Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Finally received my TESC trans. evaluation? Switch from BSBA Accounting to Finance?
I agree, PLA should be a very good option for you. If cost is not too much of a concern, I would suggest doing accounting PLAs and supplementing with other accounting courses if necessary to get a BSBA in accounting, or taking finance PLAs and supplementing with the finance TECEPs to get a finance BSBA. If you plan to use PLAs for accounting, first check whether thay can apply toward the required courses for the CPA. IF traditional courses instead of PLA are required to satisfy the CPA requirements, it may be better to take courses for accounting, and use the PLAs for other subjects such as finance (or take exams instead). Check your options to see which area/concentration would be best for you, and then focus on those courses/PLAs. If you decide to do General Managment instead of either specialization, exams are available and would be better and less expensive options than courses or PLAs.
[SIZE="1"]BSBA in Accounting at TESC - Done! :hurray:
Started June 2009 with zero credits, now have 133!

CLEP:
English Literature - 67, Chemistry - 60, Microeconomics - 69, Macroeconomics - 77, U.S. History I - 68, U.S. History II - 64, American Government - 64, Humanities - 68, College Algebra - 64, English Composition - 56, Financial Accounting - 80 Smile, Principles of Management - 74, Intro. Business Law - 73, Principles of Marketing - 79, Info. Systems & Computer Applications - 77

DSST:
Introduction to Business - 446, Human/Cultural Geography - 69, Personal Finance - 463, Principles of Supervision - 443, Organizational Behavior - 76, Human Resource Management - 77, Business Ethics and Society - 468, Principles of Finance - 471, Management Information Systems - 447, Money and Banking - 73

TECEP:
Financial Institutions and Markets, Federal Income Taxation, Strategic Management

Straighterline Course:
Business Communication
[/SIZE]
You guys are awesome, next time you are all in my area the pizza is on me!

I'm going to take the advice and call Todd at TESC to get his info on the PLA. I think you are correct in that they are revamping it come July 1st, and most likely to my advantage as far as cost and course credit. I will get the details from him and post back here.
I was able to get details of the TESC PLA program. They are indeed changing it effective July 1st.

They will be offering two new courses; PLA-100 and PLA-200. PLA-100, as I was told, is a course designed to help you learn the many ways to earn credit by examination, portfolio assessment, etc. This is a four week course where you earn one credit with a letter grade.

PLA-200 is an introduction to portfolio development course. It is an eight week course for two credits and a letter grade. For the first 12 credits earned the fee is $350 and $200 for each additional 6 credits. So it sounds like a large number of credits can be earned through the fees. For example, $550 isn't bad for 18 credits. The credits earned by PLA are given a letter grade of "Cr". Upper level credits can also be earned through PLA.

I am interested in this approach but I don't know if it will be enough to satisfy all my degree requirements, but it may be worth a try. I am also going to compare the costs with Learning Counts.
AZDan, thanks for tracking down real facts. As was rumored you have confirmed that TESC will have a new way to earn lower cost PLA credits beginnning July 1 - more details of course to follow when published.

But did you get any confirmation or denial that TESC would accept credits evaluated at Learning Counts?
Here is a comparison of the remaining courses I need to complete either of the two degree programs. I'd like to know if anyone has a degree plan where I can test out of these with the source and name of the equivalent course acceptable to TESC for these classes. For example, I have no idea what DSST or CLEP courses are acceptable to transfer to the Humanities classes I need. I already looked up a couple of classes and found sources for testing such as TECEP for ENC-102. Can anyone help with the others?

Accounting - 70 Credits Remaining
ENC-102
MAN-373
Humanities - 1 Class
ECO-112
Principles of Statistics
General Education - 13 Credits
ACC-101
ACC-102
CIS - 3 Credits
Intro Marktng- 1 Class
Bus in Soc/Int'l Mgt - 1 Class
Strategic Mgt - 1 Class
Acct Specialization - 12 SH
ACC-201
ACC-202
Acctng Electives - 12 Credits
Business Electives - 9 SH

Finance - 61 Credits Remaining
ENC-102
MAN-373
Humanities - 1 Class
ECO-112
Principles of Statistics
Gen Ed - 13 Credits
ACC-101
ACC-102
CIS- 3 Credits
Intro Mrktng - 1 Class
Bus in Soc/Int'l Mgt - 1 Class
Strategic Mgt - 1 Class
Finance Specialization - 18 SH
Business Electives - 9 SH
JohnnyHeck Wrote:AZDan, thanks for tracking down real facts. As was rumored you have confirmed that TESC will have a new way to earn lower cost PLA credits beginnning July 1 - more details of course to follow when published.

But did you get any confirmation or denial that TESC would accept credits evaluated at Learning Counts?

Yes, I communicated with Todd as you recommended and he said that they accept Learning Counts but said their courses are specifically designed for their PLA assessments and recommends their own.
If you do some searching on this forum you will find your answers to equivalencies.
Try going to Google and typing in this
site:degreeforum.net tesc equivalencies

Google is the best way to search for posts on degreeforum in my experience. Especially when you don't know who posted it or in what forum.

Forget about PLAs for anything you can CLEP/DSST. Since you have so many credits to pick up I'd concentrate on knocking out as many CLEP/DSST exams as you can in the next few weeks. It is reasonable to do one per week.
BSBA CIS from TESC, BA Natural Science/Math from TESC
MBA Applied Computer Science from NCU
Enrolled at NCU in the PhD Applied Computer Science
Interesting. LearningCounts is still cheaper, but getting a letter grade for the PLA course is nice. I don't think most people on this forum would need PLA-100.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New TESU evaluation and Shmoop equivalencies badooble 42 14,835 09-13-2018, 11:35 PM
Last Post: Supermind
  BSBA in Finance Degree Plan from TESU UnbreakablyDetermined 2 2,794 08-30-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Luiscastaneda25
Thumbs Up TESU BSBA spreadsheet - request for feedback mykal335i 4 2,056 08-30-2018, 10:58 PM
Last Post: mykal335i
  TESU received my DSST transcript - do I need to do anything? Kelly Green 8 2,336 08-29-2018, 12:02 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU - BSBA HR spreadsheet? UL AOS credit suggestions allvia 7 2,698 08-12-2018, 07:47 PM
Last Post: Jimmy999
  Finance by test out clarkin16 5 1,875 08-10-2018, 12:37 AM
  TESU BSBA GM Completion Timeline dexter1326 9 2,299 08-07-2018, 09:23 PM
  Help planning a TESU BSBA degree plan kietro 11 5,046 08-03-2018, 12:39 PM
Last Post: kietro
  BSBA Gen Management TESU or Accounting Help LoanGunman 2 1,516 08-03-2018, 09:32 AM
Last Post: LoanGunman
  Intro + Degree advice, looking at TESU for multiple degrees, BSBA + BSAST coloradocale 14 4,179 08-02-2018, 08:53 PM
Last Post: coloradocale