Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
First Term Free at Walden!
Doing the OMS CySec courses non-self paced is killing me. There's no reason watching a few lectures and reading a chapter or two should take a week.

CBE has completely spoiled me.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 1 user Likes jsd's post:
  • quigongene
When I started doing actual courses I was shocked how slow moving they were. It's much easier when I have alternative credits to work on on the side though, which I guess won't really be an option for grad school...
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
I agree with all your sentiments on self paced and competency based education. My last few courses at TESU are becoming a real drag! Hoping to find something self paced in my field for grad school.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
(01-22-2019, 11:59 PM)mysonx3 Wrote: When I started doing actual courses I was shocked how slow moving they were. It's much easier when I have alternative credits to work on on the side though, which I guess won't really be an option for grad school...

I've been doing alt credits for a second undergrad degree. I think that only helps a little. The grad degree is still so slow.

(01-22-2019, 11:46 PM)jsd Wrote: Doing the OMS CySec courses non-self paced is killing me. There's no reason watching a few lectures and reading a chapter or two should take a week.

CBE has completely spoiled me.

Me too. The options for competency Masters degrees are too limited Sad 

Even when more schools start offering CBE, they're likely to do the popular programs (MBAs, teaching, general IT).

(01-22-2019, 05:45 PM)Merlin Wrote: ... I'd rather focus on one, finish it, and then move on to the next. If I take one course at a time with 12-week courses, it will take several years to finish since courses are only offered in spring and fall; at two courses per year, it would take five years to finish... which is also not happening. To get it done in two years I'd have to take at least five courses per year spread between the two terms.

There's a summer term as well, so you can get the 30 credits done in three years plus one term, doing one course at a time.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
(01-23-2019, 01:31 AM)davewill Wrote:
(01-22-2019, 05:45 PM)Merlin Wrote: ... I'd rather focus on one, finish it, and then move on to the next. If I take one course at a time with 12-week courses, it will take several years to finish since courses are only offered in spring and fall; at two courses per year, it would take five years to finish... which is also not happening. To get it done in two years I'd have to take at least five courses per year spread between the two terms.

There's a summer term as well, so you can get the 30 credits done in three years plus one term, doing one course at a time.

Hmm, when I was on the site it said something about only offering classes in spring and fall terms, no summer option. But maybe that was just for starting the program?

Even with 3 terms per year, yeah that is more than 3 years to finish the program, plus however long after that before graduation is confirmed and degrees awarded. That just seems unbearably long, and I'd be miserable the whole time I bet. Sad Now, if I needed the degree to fill out my resume, then 3 years might be worth it.

If I did it, I might need to take a page out of Ideas book and work on another competency-based degree elsewhere at the same time. That would still require task switching, but it would be short term, and I'd at least feel like I was making progress. Smile

Anyway, once Walden, WGU, NAU, or some other college opens up a competency-based masters in CS, this won't be as big of a deal anymore. I have 30 years of hands-on CS experience, so I'm pretty sure I could blow through a CS program pretty quickly given the opportunity to do so.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
I could probably finish all my 16-week University of Florida courses in one month, but I'd rather deal with the slow pace than do a bunch of busy work. I don't know if it's because I'm in a science program, but there are virtually no long papers. I think the longest paper I've had to write so far was five to seven pages. Most people in the real world are not writing 15 to 20-page literature reviews, which is what long papers in college usually are. That's good preparation for a PhD program, but not non-academic work unless you're a journalist, grant writer, etc.

Short answer and essay exams should be enough to test the understanding of the material. Multiple choice, fill-in-the-blank, and true/false are enough to test memorization. I will likely never complete a competency-based master's program in STEM due to the amount of unnecessary writing, but I think this is a feature of non-traditional schools, in general. I've found that non-traditional schools tend to require more writing, and I think it's to give the illusion of being more rigorous.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
Okay, so I have six competencies in the bank on the transcript with one fully-completed class, credits and grade on the transcript. I have three additional competencies complete and turned in. I'm currently working on three competencies, but I am half way to the graduate certificate in early childhood administration without any transfer credit. I think that I'll get at least one of the classes in transfer and maybe two, so I think that I am in good shape with 36 days left.

One thing that I will say - the professors are pretty good. I am working on a budgeting/grant writing series of competencies and the professor is an associate professor at Boise State. Pretty good quality for the price - free and/or $1750. There is A LOT of writing, so if you don't like to write, don't do this program.
[-] The following 3 users Like eriehiker's post:
  • allvia, hsfamfun, Life_One
I'm out.  I have nothing bad to say about Walden, or their MBA Project Management competency-based Tempo program itself.

I've come to learn that the MBA subjects other than the Project Management topics for me...well, I've just had enough of them through the process of earning my BSBA (I'm burnt out on Business Admin).  I'm going to put my master's money towards a degree related to IT (my first love) and work on preparing for the PMP on my own.  I also may have jumped into a master's too soon (I started 7 days before my bachelor's had even conferred).   I'm going to take a short break from school - a few months to a year off.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

[-] The following 3 users Like allvia's post:
  • eriehiker, mvk, quigongene
(02-04-2019, 02:29 PM)allvia Wrote: I'm out.  I have nothing bad to say about Walden, or their MBA Project Management competency-based Tempo program itself.

I've come to learn that the MBA subjects other than the Project Management topics for me...well, I've just had enough of them through the process of earning my BSBA (I'm burnt out on Business Admin).  I'm going to put my master's money towards a degree related to IT (my first love) and work on preparing for the PMP on my own.  I also may have jumped into a master's too soon (I started 7 days before my bachelor's had even conferred).   I'm going to take a short break from school - a few months to a year off.

You're not alone. I thought about an MBA years ago, but I knew I would be too bored to get through it.

Does anyone study business administration because it's interesting? I guess there's someone out there.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Graduate Discounts (ENEB, Walden, etc) ashkir 24 21,064 Yesterday, 01:03 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  MIT University just released free online courses. KSoul 0 414 02-14-2024, 04:33 AM
Last Post: KSoul
  List of free graduate credit udi 15 7,613 01-26-2024, 09:16 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Walden university richlyblessed 7 1,346 01-02-2024, 09:30 PM
  Any Online Free Master Degree? JesterRigid 15 5,426 09-07-2023, 06:12 PM
Last Post: nykorn
  Chaminade University - Ed.S School Psychology program (Not online, but it's FREE !) nyvrem 9 1,203 09-02-2023, 04:19 AM
Last Post: GameSlinger
  Low Cost / Free online Masters programs from Germany nyvrem 32 11,442 07-30-2023, 03:38 AM
  MBA Programs Walden vs WGU vs Capella blahblahblah88 6 1,447 07-08-2023, 05:10 AM
Last Post: EverSpinning
  Study MSc in Environmental Management for free with the Open University UK HVzR5 3 691 05-13-2023, 02:53 PM
Last Post: HVzR5
  would like to talk to anyone who has taken walden university classes (graduate) TINASAM 8 1,429 05-06-2023, 09:46 AM
Last Post: TINASAM