Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Excelsior degree info needed
Be bold and go for gold. Forget the BSc altogether, go for the Masters, here's an online one, and for £4,500/year.
I think with your BN and soon to be finished BSc in Sports Science, you may qualify, you never know.
Program: https://www.gre.ac.uk/postgraduate-courses/engsci/bio
Fees Link: https://www.gre.ac.uk/finance/fees/postgraduate-fees
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
BS vs. BA does not matter. There's no set criteria for what a BS should be. What matters is the content of the degree program. TESU's BA in Biology is an actual biology program, and Excelsior's BS in Natural Science with a concentration in Biology is not equivalent to a major in biology.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
(08-23-2021, 01:48 PM)sanantone Wrote: BS vs. BA does not matter. There's no set criteria for what a BS should be. What matters is the content of the degree program. TESU's BA in Biology is an actual biology program, and Excelsior's BS in Natural Science with a concentration in Biology is not equivalent to a major in biology.

Can you actually do the TESU BA Biology degree if you transfer in the labs? Yes I know it would be expensive. Either of the degrees mentioned would do or Health sciences. I have no plans to do a master's in biology.
Do they both take RA/NA credits? I'm thinking to work on my credits this academic year and see where it leads me this time next year.

My GenEds are mostly ACE credits.
Yes, if you transfer in the relevant classes, you can do the biology degree. I made a tentative plan here: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sa...egree_Plan You might be able to find some cheaper science courses at your local community college.

The trick is taking sufficient UL courses. You need 15 UL credits (plus the UL capstone to make 18 total) but the electives are only 13 credits. You need 3 or 6 UL credits in the main AOS to be able to meet the UL requirements. I did manage to find some UL courses that should work.

I haven't added everything up, but the cost should come in at 12-15k. Not cheap for a TESU degree, but probably the cheapest way to get a Biology degree.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
What courses come under Arts & Sciences? Does it have to be none AoS (natural science) or is it like it says 'Science'? This is for the excelsior BS Natural Science degree.
My plan so far. I kow I most likely will have courses in the wrong places.
(09-01-2021, 05:08 AM)debrag Wrote: My plan so far. I kow I most likely will have courses in the wrong places.

Could you put it in either Google Docs or download it to your computer and upload it here as an attachment? Not everyone has a Live account to view the document with. Smile
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
(09-01-2021, 05:36 AM)rachel83az Wrote:
(09-01-2021, 05:08 AM)debrag Wrote: My plan so far. I kow I most likely will have courses in the wrong places.

Could you put it in either Google Docs or download it to your computer and upload it here as an attachment? Not everyone has a Live account to view the document with. Smile

Sorry didn't realise it did that. I am expecting to not have the correct number of certain credits or levels etc.

Requirements:
120 credits. 30 upper level (21 arts & science, 9 electives), 33 credits in Natural Science - 18 at upper level.

I'm missing the 9 UL electives and have more than needed credits for Natural Science LL. Do the electives have to come from subjects not A&S or NS?

Attached Files
.pdf   college credits.pdf (Size: 125.54 KB / Downloads: 8)
I'm not that knowledgable about Excelsior so I'm not going to be able to help you much with your course allocations. They look okay to me, though. But right off the bat, I do see that you have 4 courses from Saylor. Saylor may be cheaper but we do tend to discourage the use of Saylor because of its downsides. The exams don't always match the content that well and it can take a while for them to actually grant credit after you pass an exam. If you're okay with giving them a shot anyway, that's fine. Otherwise, you should be able to get these credits done at Study.com.

World Geography - Geography 101: Human & Cultural Geography
Software Engineering - Computer Science 307: Software Engineering

But you can also get some more credits from Sophia. BIO-103 (instead of BIO-101, US History I or II (instead of the CLEP), Approaches to Studying Religions (instead of Geography).

I also suspect that the chem & biology you currently intend to take at Saylor would overlap with the courses at SDC. You can't get double credit for taking the same class twice. Might also overlap with the bio I & II classes at UoPeople.

Instead of the American Government CLEP, I would suggest the InstantCert course. It's supposed to be relatively fast and easy, though obviously it won't be free.

Also, instead of English Comp at Davar and UoPeople, you might want to consider the TECEP exams. Davar is $70 + $15 for RPNow. UoPeople is $120. Total cost $205. The TECEPs are $150 each + $50 application fee or $350 total. It'll cost a little more but it'll be completed more quickly because you won't have to take a full UoPeople course.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
(09-01-2021, 06:24 AM)rachel83az Wrote: I'm not that knowledgable about Excelsior so I'm not going to be able to help you much with your course allocations. They look okay to me, though. But right off the bat, I do see that you have 4 courses from Saylor. Saylor may be cheaper but we do tend to discourage the use of Saylor because of its downsides. The exams don't always match the content that well and it can take a while for them to actually grant credit after you pass an exam. If you're okay with giving them a shot anyway, that's fine. Otherwise, you should be able to get these credits done at Study.com.

World Geography - Geography 101: Human & Cultural Geography
Software Engineering - Computer Science 307: Software Engineering

But you can also get some more credits from Sophia. BIO-103 (instead of BIO-101, US History I or II (instead of the CLEP), Approaches to Studying Religions (instead of Geography).

I also suspect that the chem & biology you currently intend to take at Saylor would overlap with the courses at SDC. You can't get double credit for taking the same class twice. Might also overlap with the bio I & II classes at UoPeople.

Instead of the American Government CLEP, I would suggest the InstantCert course. It's supposed to be relatively fast and easy, though obviously it won't be free.

Also, instead of English Comp at Davar and UoPeople, you might want to consider the TECEP exams. Davar is $70 + $15 for RPNow. UoPeople is $120. Total cost $205. The TECEPs are $150 each + $50 application fee or $350 total. It'll cost a little more but it'll be completed more quickly because you won't have to take a full UoPeople course.

Thank you for your input. I am registered with UoPeople for English Comp ll for this term. All my courses with them are free this year for up to 10 courses as I got a scholarship (anyone can get one Wink).

I'm planning of taking these courses throughout the next year. Maybe my Bio l & ll could be used for GedEd (I do have extra NS credits currently planned) and Chem l & ll for Natural Sciences. Study does have Gen Chem, Chem l & Chem ll so maybe 2 of those from there are better than one from saylor.

Been working on some changes. I need a Bio with lab course. I have already taken Intro to Bio + Bio 1 with UoPoeple and plan on doing Bio 2 with them also due to being a prereq for other courses. Will the Study lab courses overlap these courses? I need Bio 111 & Bio 111 lab. Maybe I can do the study course and take another course to replace intro to bio from UoPoeple?
[-] The following 1 user Likes debrag's post:
  • rachel83az

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Excelsior BSLA - Upper Level Credits Robinred2404 7 406 03-18-2024, 09:08 PM
Last Post: Robinred2404
  Degree Planning Advice For Research (Upper Level) Credit Dnightowl 4 510 01-30-2024, 10:46 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Has excelsior accepted CSM math recently? CM1999 6 937 01-11-2024, 10:16 PM
  So disappointed in Excelsior. Should I bail or suck it up for the last class? profstudent 22 5,585 12-06-2023, 02:03 PM
Last Post: SophiaPrincess
  New Change to Enrollment at Excelsior U. -- Not Good milah1 12 1,647 10-20-2023, 12:46 PM
Last Post: frankc
  Overwhelmed with info but excited to start my BA- just a few questions hexclep 12 1,338 08-24-2023, 12:37 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Excelsior University BS in Liberal Arts Upper Credit Transfer Options Niketay 13 2,317 07-05-2023, 10:22 AM
  Need to know what UL credits will work for Liberal Arts degree AnyName 20 3,170 06-25-2023, 11:56 PM
Last Post: Kab
  Excelsior University to Ivey League ----> RichestLiberalArtsMajor 5 1,338 06-06-2023, 09:32 AM
Last Post: IReallyNeedADegree
  OTmina - Excelsior Degree Plan OTmina 28 4,076 05-16-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: OTmina