Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
FEMA & FREE College Credit courses
3 credits with FEMA/FCC - $225

3 credits via CLEP or DSST $100 or less.....

No brainer
I am wondering, based soley on credits from fema, is there any colleges/universities I can degree out of?

Also are the Fema tests still self administered?

Also are there any other "fema" like places that I can take a free or not free course self administered and apply it to college credit.

Also what degrees from what colleges can I get soley from Fema and "fema" like credits? How can this be best done? Thank you.

Sincerely someone completely new to all of this fema and college stuff.
wwfjdraw Wrote:I am wondering, based soley on credits from fema, is there any colleges/universities I can degree out of?

Also are the Fema tests still self administered?

Also are there any other "fema" like places that I can take a free or not free course self administered and apply it to college credit.

Also what degrees from what colleges can I get soley from Fema and "fema" like credits? How can this be best done? Thank you.

Sincerely someone completely new to all of this fema and college stuff.

I am not aware of a college that is offering any degree based soley on FEMA credits. TESC does accept up to 27 credits of FEMA as free electives. Yes the FEMA courses are still self administered.

Other companies that have self administered courses are Straighterline and Aleks, but they are not free.
Thanks. Is there a way to get credit from Straighterline and Aleks too? Or only Fema?

Also I was wondering about these places

NETC (National Emergency Training Center
USFA
UMUC
NVCC
thebackup.com

and do they offer college credit for tests?

And last but not least this something called PLA. From what I understand, its a program that you can use to get credits based on a portfolio of documentation that can or only is based on life experience or other courses completed, free or not free?

If I am correct what do I need to fill this portfolio with to get credits? And from which colleges will take this portfolio and give me this option to get credits from. Is there a place online I can take PLA tests or something to get PLA credits or to build a PLA portfolio? Thanks so much, you guys are the best college resource in the world.
wwfjdraw Wrote:Thanks. Is there a way to get credit from Straighterline and Aleks too? Or only Fema?

Also I was wondering about these places

NETC (National Emergency Training Center
USFA
UMUC
NVCC
thebackup.com

and do they offer college credit for tests?

And last but not least this something called PLA. From what I understand, its a program that you can use to get credits based on a portfolio of documentation that can or only is based on life experience or other courses completed, free or not free?

If I am correct what do I need to fill this portfolio with to get credits? And from which colleges will take this portfolio and give me this option to get credits from. Is there a place online I can take PLA tests or something to get PLA credits or to build a PLA portfolio? Thanks so much, you guys are the best college resource in the world.

Below are links to the two options I mentioned in my earlier post:
both companies have had course approved by ACE ACE | National Guide Online | Browse The Guide for college credits. You will need to check with the college you are interested in enrolling in to see if they accept ACE recommended courses for credit.

Aleks ALEKS -- Assessment and Learning, K-12, Higher Education, Automated Tutor, Math NOTE: Not all Aleks course are ACE reviewed, verify with aleks before enrolling in a course.

Straighterline Online College Courses Distance Learning Courses

PLA/portfolio: You would need to contact the colleges you are interested in enrolling in and ask them about their PLA options. Having received credits via Portfolio, I will say it is a risk. You can do all the work , pay the fee and end up with no credits. There is a lot of work involved in creating a portfolio . And the whole process is very long.

My personal opinion is testing out via clep/dsst/Uxcel/TECEP/ECE's is a better option.
peace123 Wrote:Below are links to the two options I mentioned in my earlier post:
both companies have had course approved by ACE ACE | National Guide Online | Browse The Guide for college credits. You will need to check with the college you are interested in enrolling in to see if they accept ACE recommended courses for credit.

Aleks ALEKS -- Assessment and Learning, K-12, Higher Education, Automated Tutor, Math NOTE: Not all Aleks course are ACE reviewed, verify with aleks before enrolling in a course.

Straighterline Online College Courses Distance Learning Courses

PLA/portfolio: You would need to contact the colleges you are interested in enrolling in and ask them about their PLA options. Having received credits via Portfolio, I will say it is a risk. You can do all the work , pay the fee and end up with no credits. There is a lot of work involved in creating a portfolio . And the whole process is very long.

My personal opinion is testing out via clep/dsst/Uxcel/TECEP/ECE's is a better option.

I second Peace pla comment. It seems like a scam almost because you pay the same amount of money for the credits, take a course to write the damn pla and then its up in the air if you will get the credit. You are better off taking the course, getting the credit and being done with it.
[SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"][SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"][SIZE="4"][SIZE="4"][FONT="Arial Narrow"]"Oh, get a job? Just get a job? Why don't I strap on my job helmet, and squeeze down into a job cannon and fire off into job land, where jobs grow on jobbies!" Its always sunny in Philadelphia.

[SIZE="1"][FONT="Arial Narrow"]tesc credit banked
FEMA IS courses- alot

Aleks completed-many of them

Cleps:Spanish 67

Associates in psychology UOP
TESC BA in psychology[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]

attempting currently
Masters in counseling
peace123 Wrote:I am not aware of a college that is offering any degree based soley on FEMA credits. TESC does accept up to 27 credits of FEMA as free electives. Yes the FEMA courses are still self administered.

Other companies that have self administered courses are Straighterline and Aleks, but they are not free.

You can get a degree in Emergency Disaster Services using FEMA credits. They allow you to use 15 towards your major and then the rest as free electives. It's a great degree to get, but only if you're wanting to work in the field and you have prior experience. You have to prove that you've had x amount of hours in the field as a volunteer or paid employee.

You can also get credit from some NFA (National Fire Academy) classes. Look at this post and this one might be helpful too
~Autumn

Master of Arts - Emergency and Disaster Management - Estimated Completion 2014
Bachelor of Science Human Services in Emergency Disaster Services - TESC- December 2009
Culinary Arts Certificate - Boise State University 2002

Education teaches a man to spell experience.Big Grin
Does anyone have an updated list of the FEMA's that TESC accepts? I saw the other older post, but didn't know if any of it has changed. I'm not enrolled at TESC but plan to get my degree through them. Maybe they have on their website, but I couldn't find it.
Also, are there other certifications other then the PDS? That would be really cool to have Smile I've only looked this stuff up a little but didn't find anything yet.
Thanks for the advice, but besides the nursing courses found here Free Online Courses - DegreeInfo Distance Learning - online degree forum, and the aimes, and fema, and the csi casio, does anyone know of any more courses free or even not free that are self administered, that offer college credit?

I know this probably sounds crazy, but I want to earn a degree soley (or as close as possible) on courses that are self administered.

I'm also unsure of any colleges that would let me do this.

Other then the hopes of TESC, Excelsior, Charter Oak.

Also wasn't there another college or universities on here once that was going to be considered in changing the big three to the big four? Another institution with distance learning that you can earn a degree from testing out and stuff?

And if one of the big three (or four) don't accept credit from all the courses in the world that offer college credit, then I assume I could just trasfer credit from these sort of courses to another college and then transfer it to one of the big three (or four, who ever that institution was)? Can someone therefore tell me which one of the big three is best for this?

I was thinking TESC since they seem to just be great in general regarding credits (other then their reputation for horrible customer service that is).

A few courses I already know about that offer college credit besides the ones I mentioned above are also

Aleks, straighterline, thebackup.com,

(Also courses mentioned on this page here)
How to Find Free College Courses Online | eHow.com

http://www.padi.com/padi/en/footerlinks/...tsace.aspx
(scuba diving, courses for credit ace recognized)

Free Online College Courses
(they offer free courses online and even admit on the site that you can write down the courses you take online for free into a portfolio and submit it as pla or life experience,)(it seems that even the PLA assessment option through them is free for non students) I will try this and let everyone know what happens. Perhaps I can earn credits through this life experience and transfer them to a RA college.

Free Online Psychical Courses
(I still don’t know if I can get any actual credits to transfer from this college to another, although it does say on the site “Courses vary in credit hours”.) Am I to assume that there are credits that can be transferred here and there to whoever will take them?

Universities with the Best Free Online Courses
This is a list of free courses online, however I have no idea if there is any college credit for these? Or if there is anyway to get a transcript to apply for credits if I were to show a college my completed courses. However until I know, I will go through the courses, and mention them for any PLA portfolios.

University of Washington CME: Online Courses
They currently at this time only offer 1 free accredited course for 3 credits in medical. Ofcourse you have to pay for the credits, but they are cheap, and if it’s a selfgraded course, you really can’t fail.

Also if take a course at TESC then whatever that grade is, is your GPA when combined with credits.

So lets say you transferred over 117 credits from another source like fema and other courses somehow and then you applied those credits to the hardest courses you could, and took the easiest course you could, and you got an A, then you graduate with a 4.0.

Can someone please share some wealth of information on everything I've said. Thank you.
rossatkinson Wrote:Does anyone have an updated list of the FEMA's that TESC accepts? I saw the other older post, but didn't know if any of it has changed. I'm not enrolled at TESC but plan to get my degree through them. Maybe they have on their website, but I couldn't find it.
Also, are there other certifications other then the PDS? That would be really cool to have Smile I've only looked this stuff up a little but didn't find anything yet.

I've attached the list that TESC gave me about 6 months ago. I highly doubt that they have updated the list since then. Hope that helps. Smile

Attached Files
.doc   Less than 1 minute ago">FEMA INDEPENDENT STUDY COURSE.doc (Size: 75.5 KB / Downloads: 119)
~Autumn

Master of Arts - Emergency and Disaster Management - Estimated Completion 2014
Bachelor of Science Human Services in Emergency Disaster Services - TESC- December 2009
Culinary Arts Certificate - Boise State University 2002

Education teaches a man to spell experience.Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ASU 100 Million Learners - All graduate courses now available jg_nuy 28 2,518 03-22-2024, 08:29 PM
Last Post: KagomeH
  Accounting courses from CPACredits.com/Upper Iowa University inor 22 1,545 03-15-2024, 05:30 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
Lightbulb ASU to Launch a Free Global Initiative and enroll 100 million students MNomadic 203 28,660 03-11-2024, 10:55 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Is online college easier now? Vle045 21 1,089 02-26-2024, 10:47 PM
Last Post: Vle045
  People Who Regret Their College Majors Are Sharing What Their Major Was LevelUP 22 1,348 02-26-2024, 07:34 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Study.com --- courses midnite123 9 697 02-24-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: EE-AE-Engineer
  Diné College: $55 Credit Hour, $660 Full Time (12+ credits) Ares 19 1,721 02-23-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  The Rechtschaffen Institute of Judaic Studies (Has anyone taken one of these courses? patsfand 1 754 02-22-2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: vetvso
  Free or affordable Christian Chaplaincy Online Sowak777 4 366 02-21-2024, 06:39 AM
Last Post: The need 2 learn
  Verified College Credit Transfers TINASAM 0 196 02-19-2024, 04:16 PM
Last Post: TINASAM