Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Earning a Commission with TESC
clep101 Wrote:And there are no degrees out there that have a major in Infantry or Field Artillery tactics.

A clear case of discrimination if I ever saw one. Big Grin I was horrible at math during high school. Joined the Corps and they stick me in an MOS that requires a firm grasp of trig. /sigh

I did have a FDO who had a degree in Physics with a minor in French art. Used to keep me awake on night moves by discussing black hole formations and string theory. He's now a staff scientist with SAIC, but is still a reserve artillery officer. Takes all kinds :patriot:
[SIZE="2"]
-Justin
PMP, CISSP, A+, Sec+, MCDST, ITIL
Total Credits Earned: 162

www.Free-Clep-Prep.com - (with Forum Admin's permission)

[/SIZE]
at2nfo Wrote:Thanks for the advice again, I'll do some asking around and see what I can come up with. I'm sure I could find other communities if NFO selection does weigh more on engineering degrees. I just have no desire for getting an Engineering degree. I'd prefer to finish my degree in technical studies and pursue a Masters in Project Management. By the time I retire I don't want to be an Engineer, I'd rather be heading projects.

That's not how it works, not always at least. Friend of mine did an engineering degree, then got a pilot slot, moved into management in the service (Naval Postgrad School MS IT Management), retired and is in management. Never was an engineer.

The engineering degree seems to be more of a weed-out tool to see if you're smart and a dedicated hard worker, as doing well in EE, ME, ChemE tends to require.

But then again, I know non-engineers (e.g., a finance major) who got NFO, as you stated. But that was a number of years ago, maybe more selective now.
Pursuing TESC B.A. in Natural Sciences/Mathematics

65 credits in 3 weeks from A&I Lit 79; College Comp w/ Essay 63; College Math 75; College Algebra 76; Precalculus 63; Intro Psychology 78; Intro Sociology 62; Intro Computing 473; Personal Finance 451; Health 467; Management Info Sys 466; MCITP Enterprise Admin; MCITP Server Admin; MCITP Virtualization Admin; MCITP Enterprise Messaging Admin; MCITP SQL Server DBA

Remaining:
CLEP Human Growth & Development
TESC Global Environmental Change
TESC Artificial Intelligence
jmed, you would agree that an engineering degree truly wouldn't hold as much weight in officer selection? Other than how you refered to it as a tool that essentially gauges dedication?
I always thought the reason they preferred engineering degrees was to make sure you were adept at physics, math, etc which all come in to play when dealing with fighter jets, motion, G forces, and so on. And also to make sure you aren't exactly a meathead too Smile
MA2 Wrote:I always thought the reason they preferred engineering degrees was to make sure you were adept at physics, math, etc which all come in to play when dealing with fighter jets, motion, G forces, and so on. And also to make sure you aren't exactly a meathead too Smile

It's been since 2003 that I've dealt with G-forces. That was the last time someone threw my butt out of a perfectly good airplane while in flight. Probably the wrong kind of G-forces than the ones you're talking about :roflol:
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"]Excelsior College - DONE[/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]AAS-[SIZE="1"]2009[/SIZE], BSLS-[SIZE="1"]2010[/SIZE] [/SIZE]

[COLOR="DarkRed"][B][SIZE="2"]Thomas Edison State College - DONE[/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]BA in History[/SIZE]-[SIZE="1"]2011[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[SIZE="2"]Texas A&M University Central Texas[/SIZE]
Master of Arts in History - 18/36 SH

CLEPs Passed
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"]Spanish, Freshman Comp, English Comp w/ Essay, Social Science & Hist, Info Sys & Comp App, Intro Sociology, Prin of Mngmt, American Gov , US History I, US History II, Western Civ I, Western Civ II[/SIZE][/SIZE]
DSSTs Passed
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"]Civil War & Reconstruction, Rise & Fall of Soviet Union, History of Vietnam War, Intro Modern Middle East, Western Europe Since 1945, Drug and Alcohol, Here's to Your Hlth, Intro To Comp, Prin of Sup, Technical Writing, Prin of Physical Science I[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Quote: There are no stupid questions, only stupid people. "Mr. Garrison"[/SIZE]
I don't know about this whole focus on technical degrees. I know plenty of officers with political science, english, psychology, even one that had some kind of yachting degree.

No one with an engineering degree in the Military does any form of engineering. Believe me I am currently serving with the Navy SeaBees. These Engineering Officers don't engineer a damn thing. Even when new facilities are contracted out to civilians the civvies will draw up the plans ("engineer the building") and the SeaBee officers just look them over and say "LK this looks nice, how much? 1 Million? Ridiculous we will give you 5 and don't you dare complete this on time!"

The last bit was sarcasm but you get what I'm saying. I was in Afghanistan with these guys and it was the same thing. Even in a contingency environment the enlisted troops know how to make SWA huts etc. and any other buildings are made from pre-existing plans that have been around for ages. Zero engineering. I spoke to an Air Force Civil Engineering officer once as well and she said it was exactly the same with them, she never ever used her degree. I suspect the Army is the same way.

BA/Liberal Studies, TESC 2011
AAS/Applied Electronic Studies, TESC 2010

He's talking about Navy and more specifically Naval Flight Officers though, not just line officers.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AF Commission with TESU Degree TESUAF 15 4,410 08-30-2019, 02:14 PM
Last Post: Sagan
  Earning a Degree as a Nuclear ET natshar 3 2,068 09-15-2018, 09:47 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESC Automatic Military Credit Eval Prloko 2 1,449 04-24-2015, 11:53 PM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  TESC MDCP question GMT 5 1,316 09-12-2014, 07:08 AM
Last Post: GMT
  How to get a signed degree plan from TESC for MilTA? (USAF) OfficerA 6 1,985 08-11-2014, 08:32 AM
Last Post: bricabrac
  Post 9/11 and TESC 50% Eligibility mm1988 14 2,097 10-04-2013, 04:24 PM
Last Post: Vandalet
  USAF OTS application - No GPA through TESC cframe 18 3,246 09-24-2013, 10:16 AM
Last Post: Mexirican007
  TESC Management Degree/Aviation Maintenance Degree jeff080 4 1,330 02-03-2013, 09:02 PM
Last Post: jeff080
  TESC cost & MDCP defscarlett 5 1,069 01-28-2013, 08:47 AM
Last Post: Prloko
  Earning a degree entirely through military training, is it possible? Sidewinder2N 11 2,621 01-26-2013, 12:30 AM
Last Post: bldclot2