Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fulfilling the Natural World requirements:
Question 
Can one of you smart people tell me what allows a computer course to fulfill this requirement? The reason I ask is that I have CIS, CAP, and CMP courses currently in this section, however, I have about eight more of these courses (appx 30 sh) unused. I'm being told that the unused courses don't meet the Natural World requirement but they can't explain to me why. Anyone have any possible insight into this? Thanks.
Is this from an actual Eval done by TESU? If so, CIS & COS courses will count in Natural World, but CAP and CMP shouldn't - they are considered applied rather than theory, and therefore not normally used in that area. The only place they can be used outside of the Free Electives area, is in the BSBA/CIS degree (and possibly in the CS degree although I'm not certain on that).

You would need to list the types of courses by course prefix (CMP, CAP, EDU, etc.) as well as your major - and then we can give you more info.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(02-05-2018, 12:49 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Is this from an actual Eval done by TESU?  If so, CIS & COS courses will count in Natural World, but CAP and CMP shouldn't - they are considered applied rather than theory, and therefore not normally used in that area.  The only place they can be used outside of the Free Electives area, is in the BSBA/CIS degree (and possibly in the CS degree although I'm not certain on that).

You would need to list the types of courses by course prefix (CMP, CAP, EDU, etc.) as well as your major - and then we can give you more info.

Unfortunately it is not the case. Not all CIS & COS will count towards the Natural World.  I suspect the OP and I have similar credits transferred in and evaluated at TESU.   I had many of my CIS not granted towards my general education (Natural World or otherwise).  I did file a request to have them reevaluated and did manage to get a few credits moved, but most stayed in "Other" (aka the abyss of earned college credits).  From what I have surmised, is that they gave me Natural World for courses that were interpreted as Science vs Applied Science - the course classification itself - ie: CIS, COS, CAP or CMP had little impact.   

I did however manage to tack on the ASNSM in Computer Science to my graduation plan, as to not leave those "Other" credits that I worked hard to obtain behind.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

This applies to both the BSBA, CIS and the ASNSM, CS. Courses not allowed include Network Security, Ethical Hacking, Python Programming, etc. The Natural World page lists C Programming as an option here. Why would Python not be? Introduction to Computers works, but, not Introduction to IT. I'm just not understanding the criteria.
One thing for sure - they put CIS/COS and all other computer courses into your AOS FIRST before putting them in the natural world area, so that's going to be part of it.

For sure I can see why Network Security and Ethical Hacking are not going to fit into Natural World. I'm not sure why Python wouldn't work, unless there is such a big difference between C++ and Python that they classify them in a completely different way (I suspect this, but can't really explain what I'm talking about since I don't know enough).

I would go back and ask more questions, and if the person you speak with doesn't know, ask to speak to someone who does - be it their manager, or someone with computer knowledge, or someone else.
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(02-05-2018, 02:08 PM)ELSADDIQ Wrote: This applies to both the BSBA, CIS and the ASNSM, CS. Courses not allowed include Network Security, Ethical Hacking, Python Programming, etc. The Natural World page lists C Programming as an option here. Why would Python not be? Introduction to Computers works, but, not Introduction to IT. I'm just not understanding the criteria.

I transferred in just over 50 computer course credits when I enrolled in TESU, and all I remember is them telling me I still needed to take 'Intro to Computers'.   I eventually gave up the argument and took it through Study.com while I had the Guardian scholarship - they want what they want.   I'm hopeful I have finally figured out what it is they do want Smile
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

Yeah, I have an abundance of computer courses with more coming in. It's just odd seeing so many not used when they seem to be closely related to others that are acceptable. AOS isn't an issue. These are courses left after filling the AOS.

They want what they want.
I am SURE they have a way of breaking out what goes where, and have a reason for it, but they haven't come up with a good way of explaining it, or getting the info down to the level of people who actually interact with students.
(02-05-2018, 02:08 PM)ELSADDIQ Wrote: This applies to both the BSBA, CIS and the ASNSM, CS. Courses not allowed include Network Security, Ethical Hacking, Python Programming, etc. The Natural World page lists C Programming as an option here. Why would Python not be? Introduction to Computers works, but, not Introduction to IT. I'm just not understanding the criteria.

They probably consider python a "scripting language" and therefore put in on the "practical" side rather than the "science" side of the ledger
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
Well if that's the case, after reviewing the list, there is nothing "sciency" about Management Information Systems, Computer Concepts and Applications, or Database Management. I would place each of those on the practical side.

I don't expect to have any issue meeting the requirement, I just found it to be odd.

When I asked for clarification or an explanation, I was told to submit the course descriptions for further review. Still denied with no further explanation about what's expected.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Question about TESU UL Requirements mysonx3 1 1,736 08-21-2018, 10:09 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Help me fill degree requirements TESU BS NEET MNomadic 10 3,056 08-08-2018, 12:31 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Contact an advisor requirements at TESU Johmford 2 1,253 06-22-2018, 01:39 PM
Last Post: Johmford
  Tesu bals requirements??? cali86 9 2,002 04-26-2018, 09:20 PM
Last Post: Tripletmom
  Does anyone have a detailed list of courses for EC's BA in Natural Sciences? Pelican 3 1,339 03-26-2018, 10:09 AM
Last Post: Yenisei
  TESU BALS Graduation requirements LuluBishus 11 2,787 03-13-2018, 03:06 PM
Last Post: CISbender
  Recommendations for TESU's "Understanding the Physical and Natural World"? leland.kirk 7 1,872 02-15-2018, 09:20 AM
Last Post: davewill
  Where are all the UL 'Natural Science' classes? scout2family 11 2,944 01-31-2018, 03:32 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Excelsior Natural Science Kima 0 946 01-28-2018, 02:32 PM
Last Post: Kima
  In a double major, can credit requirements overlap? Pelican 2 1,710 01-16-2018, 08:44 PM
Last Post: Pelican