Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Easy way to remember logarithms?
Is there any easy way to remember logarithms?
Hey DixieGirl,

Not to be a smart butt, but, practice, practice, practice.

What "part" seems to be troubling you? Logs are used with unknown exponents, they are the inverse of exponentials.

Practicing re-writing functions from exponential form (y=b^x) to logarithmic form (x=log b y) ,the base "b" should be subscript, can help.
For example:
Exp. Form---4=2^x into Log Form----x=log2 4 (the "2" should be subscript)

Then the way to solve for "x" on the calculator is log4 divided by log2.

When written on paper it is easy to remember to divide log4 by log2 because the log4 is "on top", just like fractions(division).

^ = raised to that exponent

Which test are you preparing for? If Solving systems of equations containing logs, you will need more help than I have provided, and I suggest getting a tutor. If you just need refreshing, online resources should be enough to help. I do not know what sort of math background you have. Good Luck.

Best Regards,
Jason
Okay, thanks. I am really really dreading studying these!Sad
[SIZE="2"]That's a good question. Princeton Review's ACT book has a little section on logarithms (page 139).

Say a logarithm is log[/SIZE][SIZE="1"]x[/SIZE] [SIZE="2"]64 = 6. Just remember that the 6 on the right will be the exponent of the little "x". Then, use your calculator to see what number multiplied by itself six times equals 64.[/SIZE] [SIZE="2"]Hope this helps and is not more confusing![/SIZE]:eek:

Click on link below for example picture if it does not show up on this page.

.jpg   Less than 1 minute ago">Logarithm.JPG (Size: 7.48 KB / Downloads: 289)
If you are taking College Mathematics you can skip this all together like I did and still passed with a 60.

DixieGirl Wrote:Is there any easy way to remember logarithms?
BA Social Sciences TESC 2009

CLEP
Humanities 64 | Intro Sociology 74 | Intro Psychology 74 | College Mathematics 60 | H.G. & Dev. 66
A&I Literature 65 | Educational Psychology 71 | American Government 67 | US History I 67 | US History II 72
Social Sciences & History 65 | English Comp 63
DSST
Civil War 61 | Substance Abuse 463 | Intro Computing 465 | Technical Writing 66 | Anthropology 66 | Prin. of Supervision 62
Enviro & Humanity 68 | Org Behavior 67 | Astronomy 60 | Ethics 467
ECE
World Population A | Research Methods in Psychology A | Adulthood & Aging A | Gerontology A | UExcel Political Science B

[SIZE="4"][COLOR="Blue"]Read My Story[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE="3"] Tested out of 120 credits in 11 months. Started with [COLOR="Blue"]0[/COLOR] credits on April 20, 2008 - Finished on March 18th 2009
[/SIZE][COLOR="Navy"][COLOR="Navy"]
[SIZE="3"][COLOR="#800080"][COLOR="#4B0082"]If you've been helped by someone on this forum then help someone on this forum.[/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR]
Just wanted to thank everyone for their support over the last thirty days. I have passed seven exams and do not feel I could have done that without the support of this site and several of its members.

Good luck to everyone in the future.
A.S. General Transfer Chattanooga State 2009
B.S.L.A. Thomas Edison State College June 7, 2013
33 CLEP
18 DSST
You're done? Congratulations on accomplishing so much in such a short amount of time! Best wishes for the future!
AS in 2010 and BS in 2013 at Excelsior College - Transcripts and Costs
MS Biostatistics in 2019 at Texas A&M University - Graduate School

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*
Resources Used - 20+ Exams Passed & General GRE
Practice Tests - Available for CLEP and DSST

* Link posted with permission from forum admin; thank you!
Thought I was done, but I'm back for more and more clep tests. I'm going to take the old sit in your but classes and keep plugging along with the cleps. I failed english w/essay (and found out after the fact). But hey, that's okay, I'm already half-way there with english 101 with straighterline and just signed up for english 102 with my distance learning at local cc for summer. Next I'm going to take American Literature clep, Biology clep, Human Growth and Educational Psychology clep, Principle Management clep, and anything business related that I can find to clep out of. Looks like I'll be around for awhile. But hey as far as I am concerned I am in great company. This site is wonderful and so are the members here. You couldn't pay for better support.
A.S. General Transfer Chattanooga State 2009
B.S.L.A. Thomas Edison State College June 7, 2013
33 CLEP
18 DSST
Welcome back! Will you be pursuing a degree in nursing?
AS in 2010 and BS in 2013 at Excelsior College - Transcripts and Costs
MS Biostatistics in 2019 at Texas A&M University - Graduate School

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*
Resources Used - 20+ Exams Passed & General GRE
Practice Tests - Available for CLEP and DSST

* Link posted with permission from forum admin; thank you!
DixieGirl Wrote:Is there any easy way to remember logarithms?

I'm preparing to take the CLEP Precalc exam. I also am studying logs. I wonder how much of the actual Precalc exam actually has to do with logs. Since I have a solid grasp of algebra and functions and some trig, I hope this will be sufficient.
-Andrew T.
[SIZE="1"]
Finished: 120 credits! [BSBA Thomas Edison State College] See my degree plan here.
[/SIZE]
Now Available for Amazon Kindle: How to Test Out of Your First Year of College (And More)