Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
English Composition no longer available as CLEP?
I'm new to the CLEP routine, but have tested out of American Government. I was going to take English Comp because I failed the course years ago and wanted to replace that with a passing grade. I've been studying on Instant Cert and was ready to schedule the exam, but it is not available anymore.
I called The College Board and they said that English Comp and Freshman English are no longer offered and have been replaced by College Comp.

The degree plan at TESC for Business-Finance still lists English Comp as a requirement.

So- will the College Comp fill the requirements of English Comp at TESC?

And- is the exam much different?

Many thanks!
There are two CLEP exams now, College Composition and College Composition Modular. New names for what is essentially the same thing. I don't know which exam you should take - that's for you to find out using official sources. Many institutions are slow in updating their CLEP policies to use the new names.

For the benefit of all who see this, it's important to check and recheck on anything and everything concerning academic credits. What I tell you may be incorrect. What you read on this forum can be incorrect - not necessarily because it is wrong, but because what is right could change between the publication date and when you read a post. Sometimes you'll even be told something about CLEP by a school official that is incorrect. Do your research and double check.
63 CLEP Sociology
75 CLEP U.S. History II
63 CLEP College Algebra
70 CLEP Analyzing and Interpreting Literature
68 DSST Technical Writing
72 CLEP U.S. History I
77 CLEP College Mathematics
470 DSST Statistics
53 CLEP College Composition
73 CLEP Biology
54 CLEP Chemistry
77 CLEP Information Systems and Computer Applications
@TESC CLEP - College-Level Exam Program

College Comp = ENC-101 & ENC-102 (6 CR)
College Comp Modular = ENC-101 (3 CR)

"Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan." -Tom Landry

TESC:
AAS, Admin Studies. 2010
BA, Social Sciences. 2010. Arnold Fletcher Award.
AAS, Environmental, Safety & Security Technologies. 2011
BSBA, General Management. 2011. Arnold Fletcher Award. Sigma Beta Delta (ΣΒΔWink!
And please realize that many colleges who grant credit for CLEP exams will continue to post old (retired) exams because there are some people out there who did take those exams and can still get credit for them. In regards to the composition exams, I can recall seeing at least one college who listed English Composition, Freshman Composition, College Composition, and College Composition Modular (covering past and current exams).
bricabrac Wrote:@TESC CLEP - College-Level Exam Program

College Comp = ENC-101 & ENC-102 (6 CR)
College Comp Modular = ENC-101 (3 CR)

Thanks all. I will confirm that College Comp fills the requirements at TESC, looks like it does if College Comp = ENC 101 & ENC 102.

I've been studying on Instantcert for English Comp. I understand that College Comp has 2 written essays vs 1 in the old English Comp.

Any other big differences on the exam?
Reanimating this thread because I just realized I took the CLEP English Composition in 1993, and the CLEP Freshman English in 1994. I have a feeling they're going to count as duplicate credits. No idea what I was thinking back then Big Grin
TESU BALS Humanities, thanks to this place!

The mind is willing, but the wallet is weak.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Arts Institute is no longer... And they all bite the dust... bjcheung77 1 364 10-02-2023, 08:44 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  AP, CLEP, IB, vs others - Comparison/Example bjcheung77 0 515 08-11-2023, 12:12 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  77 Online credit courses in English from Germany - from €16/ECTS FrHaseKopf 19 6,794 04-22-2023, 01:27 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Where can I find a cheap college-level writing/composition course ftlclam 4 819 02-27-2023, 11:28 PM
Last Post: ftlclam
  Saudi Scholarship: No funding for English studies bjcheung77 2 774 12-13-2022, 08:43 AM
Last Post: Fewind
  No longer a distinction between national and regional accreditors inf 9 1,309 09-26-2022, 09:28 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  AP, CLEP, etc - Credit Banking on Credly bjcheung77 2 1,856 09-02-2022, 12:16 PM
Last Post: vintage_jacket
  combine CLEP & ACTFL? defmo 5 862 08-05-2022, 08:58 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  English 2 Jennr2z 2 623 05-28-2022, 05:22 PM
Last Post: Jennr2z
  English 2 CLEP Jennr2z 6 1,331 05-25-2022, 10:02 AM
Last Post: ss20ts