Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Excelsior: ALEKS Beginning Algebra duplicates ...
Excelsior only allows 3 math courses below the level of Calculus  

I already have 
ALEKS Beginning Algebra 
https://www.aleks.com/about_aleks/course...begalgebra

http://www2.acenet.edu/credit/?fuseactio...CE=1004997 

I sent Excelsior message asking approval for 
CLEP College Mathematics 
https://clep.collegeboard.org/science-an...athematics

and 

Excelsior UExcel exam Contemporary Mathematics 
Catalog number: MATx100 
https://www.excelsior.edu/exams/contempo...athematics

they said no to both 

both duplicate the ALEKS course 

I am VERY surprised. 

The UExcel exam page even says 
"Knowledge of arithmetic and elementary algebra are prerequisites for the material covered in this examination."

So it makes sense to me that I could do the ALEKS and the UExcel. 
But I guess not. 

Maybe Excelsior got ALEKS Beginning Algebra confused with ALEKS College Algebra ?
I can see how ALEKS College Algebra might dulpicate CLEP College Mathematics.

If I knew all this would duplicate I would have done the CLEP instead. It gives 6 credits while the ALEKS only gives 3.

Oh well ...
Is your ALEKS Beginning Algebra sitting in your ACE account from a while ago? It expired 8/31/17. Just meaning that I hope you didn't take it recently thinking it was going to work.

As for taking the CLEP, can't you take it and have the 2nd 3cr count? Or boot out ALEKS and replace it with the CLEP?
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
> Is your ALEKS Beginning Algebra sitting in your ACE account from a while ago?

yeah, last year some time
and the transcript was already sent to Excelsior
they already accepted it and applied it to my degree

> can't you take it and have the 2nd 3cr count? Or boot out ALEKS and replace it with the CLEP?

I don't know
they just said
no, it would duplicate the ALEKS

maybe I'll send another message and ask about these two options
(07-25-2018, 12:36 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Is your ALEKS Beginning Algebra sitting in your ACE account from a while ago?  It expired 8/31/17. 

Actually it now expires 7/31/18.
(07-25-2018, 02:12 PM)Old Guy Wrote:
(07-25-2018, 12:36 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Is your ALEKS Beginning Algebra sitting in your ACE account from a while ago?  It expired 8/31/17. 

Actually it now expires 7/31/18.

I believe dfrecore may be  thinking Aleks Intermediate Algebra - due to her being a TESU credit guru, as TESU never took ALEKS Beginning Algebra for credit.

With that said, there are still 3 other math options that ALEKS currently an option until 7/31/18 - the actual College Algebra, Trigonometry or any one of the  Statistics - they should not duplicate, even at Excelsior.  I had applied to Excelsior way back and I had Beginning, Intermediate and College Algebra all from ALEKS and they did not duplicate.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

I think this is not unusual. Beg Algebra doesn't currently BUT USED TO count as a 100 level math at TESU years back. At that time, College Math came in as a 100 level math (though non-duplicating). I think Excelsior is just being a little more "normal" in counting all 3 as your basic 100 level non-algebra college math.
> I had Beginning, Intermediate and College Algebra all from ALEKS and they did not duplicate.

crazy that Beginning Algebra does not duplicate Intermediate Algebra, but it does duplicate College Mathematics

> I think Excelsior is just being a little more "normal" in counting all 3 as your basic 100 level non-algebra college math.

but even the UExcel exam page says
"Knowledge of arithmetic and elementary algebra are prerequisites for the material covered in this examination."

so it seems like "elementary algebra" should be different from "Contemporary Mathematics"
I would think "Beginning Algebra" would the prerequisite course for "Contemporary Mathematics"
I have ALEKS' Beginning Algebra on my degree, it used to work at TESU.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(07-25-2018, 08:50 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I have ALEKS' Beginning Algebra on my degree, it used to work at TESU.

I have Beginning Algebra on my ACE transcript from 2011 (when it was still accepted), but I can't use it now. Sad
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
(07-25-2018, 04:23 PM)bluebooger Wrote: > I had Beginning, Intermediate and College Algebra all from ALEKS and they did not duplicate.

crazy that Beginning Algebra does not duplicate Intermediate Algebra, but it does duplicate College Mathematics

> I think Excelsior is just being a little more "normal" in counting all 3 as your basic 100 level non-algebra college math.

but even the UExcel exam page says

so it seems like "elementary algebra" should be different from "Contemporary Mathematics"
I would think "Beginning Algebra" would the prerequisite course for "Contemporary Mathematics"

I get it- but TESU used to be a little more generous with courses. Even similar courses had different numbers, thus non-duplicating. I'm not going to muddy the waters by pulling an old ALEKS thread, but they awarded credit for a LOT of math at one time. I believe that you could get about 21 credits of math through the ALEKS sequence and CLEP if memory serves. Everything was non-duplicating, but that was unusual. If I go to my community college's website, for example, there is only 1 math at the 100 level that's a gen ed. There are AAS maths in certain fields (ex. Culinary Math) but the gen ed transfer maths are essential all the same but with sometimes different titles. Most colleges just have 1 "non-algebra" 100 level math. Sometimes called Contemporary Math, Math for Liberal Arts, etc.
Part two of that, even when Beg. Alg was a thing, the shocker was that it was worth college credit (at TESU) because at *most colleges, that would be considered "developmental" (under-100) and so I think when TESU finally adopted it as developmental, most of us were bummed but not shocked. That anyone anywhere is giving any kind of credit for it is great- but I do understand the principle to be (probably) that you only get 1 "under algebra" math on your degree, and it seems like EC is saying "any of these, but only one of these."

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Excelsior HR Degree Progress glgamerica 6 1,801 07-31-2018, 10:44 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU gen. ed. algebra requirement alternatives? kietro 5 1,689 07-27-2018, 09:58 AM
Last Post: rckola911
  Excelsior College 47th Annual Commencement - 12 Year Old Graduate Life Long Learning 16 4,854 07-26-2018, 01:11 AM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  finishing ALEKS? a2jc4life 2 999 07-25-2018, 11:52 PM
Last Post: a2jc4life
  Excelsior homeschoolmom1 1 1,264 07-20-2018, 11:10 AM
Last Post: hsfamfun
  Excelsior homeschoolmom1 0 943 07-19-2018, 02:06 PM
Last Post: homeschoolmom1
  Excelsior annual fees homeschoolmom1 1 1,237 07-14-2018, 11:27 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
Photo Shmoop Excelsior Evaluations In ReyMysterioso 0 1,748 06-27-2018, 10:20 AM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso
  Excelsior College awarded 245K for Advanced Nuclear Project Life Long Learning 1 1,201 06-25-2018, 09:28 AM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  Excelsior College ranked #1 Life Long Learning 11 3,340 06-21-2018, 07:57 PM
Last Post: miah