Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Udacity Update
A few months ago, I posted on another thread about my experience with trying to get Udacity’s Intro to Statistics class put on my ACE transcript. To make a long story short, ACE has now put the following disclaimer on all of its Udacity course descriptions:

“Credit is recommended for students who earn a Verified Certificate from Udacity for this class. This requires enrollment in the full course and completion of a verified final assessment. Completion of the free courseware alone is not sufficient to receive ACE credit recommendations.”

Udacity is transitioning to offering “verified certificates,” which cost $150 per month, per class. They still do not offer verified certificates for all of their ACE-approved classes, but I think they are developing verified versions of them. Udacity is also changing its website to place less emphasis on the free classes and more on the verified certificates. I can no longer find any mention of ACE approval on Udacity’s website, so clearly it’s not something they wish to promote.

When I first decided to take the Intro to Statistics class, my hope was that it would be a free alternative to ALEKS classes. ALEKS, however, clearly wins the stats prize; I cannot imagine why anyone would pay $150 for only two hours of credit.

However, I can see Udacity’s usefulness in two different areas. First, the free courseware might be useful to some, especially for test prep or learning code. Also, some of the verified certificates they offer in computer science count as upper-level credit, so $150/ month for 3 UL credits wouldn’t be fantastically expensive if you could knock out the class quickly. They even say that some of their classes are part of a Georgia Tech Master’s in CS program, but once again, the website has remarkably little to say on that subject.

Udacity’s customer service was rather lamentable, but I really appreciated ACE’s going the extra mile (and the weeks it took) for them to figure out exactly what was going on with Udacity. I also appreciate the disclaimer they now have posted about Udacity classes. If I had seen that before taking the class, I would have pursued other options.
BA, MA, EdS, MMT, etc.
83 hours of ACE-worthy credits
Would it be fair to say that MOOCs are systematically straying from their original "mission"?
- Akintayo

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AA General Studies, 2014. Thomas Edison State College of New Jersey

BSBA General Management, 2014 - Thomas Edison State College of New Jersey

Bachelor of Religious Studies, 2015 - NationsUniversity
Bachelor of Arts in Management - Leadership, 2016 - Patten University

Award:
Arnold Fletcher Award, 2014. Thomas Edison State College of New Jersey

Graduate School
Master of Science in Management, MSc - The University of Economics in Bratislava - full time studies

ENMU MBA: 2 classes completed - discontinued as am now to attend a local university in Slovakia

65 Semester Hours from Obafemi Awolowo University
45 Credits from Straighterline
24 Credits from TECEP
13 Credits from Penn Foster College
12 Credits fro ALEKS
4 Credits from TEEX
Saharapost Wrote:Would it be fair to say that MOOCs are systematically straying from their original "mission"?
I don't know what you mean.

I think MOOC's are cool, but at the end of the day someone has to cover the cost. Every school, public, private, for or not for profit, they all need to operate in the black. Who can afford to go through the relatively costly accreditation process and still offer viable programming, for credit, for free? Even "successful" experiments like Saylor are underwritten by actual cash.

I believe udacity offers these "free" courses as a loss leader to get "students" in the door. If memory serves they then recommend you to schools like Strayer where you can then fork over ridiculous amounts of money for a school of questionable quality...but it still comes down to the $$$$$
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
Which Udacity courses are UL? How come I can't find them on the ACE National Guide? Are they listed under a different name?
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
rebel100 Wrote:I don't know what you mean.

I think MOOC's are cool, but at the end of the day someone has to cover the cost. Every school, public, private, for or not for profit, they all need to operate in the black. Who can afford to go through the relatively costly accreditation process and still offer viable programming, for credit, for free? Even "successful" experiments like Saylor are underwritten by actual cash.

I believe udacity offers these "free" courses as a loss leader to get "students" in the door. If memory serves they then recommend you to schools like Strayer where you can then fork over ridiculous amounts of money for a school of questionable quality...but it still comes down to the $$$$$

I agree that it cost $$$$$$ for MOOCs providers to continue operating, however, if the purpose of introducing MOOC, is to increase access to higher education, I think charging $150 per course per month is too much considering that- the ACE "certified" course may not be accepted by all schools and that most of those taking MOOCs seem to come from developing nations where they tend to lack the funding to take traditional online courses. I think charging $150 per class per month for a 2 credit course may not represent the picture that most people have about MOOCs...
- Akintayo

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AA General Studies, 2014. Thomas Edison State College of New Jersey

BSBA General Management, 2014 - Thomas Edison State College of New Jersey

Bachelor of Religious Studies, 2015 - NationsUniversity
Bachelor of Arts in Management - Leadership, 2016 - Patten University

Award:
Arnold Fletcher Award, 2014. Thomas Edison State College of New Jersey

Graduate School
Master of Science in Management, MSc - The University of Economics in Bratislava - full time studies

ENMU MBA: 2 classes completed - discontinued as am now to attend a local university in Slovakia

65 Semester Hours from Obafemi Awolowo University
45 Credits from Straighterline
24 Credits from TECEP
13 Credits from Penn Foster College
12 Credits fro ALEKS
4 Credits from TEEX
Well, that's odd. They are now on the list of "inactive" ACE providers. If you try to add one of their classes to your transcript, you can see the list of previous courses.

And in even stranger news, exactly four months after I finished the Intro to Stats class, a Udacity rep just contacted me to say that I must pass a proctored exit interview for the class, in which they will verify my identity, ask me questions about the course, and ask me questions about how I got my answers for the final exam. Oh, and this must be scheduled between now and April 18, after which they will not be able to provide exit interviews.
BA, MA, EdS, MMT, etc.
Just checked and Intro to Artificial Intelligence and Intro to Parallel Programming were the UL CS courses, although I think a couple of the others looked like UL credit from TESC when I did a PLA search. They had a total of seven courses for ACE credit, but now who knows?
BA, MA, EdS, MMT, etc.
KayV Wrote:Just checked and Intro to Artificial Intelligence and Intro to Parallel Programming were the UL CS courses, although I think a couple of the others looked like UL credit from TESC when I did a PLA search. They had a total of seven courses for ACE credit, but now who knows?

It appears that they are charging for the courses now. On the Ace website it says for Intro to Computer Science:

Credit is recommended for students who earn a Verified Certificate from Udacity for this class. This requires enrollment in the full course and completion of a verified final assessment. Completion of the free courseware alone is not sufficient to receive ACE credit recommendations.

The course is $150 per month and is worth 2 credits.

Full courses are here:
https://www.udacity.com/courses#!/All

I think only Intro to Comp Science is worth credit at ACE
Aleks: Beginning, Intermediate, College Algebra, Trigonometry, Intro to Statistics
Straighterline: Cultural Anthropology, Religion, Biology, Environmental Science, Philosophy, Eng Comp I, C++.
Working on - Eng Comp II, Intro Comm
Sophia Intro to Psych
TEEX: CYB101, CYB201, CYB301
NFA: Q318, Q118, Q137
Kaplan: Documenting Experiences

Goal: Complete Gen Ed. requirements.
This sounds like a huge pain! Thank you for posting about all of this... I'll know to avoid the Udacity courses now for anything other than test preparation!
MBA, Walden University (In progress - 60% done)
2016 TESU, BA-LIBST, Emphases in Multimedia Comm./Human & Social Services
TESU TECEPS: Abnormal Psych PSY-350, Psych of Women PSY-270, Sales Mgmnt MAR-322, Advertising MAR-323, Marketing COM-210; Capstone w/ Ciacco
Other Sources: CLEP, Art Portfolio, 3 Comm. Colleges, 2 Art Colleges,  FEMA, AICPCU Ethics

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Udacity & AWS AI & ML Scholarship bjcheung77 1 309 02-01-2024, 05:52 PM
Last Post: evenFair23
  50% off Black Friday sale Udacity Imbanewbie 0 325 11-18-2023, 10:04 PM
Last Post: Imbanewbie
  MyWay Transfer Update: Non-degree awarding course provider bjcheung77 10 1,764 11-15-2023, 12:30 PM
Last Post: SophiaPrincess
  Upgrad looking at majority stake in Udacity bjcheung77 0 364 07-14-2023, 01:17 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  GetEducated.com Major Update (business degrees) freeloader 1 729 04-06-2022, 02:36 PM
Last Post: Vle045
  MSI Update - No longer IASSC... bjcheung77 12 2,743 03-29-2021, 04:39 PM
Last Post: monchevy
  Credit sources update rachel83az 12 3,847 02-11-2021, 03:32 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Udacity - 75% off courses for Black Friday! bjcheung77 3 1,006 12-01-2020, 01:13 AM
Last Post: innen_oda
  Udacity Intro to Cybersecurity nanodegree Cofffeee 7 1,380 07-30-2020, 09:39 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Udacity 50% off 2019 pricing - Ends 15th Jan 11:59PST bjcheung77 22 4,085 02-15-2020, 12:25 AM
Last Post: asianphd