Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESC cost & MDCP
I've read some conflicting things so I'm hoping someone has an answer for me. I'm currently enrolled right now through MDCP and am in the Army National Guard. Being that I'm in a reserve component do I pay in-state or out-of-state tuition and enrollment fee if I were not in the MDCP? Also, if I were to take the 4 or 5 classes that I need under the MDCP program and then switch to a regular enrollment before meeting the "residency" requirement what would happen?

I'm self-paying for my education, so I'm trying to figure out the cheapest option...
AAS in Environmental Safety & Security Technologies from TESC - Completed 2014
and BA Emergency & Disaster Mgmt at American Military University with a minor in Security Management - Completed

Completed:
FEMA: 20 credit hours, B&M: 33 credit hours, AARTS: 14 credit hours, certifications
ALEKS: Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra
CLEP: Analyzing & Interpret. Literature CLEP - 66, English Composition Modular CLEP - 58, American Government CLEP - 58, Social Sciences & History CLEP - 63
DSST: Intro to Computing DSST - 452
Straighterline: Business Ethics (88%), Criminal Justice (94%), World Religions (93%), Cultural Anthropology (92%), Intro to Sociology (94%)
TECEP: CIS 107, ENGL 102, PSY 270, BIO 208
For TESC , active duty military members are considered residents and pay the resident tuition rate if using one of the comprehensive or enrolled options. If using th MDCP, tuition is at the full TA rate of $250 per c/h. If you are not on active duty, I believe you have to pay the full rate out of state rate of $221 (covered by TA) plus the enrollment fee (not covered by TA). Are you eligible for the GI Bill? A few members have posted that the GI Bill paid the enrollment fee. I'm assuming you are trying to take as few classes as possible.

One member on here stated they were part of the MDCP and when they completed their requirements, switched to regular enrollment and paid the fee.

Are you not using Nat Guard TA?
CLEPS Passed: 10 DSST Passed: 11 TECEPS: 1

PrLoko-isms
Don't waste time by trying to save time. The only sure way to complete your degree is to knock out credits quickly and efficiently.

Don't let easiness bite you in the rear. Know your endgame (where you want to be) and plan backward from there. Your education is a means to an end.

Be honest professionally, socially and academically. There are people (especially little ones) who look up to you and they're going by your example.

Be proud. Whether you're an Engineer or Fast Food worker, there is honor and dignity in hard work.

Picking on people weaker than you only proves that you are a weak person.
I am saving the rest of my TA to cover my Master's degree. As far as GI Bill I only get the Selected Reserve amount which is about $350/mo sent to me.
and BA Emergency & Disaster Mgmt at American Military University with a minor in Security Management - Completed

Completed:
FEMA: 20 credit hours, B&M: 33 credit hours, AARTS: 14 credit hours, certifications
CLEP: Analyzing & Interpret. Literature CLEP - 66, English Composition Modular CLEP - 58, American Government CLEP - 58, Social Sciences & History CLEP - 63
Straighterline: Business Ethics (88%), Criminal Justice (94%), World Religions (93%), Cultural Anthropology (92%), Intro to Sociology (94%)
Under you plan, the enrolled option will cost you about $6,000 in tuition and fees, if you go under the MDCP (and get the 24 credits) it will cost you about the same if you take all TESC classes. If you stick to your 4 TESC classes and and take 4 TECEPs it will go down to roughly $3,500. This is all assuming that you do not qualify for the resident tuition. If you switch the straighterline english classes for TECEPs, that knocks out 6 credits for your MDCP requirement, mix in some more TECEPs and you can reduce your cost considerbly (since they are $99 each). Also, why are you using ECE's rather than TECEP classes, aren't ECE's more expensive?

PrLoko-isms
Don't waste time by trying to save time. The only sure way to complete your degree is to knock out credits quickly and efficiently.

Don't let easiness bite you in the rear. Know your endgame (where you want to be) and plan backward from there. Your education is a means to an end.

Be honest professionally, socially and academically. There are people (especially little ones) who look up to you and they're going by your example.

Be proud. Whether you're an Engineer or Fast Food worker, there is honor and dignity in hard work.

I'm taking the two ECE's because they are specific course requirements for my BS. I'll definetly look into switching out for some TECEPS? Do those count toward the residency requirement for the MDCP?

Completed:
defscarlett Wrote:I'm taking the two ECE's because they are specific course requirements for my BS. I'll definetly look into switching out for some TECEPS? Do those count toward the residency requirement for the MDCP?

Yes, all TESC courses and exams count for the residency under the MDCP.

PrLoko-isms

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESC Automatic Military Credit Eval Prloko 2 1,461 04-24-2015, 11:53 PM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  TESC MDCP question GMT 5 1,329 09-12-2014, 07:08 AM
Last Post: GMT
  How to get a signed degree plan from TESC for MilTA? (USAF) OfficerA 6 1,990 08-11-2014, 08:32 AM
Last Post: bricabrac
  Post 9/11 and TESC 50% Eligibility mm1988 14 2,102 10-04-2013, 04:24 PM
Last Post: Vandalet
  USAF OTS application - No GPA through TESC cframe 18 3,312 09-24-2013, 10:16 AM
Last Post: Mexirican007
  TESC Management Degree/Aviation Maintenance Degree jeff080 4 1,336 02-03-2013, 09:02 PM
Last Post: jeff080
  TESC Military Degree Completion Program Change Prloko 2 1,070 10-19-2012, 08:22 AM
Last Post: Prloko
  SMARTS/TESC a misunderstanding 29palms 4 1,201 09-23-2012, 10:47 AM
Last Post: 29palms
  commissioning in air force with TESC degree jemen 9 1,754 09-18-2012, 10:55 PM
Last Post: Spencebr
  Military Degree Completion at TESC (TA - Go Army Ed - Fees questions) Riley2012 3 1,172 09-16-2012, 09:55 PM
Last Post: dthom