Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Excelsior: Information Literacy and Research and Writing
Research and writing appears to be a separate requirement from research methods for their liberal arts degrees. Is there an alternative option for satisfying this requirement, or does one have to take it at Excelsior?

Which school is telling students they can no longer transfer in information literacy? I looked at Excelsior's business and technology catalog, and it says that information literacy can be transferred in from a regionally accredited college as long as it is less than 5 years old. Does this mean that Penn Foster and Tor College Credits won't be accepted?
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
sanantone Wrote:Research and writing appears to be a separate requirement from research methods for their liberal arts degrees. Is there an alternative option for satisfying this requirement, or does one have to take it at Excelsior?

Which school is telling students they can no longer transfer in information literacy? I looked at Excelsior's business and technology catalog, and it says that information literacy can be transferred in from a regionally accredited college as long as it is less than 5 years old. Does this mean that Penn Foster and Tor College Credits won't be accepted?

It was just one user that was told that. when I emailed to clarify, they said TCC was accepted regardless of degree.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
jsd Wrote:It was just one user that was told that. when I emailed to clarify, they said TCC was accepted regardless of degree.

Thank you. Now, I just need clarification on the research and writing requirement. I've emailed them, but I don't know if I'll get a direct answer without them telling me to apply.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Yeah, they have been a pain getting info each of the few times I tried. I think that TCC answer took something like 2 weeks to get.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
jsd Wrote:Yeah, they have been a pain getting info each of the few times I tried. I think that TCC answer took something like 2 weeks to get.

I heard it a few times over the years that an advisor told someone that they couldn't use the Penn Foster course for information literacy. I don't know if this is just one advisor giving bad info. Their degree charts say "Research and Writing in the Degree." So, I'm guessing the course has to be specific to your major. Psychology has a research methods and research and writing in the degree requirement, so it sounds like research methods won't fulfill the research and writing requirement.

Excelsior's military department is pretty good at responding to emails, but my previous contacts with their admissions department have usually been unfruitful. Even after I applied in 2011, they wouldn't give me much information. They kept telling me that I needed to enroll. We'll see.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Each school at EC generally accepts college credits differently. I took information literacy at my state college for a graded credit, only to have it accepted during the preliminarily and denied during the official evaluation at EC; which is the only evaluation that matters. I also took research methods at Liberty University only for EC to deny it as a requirement to fulfill the research and writing credit.

Unless you are an enrolled student at Excelsior College you are generally dealing with "admission counselors" who typically know very little about each schools policies and how things are handled. You are better off reading the school website, going through the catalogs then talking to admission counslors.
Once you are enrolled things change drastically, as you are then given your very own academic advisor who is the one who evaluates your credits; decides what credits will be accepted ect. Generally anything you may have problems with in regard to getting things handled at the school your academic advisor can pretty much do. Which is one of the things I really liked about the college as you are able to talk to the person who decides what credits will be accepted. Anytime I had issues academically I received emails back the same day, or the next day if it was after hours; or just calling the school of liberal arts gets things handled fast.
Grad cert., Applied Behavior Analysis, Ball State University
M.S., in Applied Psychology, Lynn Univeristy
B.S., in Psychology, Excelsior College
A.A., Florida State College at Jacksonville
Exfactor Wrote:Each school at EC generally accepts college credits differently. I took information literacy at my state college for a graded credit, only to have it accepted during the preliminarily and denied during the official evaluation at EC; which is the only evaluation that matters. I also took research methods at Liberty University only for EC to deny it as a requirement to fulfill the research and writing credit.

Unless you are an enrolled student at Excelsior College you are generally dealing with "admission counselors" who typically know very little about each schools policies and how things are handled. You are better off reading the school website, going through the catalogs then talking to admission counslors.
Once you are enrolled things change drastically, as you are then given your very own academic advisor who is the one who evaluates your credits; decides what credits will be accepted ect. Generally anything you may have problems with in regard to getting things handled at the school your academic advisor can pretty much do. Which is one of the things I really liked about the college as you are able to talk to the person who decides what credits will be accepted. Anytime I had issues academically I received emails back the same day, or the next day if it was after hours; or just calling the school of liberal arts gets things handled fast.

Thanks. The issue is that I wouldn't want to pay over $1,000 to enroll only to later find out that I need to take an additional course that costs $1,530.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Why are you thinking about applying at Excelsior, Sanantone?
BA, MA, EdS, MMT, etc.
83 hours of ACE-worthy credits
KayV Wrote:Why are you thinking about applying at Excelsior, Sanantone?

I was entertaining the idea of earning a natural science degree after my PhD, especially if Excelsior creates CBEs for its liberal arts capstones. But, it most likely won't happen because the degree is not very alternative source of credit-friendly.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
[quote=sanantone]I heard it a few times over the years that an advisor told someone that they couldn't use the Penn Foster course for information literacy. I don't know if this is just one advisor giving bad info. Their degree charts say "Research and Writing in the Degree." So, I'm guessing the course has to be specific to your major. Psychology has a research methods and research and writing in the degree requirement, so it sounds like research methods won't fulfill the research and writing requirement.

QUOTE]

I enrolled last fall semester and my academic advisor told me specifically they would not accept Penn Foster Info Lit. Ended up having to sign up for Excelsior's course and passed it in 30 minutes. You don't even have to read through the sections of material provided. The test was multiple choice and laughably easy (What is plagiarism? Which of these is used to enter information into a computer...printer, keyboard, laser pointer?).

400 dollars gone...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESU Information Literacy mysonx3 2 2,226 09-01-2018, 12:43 AM
Last Post: Merlin
  Excelsior HR Degree Progress glgamerica 6 1,819 07-31-2018, 10:44 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Excelsior: ALEKS Beginning Algebra duplicates ... bluebooger 13 3,157 07-26-2018, 09:15 PM
Last Post: Exfactor
  Excelsior College 47th Annual Commencement - 12 Year Old Graduate Life Long Learning 16 4,907 07-26-2018, 01:11 AM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  Excelsior homeschoolmom1 1 1,277 07-20-2018, 11:10 AM
Last Post: hsfamfun
  Excelsior homeschoolmom1 0 955 07-19-2018, 02:06 PM
Last Post: homeschoolmom1
  Excelsior annual fees homeschoolmom1 1 1,255 07-14-2018, 11:27 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Research topic LA498 22gunsonfire 2 1,280 07-07-2018, 04:48 PM
Last Post: 22gunsonfire
Photo Shmoop Excelsior Evaluations In ReyMysterioso 0 1,767 06-27-2018, 10:20 AM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso
  Excelsior College awarded 245K for Advanced Nuclear Project Life Long Learning 1 1,214 06-25-2018, 09:28 AM
Last Post: Life Long Learning