Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Found: $1,500 (TOTAL) At-own-pace Law School
(02-09-2019, 01:59 PM)Ideas Wrote:
(02-09-2019, 10:13 AM)jsd Wrote: Don't forget that the first year dropout rates of those non-ABA schools are a whopping 90%. So the actual bar pass rate is something around 0.22% when you account for them (I did the numbers a few years back in this thread above). Slobodon has passed this benchmark, though, at least.

I saw a documentary about this about 20 years ago. Basically, schools were being somewhat unethical by accepting practically anyone. Many have no idea about the difficulty. I think they were accepting people who had barely passed college courses.

Yep, however, I really like the idea of a meritocracy. It's the principle that community colleges operate under, and you'll see completion rates in the single digits- but that's only a problem if you think people "should" be completing..... which may be a flawed assumption.
I mean really, how many people who bought gym memberships last month are still attending? People are people, and strong follow through is an exceptionally rare quality in people.
Jennifer
10-year member

MS Applied Nutrition, 2014 Canisius College, NY
Premed/Prenursing Sciences, 2011 Ocean County College, NJ
BA Social Science, 2008 Thomas Edison State University, NJ
AA General Studies, 2008 Thomas Edison State University, NJ
AOS Culinary Arts,1990 Culinary Institute of America, NY

Homeschooling for College Credit Book
Homeschooling for College Credit Blog
(02-09-2019, 10:59 PM)cookderosa Wrote:
(02-09-2019, 01:59 PM)Ideas Wrote:
(02-09-2019, 10:13 AM)jsd Wrote: Don't forget that the first year dropout rates of those non-ABA schools are a whopping 90%. So the actual bar pass rate is something around 0.22% when you account for them (I did the numbers a few years back in this thread above). Slobodon has passed this benchmark, though, at least.

I saw a documentary about this about 20 years ago. Basically, schools were being somewhat unethical by accepting practically anyone. Many have no idea about the difficulty. I think they were accepting people who had barely passed college courses.

Yep, however, I really like the idea of a meritocracy.  It's the principle that community colleges operate under, and you'll see completion rates in the single digits- but that's only a problem if you think people "should" be completing..... which may be a flawed assumption.  
I mean really, how many people who bought gym memberships last month are still attending?  People are people, and strong follow through is an exceptionally rare quality in people.
I prefer the level playing field of easy entry. I think it creates the greater good.  

No one is required to actually attend classes, for example, at NWCU SoL (they could simply view them, as well, after the fact, but, there's no requirement to do that, either - in first year, one is just required to do the few pass/fail assignments, take and be graded on the midterm, which are pre-requisites to being allowed to order up (with goodly notice to the school, a qualified proctor lined up, etc.) and take the finals (the grade in each of four classes in first year - Contracts, Torts, Criminal Law, and Introduction to Law & Legal Writing (there are optional legal writing classes, but, midterms must've been taken and the pass/fail assignments turned in in order to qualify) - is then based, entirely on those two tests), although those who do participate, either live, or via the discussion boards, can secure as much as a full grade bump for doing so.

The people whom I did "meet" in class, though (and I'm sure there were a ton of first-year students whom I never encountered), seemed, to a person, really smart.

Even people who entered into the program way behind me seemed to have quite a grasp on the material.

Of course, maybe these are the strivers who were also wanting that full-grade participation bump, but, there again we've got the same demographic of those who can get in vs. those who take charge of it and accomplish the task at hand.

In truth, I'm the piker of the former category, masquerading as the latter, but, yes, like an ignoble Tim Ferris who wasn't the greatest kickboxer in the world, but learned the trick that got him a title, I'm getting my little pitons in the crevices of the rock and, by not letting go, eventually am finding that I can, indeed - maybe upon a gust of wind - pull myself up.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lambda School sanantone 5 195 01-13-2019, 08:37 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Physician Assistant School Jesusfreak97 0 119 01-08-2019, 06:24 PM
Last Post: Jesusfreak97
  T.M. Landry Prep School Engaged in Abuse and Fraud sanantone 13 338 12-09-2018, 12:49 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  Personality types and those who go back to school Ideas 25 1,023 06-18-2018, 06:18 AM
Last Post: Life_One
  Seemed like a good deal, Name Brand assoc. School low tuition Unv. of Ark. but not frank.f.franky 9 903 06-17-2018, 03:39 PM
Last Post: elbebopkid
  Think I found a discount list High_Order1 4 438 05-01-2018, 05:11 PM
  This site now looks like an old school BBS on my computer. ELSADDIQ 6 1,174 08-03-2017, 08:10 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Online High School Internships keepsingin 3 680 07-03-2017, 06:48 AM
  total eclipse in the United States clep3705 7 507 04-30-2017, 08:10 PM
Last Post: eriehiker
  Grad School Virtual Fair + Job Virtual Fair yb1 0 308 10-11-2016, 05:25 PM
Last Post: yb1