Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Excelsior: Information Literacy and Research and Writing
When I inquired as an enrolled student back in December 2015, was told by my advisor at the time that neither Penn Foster nor TCC's info lit course would count. I went back and forth with this one particular advisor about several course alternatives; she was not so friendly or helpful. She basically told me if I wanted to see if an outside course would fit into my degree plan (BLS) to submit a copy of the course syllabus and she would get back to me. Not a good experience in my opinion...maybe it was just that ONE advisor
Bachelor of Science in Professional Studies
Open College @ Kaplan University
Completed
April 2016

Master of Business Administration
Kaplan University now Purdue University
In Progress
32 out of 60 credits earned
Wallerstein Wrote:I enrolled last fall semester and my academic advisor told me specifically they would not accept Penn Foster Info Lit. Ended up having to sign up for Excelsior's course and passed it in 30 minutes. You don't even have to read through the sections of material provided. The test was multiple choice and laughably easy (What is plagiarism? Which of these is used to enter information into a computer...printer, keyboard, laser pointer?).

400 dollars gone...

I don't need a course like that. I've already taken an information literacy course in the past, and things like plagiarism don't change. Technology changes, but I have passed far more advanced IT/IS courses and tests recently.

futuremrsmlb Wrote:When I inquired as an enrolled Student back in December 2015. I was told by my advisor at the time that neither Penn Foster nor TCC's info lit course would count. I went back and forth with this one particular advisor about several of course alternatives; she was not so friendly or helpful. She basically told me if I wanted to see if an outside course would fit into my degree plan (BLS) to submit a copy of the course syllabus and she would get back to me. Not a good experience in my opinion...maybe it was just that ONE advisor

My information literacy course from Colorado Technical University wouldn't count at Excelsior now because it's too old. But, back when I applied in 2011, they said they needed to do a further evaluation to see if it would be accepted. Of course, that more thorough evaluation comes after you pay the $1,065 enrollment fee. You're already paying $100 just to apply. Why can't they give you a full, official evaluation? My 3-credit info lit course at CTU was superior to what they offer at Excelsior because it was a 3-credit course that covered more material rather than just a 1-credit course that can be completed in a few hours. I don't know why they're so picky about this throwaway course.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
sanantone Wrote:Research and writing appears to be a separate requirement from research methods for their liberal arts degrees. Is there an alternative option for satisfying this requirement, or does one have to take it at Excelsior?

Which school is telling students they can no longer transfer in information literacy? I looked at Excelsior's business and technology catalog, and it says that information literacy can be transferred in from a regionally accredited college as long as it is less than 5 years old. Does this mean that Penn Foster and Tor College Credits won't be accepted?

I can confirm that TOR College Credits' Information Literacy exam fulfills the information literacy requirement at Excelsior.
Associate in Arts - Thomas Edison State University
Bachelor of Arts in Humanities - Thomas Edison State University
pursuing Master's degree, Applied Linguistics - Universidad Antonio de Nebrija

*credit sources: Patten University, Straighterline, Learning Counts, The Institutes, Torah College Credits, Kaplan Open College, UMUC, Thomas Edison State University (guided study liberal arts capstone)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESU Information Literacy mysonx3 2 2,226 09-01-2018, 12:43 AM
Last Post: Merlin
  Excelsior HR Degree Progress glgamerica 6 1,824 07-31-2018, 10:44 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Excelsior: ALEKS Beginning Algebra duplicates ... bluebooger 13 3,162 07-26-2018, 09:15 PM
Last Post: Exfactor
  Excelsior College 47th Annual Commencement - 12 Year Old Graduate Life Long Learning 16 4,915 07-26-2018, 01:11 AM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  Excelsior homeschoolmom1 1 1,287 07-20-2018, 11:10 AM
Last Post: hsfamfun
  Excelsior homeschoolmom1 0 957 07-19-2018, 02:06 PM
Last Post: homeschoolmom1
  Excelsior annual fees homeschoolmom1 1 1,259 07-14-2018, 11:27 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Research topic LA498 22gunsonfire 2 1,282 07-07-2018, 04:48 PM
Last Post: 22gunsonfire
Photo Shmoop Excelsior Evaluations In ReyMysterioso 0 1,770 06-27-2018, 10:20 AM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso
  Excelsior College awarded 245K for Advanced Nuclear Project Life Long Learning 1 1,217 06-25-2018, 09:28 AM
Last Post: Life Long Learning