Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Federal Income Taxation TECEP Advice
Hey y'all!

I have read through all the threads I could find for any and all advice on this TECEP. There is a good amount of info, however a bunch is from 4+ years ago.
I am taking this one next week and just wanted to see if anyone has any recent/additional advice?

Thanks!
BSBA GM - TESU, 2017
120 credits applied using CLEP, DSST, Saylor, and TECEP exams - see my bio for exact exams!
Anyone?
I have two Teceps standing between me and graduation
pandas4eva Wrote:Hey y'all!

I have read through all the threads I could find for any and all advice on this TECEP. There is a good amount of info, however a bunch is from 4+ years ago.
I am taking this one next week and just wanted to see if anyone has any recent/additional advice?

Thanks!

Hello Have you taken this exam yet? If so how did you do and can you provide any feedback. I am planning this exam shortly after the Capstone TECEP.
Thomas Edison State University - BSBA: Accounting - September 2017

B&M: Stats, Business Law I, Microeconomics, Business Comm, Computer Concepts and Apps, Financial Accounting, Intermediate Accounting II, Managerial Accounting, Not-for-Profit Accounting
CLEP: Sociology, Psychology, Marketing, College Comp Modular, Human Growth and Development
Institutes: Ethics 312
Aleks: Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, PreCalculus
Shmoop: U.S. History I, U.S. History II, Modern European History
Study.com: Principles of Finance, Advanced Accounting I, Applied Managerial Accounting, American Government, Macroeconomics, Principles of Management, Globalization and International Management, English Composition II, Intro to Computing, Public Speaking, Info Systems and Comp Apps
SL: Intermediate Accounting I, Introduction to Religon, Cost Accounting, Western Civilization I/II
TECEP: Strategic Management, Federal Income Tax
Synicaal Wrote:Hello Have you taken this exam yet? If so how did you do and can you provide any feedback. I am planning this exam shortly after the Capstone TECEP.

Me three. Anyone have any updated intel on this exam? I am trying to decide if this is the easier of the other choices for a finance(?) requirement.
TESU Commencement - Saturday, September 23, 2017!

Goal: TESU, BSBA General Management by September 2017
68/120 credits completed
In Progress This Month
Prin of Mgmt, Org Behavior, Bus Law, Prin of Fin (DSST)

November 2016
TESU Info Session (waived app fee + free breakfast)
Previous B&M - 45 cr. transferred
March 2017
Aleks - Intermediate Alg, College Alg, Intro to Stats
Institutes - Ethics
Guardian Scholarship Awarded 3/23/17
April 2017
Study.com - Personal Finance, Digital Marketing & Advertising
May 2017
World Religions, Pr. of Marketing
I haven't taken this yet, but I plan on taking it at the end of April. I will be studying using this course: https://www.udemy.com/taxaccounting/learn/v4/content and these books: https://www.amazon.com/J-K-Lassers-Your-...accounting, https://www.amazon.com/Taxes-Made-Simple...accounting

It would be nice to know how difficult/easy the exam is though, so hopefully someone who has taken it already will reply to this thread.
I am getting prepped to take this within the next week. The practice questions were really limited. I found this https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-utl/samplertrpquestions.pdf I'm not sure that it will be exactly aligned with the test material but it did allow me to test my search skills of the text I will use for the exam and to know its limitations.
I know we can have our books but can we use a calculator? What about scratch paper? Good Luck! Please report back if you get to this TECEP before I do!
I took this TECEP two weeks ago, and I still haven't received my score back yet, so no idea if I passed. However, I took these notes right after while it was fresh in my mind.

First off: All of the feedback posted in the Specific Exam thread is SPOT ON. Seriously.

I wouldn’t just waltz into this with a tax guide and hope for the best. I spent about 3 months doing off and on reading any IRS publication and form that I thought might end up on the exam. Looking back, I spent too much time worrying about how difficult it would be that I wasted time when I could have just gotten it over with sooner. However, some of the things I noticed in other publications and forms was on the test and not in the tax guide.

I brought in my Tax Guide (Pub. 17) and the J.K. Lasser’s Your Income Tax 2017, as well as a financial calculator (but a 4-function one would do just fine). I had also collected a boatload of other publications and forms from the IRS that I thought might be handy to have, like Form 1040 and Instructions, Schedules A-D, Pub. 541 and 542, etc. I figured that I wouldn’t be allowed to keep them, but thought what the heck. My proctor (via ProctorU) didn’t even look at them. Having Schedule A was SUPER helpful, because at least 2 of the problems involved itemized deductions. I also used the 1040 a lot. The test is mostly about individuals, but as the test description says, 15% is on partnerships and corporations. On my test, I had a 10-point computational one on figuring a partner’s interest basis. I was completely lost! The problem was from the partnership point-of-view, not the individual’s. I couldn’t even find an explanation in Pub. 541 (Partnerships) that gave enough detail to figure it out. I honestly don’t know how they could expect someone with just a tax guide (for individuals, mind you) to solve this one! But I digress… I think the hardest part of this test is just knowing where to look in the tax guide for the answer to the question. I had gone through the tabbed the heck out of my books (particularly focusing on the items mentioned in the specific exam thread. TIP: tab where to find the child tax credit, as well as realized and recognized gains), and that really saved me time in the end. I actually finished with 30 minutes to spare!

Long story short, learn all the terms on the specific exam thread inside and out, tab your tax guide, and git ‘er done!

Hope this helps y'all! Good luck!
BSBA GM - TESU, 2017
120 credits applied using CLEP, DSST, Saylor, and TECEP exams - see my bio for exact exams!
You may want to check out Pass Keys Enrolled Agent exam study guide for part one which covers individual taxes. It comes with chapter quizzes and exams at the end of the book. This is what I plan on using to study for my exam when I take it.
Associate in Arts - University of the State of New York / 1989
Undergraduate certificate in marketing, Ashworth College.

BSLS Excelsior college in progress. 6 classes to go
MD_AJIBULU Wrote:Me three. Anyone have any updated intel on this exam? I am trying to decide if this is the easier of the other choices for a finance(?) requirement.

This will not meet the finance Requirement, this is an Accounting Course. ACC-421. Not sure if they will use it as a FIN course. Someone else can verify this or ask TESU.

@pandas4eva - please let me and the rest of the forum know how you did. I think I am going to stick with my original plan with this TECEP and just sticky note my tax book and just go take it. I feel like if I focus right on the 10point questions first and then work my way back I will be good to go with little issues.
Thomas Edison State University - BSBA: Accounting - September 2017

B&M: Stats, Business Law I, Microeconomics, Business Comm, Computer Concepts and Apps, Financial Accounting, Intermediate Accounting II, Managerial Accounting, Not-for-Profit Accounting
CLEP: Sociology, Psychology, Marketing, College Comp Modular, Human Growth and Development
Institutes: Ethics 312
Aleks: Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, PreCalculus
Shmoop: U.S. History I, U.S. History II, Modern European History
Study.com: Principles of Finance, Advanced Accounting I, Applied Managerial Accounting, American Government, Macroeconomics, Principles of Management, Globalization and International Management, English Composition II, Intro to Computing, Public Speaking, Info Systems and Comp Apps
SL: Intermediate Accounting I, Introduction to Religon, Cost Accounting, Western Civilization I/II
TECEP: Strategic Management, Federal Income Tax
Synicaal Wrote:I feel like if I focus right on the 10point questions first and then work my way back I will be good to go with little issues.

The way TECEPs are set up, they are separated into "sections." You must work on one section at a time, and you cannot skip between sections. Once you have completed and submitted a section, you cannot go back to it.

The Federal Income Taxation TECEP has 5 sections:
1- 20 multiple choice
2- Four 5point computational problems
3- Three 6/8point computational problems
4- Two 10point computational/matching problems
5- Two 10point computational problems

Be prepared to work through the exam in this order!
BSBA GM - TESU, 2017

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Technical Writing TECEP - My Experience PreLawCoastie 2 696 03-14-2024, 04:31 PM
Last Post: PreLawCoastie
  Public Speaking TECEP PreLawCoastie 0 211 02-27-2024, 07:23 AM
Last Post: PreLawCoastie
  CLEP Spanish advice? Stanislav 8 570 01-31-2024, 08:52 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  TECEP FIN-3210 Security Analysis & Portfolio Management fmsoa 2 480 01-18-2024, 04:42 PM
Last Post: CFPhopeful
  TECEP Admissions/Rate my sanity PreLawCoastie 10 993 01-11-2024, 06:05 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Abnormal Psychology TECEP is now available on InstantCert! sgloer 0 290 01-04-2024, 12:27 PM
Last Post: sgloer
  Managerial Comm TECEP saraholson 7 1,677 12-15-2023, 01:23 PM
Last Post: Dosada
  TECEP Federal Income Taxation Kones 9 905 12-13-2023, 09:23 PM
Last Post: Kones
  Help - how to register for TECEP exam? Carnation 4 364 11-23-2023, 10:10 AM
Last Post: Carnation
  Learning in the Digital Age TECEP Avidreader 0 239 11-22-2023, 11:53 AM
Last Post: Avidreader