Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Free College Credit from TEEX!
As of September 2012, TEEX's free cyber security courses are ACE-approved for lower-level credit in Introduction to Computer Security. There are 3 tracks with 3-4 courses each. If you complete all of the courses in one track, you earn 2 college credits. Complete the Non-Technical/General track and you've just completed what's listed by ACE as Computer Security for Everyone. The Technical/IT Professional track is Computer Security for IT Professionals. The Management and Business Professionals track is Computer Security for Business Professionals.

To me, the ACE recommendations are confusing because they recommend credit for Intro to Computer Security for each track. It just sounds so specific instead of just saying something general like computer security without the "intro" in front. TESC doesn't follow ACE recommendations anyway. I completed the non-technical track in 2011, so I would have to do it all over again in order to earn credit. A passing score is now higher than it was before the ACE recommendation.

TEEX TEEX online cyber-security courses approved for college credit
TEEX Information Technology / Online Training
ACE CREDIT | The National Guide to College Credit for Workforce Training
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
I doubt TESC would give 3 UL credits for each of these tracks, but this is what I found in the PLA database.

Ideally, this would be for the business professionals track.
Quote:Computer Security (CIS-344) 3.00 s.h.
This course covers knowledge and understanding associated with the usage of systems security theory, techniques, and practice. The course focus is on applying knowledge to dealing with real-world security issues. Areas covered: RISK Assessment--organization, systems & data asset evaluation, threat characteristics, risk assessment, and dealing with risk. RECOVERING FROM INFORMATION SERVICE INTERRRUPTION--Recoverable storage management, business continuity planning, disaster management. INFORMATION AND SYSTEM SECURITY--telecommunications, database security, cryptography, operating systems, microcomputers and local area net- works, and physical security. SECURITY IN SYSTEM DESIGN--system security objectives and functions, data integrity assurance, life-cycle approach. SECURITY MANAGEMENT--policy setting, implementation, & administration, security awareness, information ethics, personnel issues, etc.

Ideally, this would be for the non-technical/general track.
Quote:Computer Security & Info Theory (CMP-401) 3.00 s.h.
Information and coding, measurement and transmission of information, redundancy, noise, data bank security in government and industry, computer network weaknesses, data encryption.

Ideally, this would be for the technical/IT professional track.
Quote:Network Security (CAP-385) 1.00 s.h.
Design a secure network based on business, management, and network factors; implement user and group policies to tighten security, secure computers and plan a network for internet access; plan, deploy, manage and monitor servers; encryption and secure sites.

The PLA database has nothing else I could find on information security, cybersecurity, information assurance, or just a plain security search.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
how "doable" do you think these might be for those less than technically gifted folks? They sound pretty advanced.
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
I passed all of the courses for the non-technical track just by taking the pretests. Cyber Law and White Collar Crime and Cyber Ethics were easy for me since I had already taken a business law course and several criminal justice courses. The Information Security for Everyone course is also easy for anyone who has basic knowledge on how to keep your computer and personal information secure. If it's still the same, you take a pretest at the beginning to see which modules you need to go through. If you happen to pass all of the sections of the test, you automatically pass the whole course and get your certificate. However, I think a passing score was a 70% back then; it's 80% now. It kind of works like ALEKS except less tedious. I did start one course in the technical track which was pretty advanced, but they provide you with all of the study material you need for the final in the modules. I just didn't have time to finish the course. I would assume that the business track is not that bad for non-technical people either. You learn so much in the technical track, I wouldn't be surprised if it's good preparation for COMPTIA Security+ and Network+.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
This sounds amazing! Does anyone know how this transfers to TESC? I'm going for my associates in computer science right now and just need LL computer classes. If this transfers over well I might be a very happy person. Please let me know or at least how I can find out. Thanks a bunch.
These have only been evaluated for a few months, so I doubt that anyone has tried to transfer these in. So, someone who is enrolled will have to be the guinea pig. If they give you CAP credit, then it probably won't count towards your major for a computer science or BSBA CIS degree. I guess the key is to get COS, CIS, or CMP credit. CAP, however, will work for the AAS in Applied Computer Studies.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Rebel, I did a few of these last year and they were very doable without any reading or actual studying. I just did the exams. Now that these are ACE approved I may go back and repeat them or see if my scores will transfer to ACE. I have my son doing these for his anticipated move to EC's cybersecurity program. I wonder if they will accept them?
Completed 2/09 - 5/13

RHIA Post-Bac Cert - Stephens - 5/13
MHA - Bellevue Univ - 3/12
BSHS - Excelsior 12/10
BSLS - Excelsior 3/10
ASLS - Excelsior 4/09

ECE - A&P - B
ECE - Found. of Gerontology - B
ECE - Ethics: Theory & Practice - B
ECE - Psych. of Adulthood & Aging - A
ECE - Social Psych. - B
ECE - Abnormal Psych. - B
ECE - HR Management - B
ECE - Research Methods of Psych. - B
ECE - Pathophysiology - A

CLEP - American Govt - 58
CLEP - Intro. to Sociology - 63
CLEP - A & I Lit - 70
DSST - Fund. of Counseling - A (65)
DSST - Org. Behavior - A (67)
DSST - Environment & Humanity - A (62)
DSST - Found. of Education - A (64)
DSST - Here's to Your Health - 461 (Pass)
DSST - Substance Abuse - 460 (Pass)
DSST - Principles of Supervision - A (61)
DSST - Lifespan Developmental Psych - A (59)
DSST - Criminal Justice - 443 (Pass)
DSST - MIS - 415 (Pass)
UExcel - Intro. to Psych (Beta)- Pass
ALEKS - College Alg, Stats
Straighterline - Medical Term, Pharmacology I & II
FEMA - PDS + more
sanantone Wrote:These have only been evaluated for a few months, so I doubt that anyone has tried to transfer these in. So, someone who is enrolled will have to be the guinea pig. If they give you CAP credit, then it probably won't count towards your major for a computer science or BSBA CIS degree. I guess the key is to get COS, CIS, or CMP credit. CAP, however, will work for the AAS in Applied Computer Studies.

Thanks again for the info! Since its free and just have to pay for the ACE credit fee I don't mind being a Guinea pig at all. I'll post again here and keep everyone informed.
These look like good classes to add to an AAS. I see that TEEX lets you pass with a 60%. Has anyone seen if a 60% will get you credit with ACE even through ACE says 80% on the description?
I don't think anyone here has tried yet. TEEX probably has two different standards for getting continuing education credit and college credit.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Lightbulb ASU to Launch a Free Global Initiative and enroll 100 million students MNomadic 203 28,660 03-11-2024, 10:55 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Is online college easier now? Vle045 21 1,089 02-26-2024, 10:47 PM
Last Post: Vle045
  People Who Regret Their College Majors Are Sharing What Their Major Was LevelUP 22 1,348 02-26-2024, 07:34 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Diné College: $55 Credit Hour, $660 Full Time (12+ credits) Ares 19 1,721 02-23-2024, 11:14 AM
  Free or affordable Christian Chaplaincy Online Sowak777 4 366 02-21-2024, 06:39 AM
Last Post: The need 2 learn
  Verified College Credit Transfers TINASAM 0 196 02-19-2024, 04:16 PM
Last Post: TINASAM
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 435 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  NH Colby-Sawyer College cut their tuition 62% in 2023 ($46,000 to $17,500) Ares 2 307 02-14-2024, 07:08 AM
Last Post: Ares
  Tohono O’odham Community College: $34.25 Credit Hour! Ares 3 620 02-07-2024, 12:24 PM
  MBA students receive free Apple Vision Pro Imbanewbie 0 246 02-07-2024, 10:10 AM
Last Post: Imbanewbie