Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Excelsior-Can Math Degree Be Completed Completely by Testing Alone?
I have been looking into finishing my degree by testing through Excelsior. I have about 60 credits now. After looking at the business degree, I decided I did not want to have to take any courses from EC.

My question - can the Math degree be completed entirely by testing alone(as much as possible from DANTES/CLEP/GRE assuming I can pass the tests :p)?

If not, which degrees CAN be passed completely by testing? Maybe the better question is which degrees can be completed without taking the Excelsior classes or tests?

Thanks!
I think that if you score above the 80th% on the GRE Mathematics that that will take care of the Mathematics major. From there I believe you can test out of all other requirements. There may still be one or two classes you'd have to take for the degree, but the GRE Mathematics would take care of just about the entire major.
[SIZE="1"]CLEP exams passed:
Management, Accounting, Marketing, Macroeconomics, Microeconomics

DSST exams passed:
Human Resources Management, Organizational Behavior, Statistics, Management Information Systems

Earned:
B.A. in Business Administration: Technology Management from Saint Leo University

M.S. in Leadership: Business Ethics from Duquesne University [/SIZE]
Are we talking about taking a few classes or tests through Excelsior?

Have they changed things in the last year where most/all degrees require a class at Excelsior?
texassprite Wrote:Are we talking about taking a few classes or tests through Excelsior?

Have they changed things in the last year where most/all degrees require a class at Excelsior?

There isn't an exam really for the Information Literacy requirement, so that's one class many people end up having to take. Excelsior will accept Info Lit. from other more affordable sources, though. I've read that Excelsior's Info Lit. class is pre-approved and can be done online in about three hours, so it's not as bad as it sounds.

The other requirement that cannot be easily done by exam is the Written English Requirement, since they don't accept the English Comp. exam as fulfilling it. You can take the class at a Community College--make sure to get approval from an adviser--or you could get with a local high school and see if they would be willing to let you sit the AP English exam. It's only offered once a year.

Assuming you pass the math GRE, those two courses are the ones that you may need to take the class or exam from Excelsior. Hope this helps!
[SIZE="6"]~~ Alissa~~[/SIZE]
[size="4"]"Whether you think you can or think you can’t, you’re right." - - Henry Ford[/size]
[COLOR="DarkSlateGray"][SIZE="2"]DONE:
BS Liberal Studies, Excelsior College May 2009
[/SIZE][/COLOR]
Current website favorite:
http://www.careeronestop.org/
Thanks for the info! I have already taken English 101, so looks like Information Literacy may be my only "real" class (unless they allow my Introduction to Computer Science from 1990 Smile)

Thanks again!
doubtlful. Info Lit, is related more to searching the library and such.
Also, the Math major requires 33 credits, not just 30 (which the GRE covers), and they are likely to rule that the GRE duplicates any CLEP or DSST credits you might earn in Mathematics. You really should talk to an advisor and make sure exactly what the requirements will be, as the catalog and student guide are a little vague as to this specific major.

-Gary-
On the info lit - it was just wishful thinking on my part. I don't mind taking the class; I just wanted to save as much money as possible.

On the math credits, I don't have any CLEP/DSST's yet, but I did take Business Calculus and Analytical Geometry/Calculus in college (changed majors after 1st year), so hopefully they will give some credit for those toward the 30 to 33 credits on the chart.

I did put in my application in this week; I guess I'll wait and see what they say.
The GRE in Mathematics is probably going to be the fastest, and most effective, manner of earning that many math credits. Another good place to look for math credit-by-exam is Ohio University. I've taken several of their exams previously, and I liked the program. The tests aren't all multiple choice like DSST of CLEP, though. However, like ECE and TECEP, you are told in advance exactly which books to study. Furthermore, the instructors are very specific on what will be covered in the exams. Details here: Ohio U Math Courses
texassprite Wrote:If not, which degrees CAN be passed completely by testing? Maybe the better question is which degrees can be completed without taking the Excelsior classes or tests?

Thanks!

You can complete a Psychology degree from TESC without taking any classes, but i'm not sure about the requirements at EC.
[SIZE="1"]AAS (Electronics), TESC-Done
BA Psychology, TESC-Done & waiting
Tests- Eng. Comp. w/ Essay-51, Principles of Mgmt.-59, Intro. to Soc.-62, US History I-66, US History II-61, Intro. to Psych.-68, Biology-55, A&I Lit.-62, Ed. Psych.-63, Soc. Sci. and History-63, Human Growth & Development-65, American Gov't-64, Tech. Writing-63, HTYH-64, Drug & Alc. Abuse-58, Org. Behavior-67, Prin. of Statistics-62, Intro. World Religion-68, Intro to Computing-403, Ethics-439. Research Methods in Psych.-A, Psych. of Personality TECEP-73, Abnormal Psych TECEP-74, Industrial Psych-71
Next-???[/SIZE]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What do i Do if an application asks for GPA with a degree from the Big 3? Crt 5 3,230 09-19-2018, 08:54 AM
Last Post: Johmford
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,875 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Help with figuring out TESU History Degree plan AJay5595 10 3,365 09-06-2018, 10:56 AM
Last Post: BAngieB
  Associates degree in Business - Options? allen3373 9 2,685 09-04-2018, 02:57 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  My Technical Studies Degree Plan SRES 17 4,901 08-31-2018, 12:23 AM
  BSBA in Finance Degree Plan from TESU UnbreakablyDetermined 2 2,786 08-30-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Luiscastaneda25
  Has anyone been overlooked for a degree Crt 21 5,035 08-29-2018, 12:06 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Advice on Choosing a Degree Program UnbreakablyDetermined 3 1,972 08-26-2018, 08:06 PM
  COSC 2nd Degree Plan mb232627 5 2,341 08-24-2018, 12:55 AM
Last Post: mb232627
  TESU math degree plan. Am I doing this right? jakepg 9 2,702 08-23-2018, 09:20 PM
Last Post: armstrongsubero