Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
First Term Free at Walden!
We don't know for sure if this will be available in March, do we? It has been in Dec, Jan, and now Feb, but they could stop anytime.
Working on TESU BA CompSci/English, but may not graduate until Sept, Dec, or later.
TESU BSBA (with ASNSM) in March 2018.
First Masters complete. Slowly working on a second Masters but may start a different program.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Ideas's post:
  • eriehiker
(Yesterday, 08:50 PM)eriehiker Wrote: Hi acamp!

Each term is three months. I would recommend skipping February because you get screwed with the short month. March would be a good start month.

My experience is that there is no limit to the number of credits that you can take per term. The system does gatekeep a bit. They only let me have like three classes live at any one moment, so I try to pick smaller ones that I can finish in a day with the competencies with the eight or ten page papers.

The first term is still free. One thing to think about is that they also offer a graduate certificate in early childhood administration with the first term free offer. I think that the grad. cert. really can be completed within a single term, so that might be a great option for some people. I have completed seven competencies so far and I am expecting some transfer credit, so I might just go for the grad. cert.

https://www.waldenu.edu/online-certifica...ency-based

Note: There is also an applied project management graduate certificate with the first term free:

https://www.waldenu.edu/online-certifica...ency-based

https://www.waldenu.edu/financial-aid/li...me-savings

Scroll all the way to bottom.

@eriehiker - thanks for all the info and links! Are you pursuing the the administration track for the masters in early childhood?

And you said you completed 7 competencies. Correct me if I’m wrong, but it looks like that specific admin track for education has around 30 or so competencies/classes, right?

For each competency, are they the same layout for the most part? Can you give me an overview on what is required to pass each competency in regards to papers, exams, quizzes, etc?

Thank YOU again!
Yes. That is what I am doing. You are correct. It is about 30. The graduate certificate is 16 competencies and you get about 90 days. Even if you run into a second term, it is $1750 on the master's degree, that is really pretty good for a master's degree.

My initial interest in the program was to get enough ed. leadership classes to apply for an administrative certificate in New Jersey and transfer it via reciprocity to Michigan/Wisconsin. Things are going well and I am definitely going to go for the grad. cert. and if I get enough transfer credit, maybe I'll go for the second master's.

BTW, a person can transfer in 6 credits for the certs and 15 or 16 for the master's.
University of Michigan, 1997, BA Ed.; Teaching Certificate: Major: English/Minor: Social Sciences
Marygrove College, 2003, MAT
TESU, 2018 BSBA: Accounting/CIS; ASNSM: Math/Comp. Sci.; Certs: Finance, Org. Lead., Ops. Man., Marketing
University of Colorado, Colorado Springs, 2018 Grad. Cert.: Economics Education
[-] The following 2 users Like eriehiker's post:
  • acamp, Ideas
(Yesterday, 11:01 PM)eriehiker Wrote: Yes.  That is what I am doing.  You are correct.  It is about 30.  The graduate certificate is 16 competencies and you get about 90 days.  Even if you run into a second term, it is $1750 on the master's degree, that is really pretty good for a master's degree.

My initial interest in the program was to get enough ed. leadership classes to apply for an administrative certificate in New Jersey and transfer it via reciprocity to Michigan/Wisconsin.  Things are going well and I am definitely going to go for the grad. cert. and if I get enough transfer credit, maybe I'll go for the second master's.

BTW, a person can transfer in 6 credits for the certs and 15 or 16 for the master's.

It looks like most of their grad certs are 9 credits and their master's degrees are ~30 credits. Does that mean you can transfer in 2/3 of a given cert and 50% of the master's degree?

I also find it interesting that their certs appear to be 9 credits but each 3 credit course consists of 3 to 5 competencies each. Does that mean there are 3-5 different papers/exams per course?

Unfortunately, I don't think I have any interest in the Tempo Learning master's degree programs. However, if I can complete a grad cert in a single term with the first term waived, that Tempo Learning Applied Project Management certificate might be worth considering.

Too bad Walden doesn't offer a competency-based masters-level Computer Science or Software Development degree. Now that I could get behind. (Yes, I know NAU has a competency-based MCIT with a specialization in web & mobile development, but that isn't really the same thing.)
Working On: BSBA Capstone @ TESU – Complete! (waiting on final grade)
Up Next: MBA ITM @ WGU; also considering OMSCS @ GA Tech or PhD @ EBS Heriot-Watt

BSBA in Computer Information Systems @ TESU (118.68 of 120 SH done, graduate March 2019)
ASNSM in Computer Science @ TESU (complete, graduate March 2019)

B&M CC: 8.68cr, CLEP/DSST: 15cr, Study.com: 57cr, Straighterline: 19cr, ALEKS: 9cr, TEEX: 6cr, The Institutes: 2cr, Sophia: 2cr
(Earned 92 credits over 10 months, Jan-Oct '18)
(Yesterday, 11:01 PM)eriehiker Wrote: Yes. That is what I am doing. You are correct. It is about 30. The graduate certificate is 16 competencies and you get about 90 days. Even if you run into a second term, it is $1750 on the master's degree, that is really pretty good for a master's degree.

My initial interest in the program was to get enough ed. leadership classes to apply for an administrative certificate in New Jersey and transfer it via reciprocity to Michigan/Wisconsin. Things are going well and I am definitely going to go for the grad. cert. and if I get enough transfer credit, maybe I'll go for the second master's.

@eriehiker - thanks for the info. Just a few followup questions if you don’t mind:

1) will that specific masters program (admin specialization) give you enough credits to apply for the NJ admin cert by itself? Or do you have previous credits already earned from other colleges that will help get the admin cert credit requirements?

2) since you teach full-time and have a family, how many hours/days does each competency take you to complete?

3) could you give me a general overview on how each competency is structured in regards to grading with amount of papers, tests, quizzes, posts, etc?

Thank you! Hope you have the day off today from school (many schools are getting rid of today’s holiday it seems)
@merlin If I had to put my money on it, I think WGU will be the first to have a competency-based comp sci master. Personally, now that I will have a bachelor in comp sci from TESU, I'm rethinking getting an MCIT. I am looking back at MBA's, funny how time erases memory...

Unfortunately, Walden only offers this to US residents so I can't get get the free term. As far as I know, all you can eat free grad credits is unheard of. I would not bet this offer will come back any time soon, from anyone.
NAU Master of Computer Information Technology, (Accepted) Expected?
TESU BACS, Expected 2019
----
TESU BSBA, 2018.
TESU ASNSM in Computer Science, 2018.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Walden U - MHA - Start date 12/3 Accountability and Experience GoodYellowDogs 12 643 01-02-2019, 06:19 PM
Last Post: GoodYellowDogs
  Walden ePortfolio SweetSecret 4 169 12-17-2018, 04:29 PM
Last Post: GoodYellowDogs
  Walden University - Competency Based MBA Program allvia 18 742 12-09-2018, 05:36 PM
Last Post: videogamesrock
  Starting WGU MBA November Term, Goal: 6 months amilitab4k9 15 934 11-06-2018, 05:55 PM
Last Post: amilitab4k9
  Charles Sturt Univ.: 40 Free On-Demand Short Courses: Grad Credit? eriehiker 1 388 09-29-2018, 03:51 AM
Last Post: Dowew
  New York University offers free Tuition to all Medical Students Nightmoves5 9 556 08-26-2018, 08:24 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Smart.ly MBA (free - kind of) rachel83az 9 805 03-17-2018, 07:05 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  WGU MBA in one term kalishakti 8 2,998 10-08-2017, 10:56 AM
Last Post: cookderosa
  Walden University Masters in Education review? frostedfire 2 686 03-27-2017, 10:08 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Free Graduate Courses from Our Friends at TAMUC KayV 3 627 03-18-2017, 09:30 AM
Last Post: KayV