non-US History/Culture requirements (I'm going to assume this applies to the GEO 101: Human & Cultural Geography course at Study.com).  So that frees up space to take other courses if you want.

Thank you for your help!

On tip 2, if I do that, how many credits would I get? Only 3? I'd still need 6 other credits to add up to 120 credits for the BS, right?

Think of the requirements as checkboxes, rather than credits needed.  You take English Comp w/Essay CLEP, you check off the Written English requirement.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • iothom
(09-15-2021, 01:49 PM)iothom Wrote: Any ideas on where to find a Business Statistics course since ALEKS isn't an option?
They accept SL’s Business Statistics course.
[-] The following 1 user Likes degree4nana's post:
  • iothom
Circling back around to this post (thank you everyone for your help, by the way)...

Is a foreign language required for a BA degree at COSC?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Need some advice on my plan jobojoe285 0 20 1 hour ago
Last Post: jobojoe285
  Educational Degree Planning Help nhmimi 7 153 4 hours ago
Last Post: rachel83az
  Degree planning help - UMPI BBA vs PUG BSBA crowbird 35 665 4 hours ago
Last Post: rachel83az
  Path/degree recommendation for a 40 yr old man with no degree Freyo27 1 64 6 hours ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Degree Planning- MS degree dodek101 8 345 10 hours ago
Last Post: Captainrekt000
  Potential Degree Input, Please curious 4 153 Yesterday, 06:39 AM
Last Post: curious
  DBA degree: online, 2-3 years, top US or UK school, accredited absamer 22 1,484 03-26-2024, 11:54 PM
  Degree Planning Advice - 31, Norway, No Higher Education ASenna 28 1,859 03-26-2024, 06:00 AM
  Masters Degree in Texas Melhux 3 182 03-26-2024, 05:45 AM
  BACS BSCIS plan guidance LAMi 23 357 03-25-2024, 09:11 PM