Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GPA Question
sirjake Wrote:What if you retake a Dantes or CLEP where you weren't satisfied with your score? I.e., you enroll and have all of your credits sent, but that C in macroeconomics that you know you could have done well enough to get an A if you had studied for more than two days is just eating at you. If you retake it and score well enough for an A, do they count only the A or do they count both? Or is it (even worse) that only the lower score counts?

I hope it will never matter for me, but I'd like to know.

Good question sirjake. Honestly, that thought never crossed my mind so I don't know for sure.

I'm of the "just say thank you" mindset. Test is passed, 3 hours down. So what if it wasn't a slam dunk, the next one can be. Smile
[COLOR="Purple"][SIZE="2"]
Best of luck,
Joanne [/size]
[SIZE="1"]
31 hours traditional schooling
11 Microsoft exams, 1 Linux+, 2 ICCP's, 6 CLEP's, 12 DSSTs, and 6 ECE's
[/SIZE][/COLOR]
[COLOR="Plum"][SIZE="1"][SIZE="3"]Degree Completed!
BS in Liberal Studies[/SIZE]
[/SIZE][/COLOR]
ShotoJuku Wrote:[SIZE="2"]In a nut shell - when you APPLY to Excelsior you submit ALL of your transcripts to them and they in turn ONLY ACCEPT those that are a C or better (2.0 or above).

There is no transfer fee other then when you ENROLL you pay the flat fee that INCLUDES all of the 2.0 or higher credits being added on to what you call a status report which is in and of itself a rolling transcript summary.

So, your initial GPA will be the average of all of your accepted credits at 2.0 or better and can go up or down after that with every successive class or exam that you PASS after that. However not all exams receive letter grades but just a "P" for pass and they do not affect you GPA.[/SIZE]

Just a quick note, they did accept a D (1.0) credit I had. It's since been replaced with a duplicative credit I got an A on. I'm not sure what the official policy is on transfering in a D, I just not know I had one on my status report for a while.
sirjake Wrote:What if you retake a Dantes or CLEP where you weren't satisfied with your score? I.e., you enroll and have all of your credits sent, but that C in macroeconomics that you know you could have done well enough to get an A if you had studied for more than two days is just eating at you. If you retake it and score well enough for an A, do they count only the A or do they count both? Or is it (even worse) that only the lower score counts?

I hope it will never matter for me, but I'd like to know.
This is a legitimate question. I took the American Gov't CLEP in Feb-06 thinking it was a Pass/Fail exam, and when I got home I realized it was graded, and I got a B. I really wanted an A!!!! I plan on retaking the exam after the 6 months required, but I just assumed they'd replace the B with the A, but now I don't know.

I'm sending advisement (yet another) e-mail asking this. Smile
[SIZE="1"]Ana
[COLOR="DarkRed"]96 credits completed (93 by exam)
BS in General Business, Excelsior College (33 credits remaining)
Next exams: DSST Statistics, DSST Business Law 2
Recently taken: DSST Drug/Alcohol (61), CLEP French (63), ECE Gerontology (B Sad), DSST MIS (65), DSST Counseling (54), DSST Ethics (63)[/SIZE][/COLOR]
anar579 Wrote:This is a legitimate question. I took the American Gov't CLEP in Feb-06 thinking it was a Pass/Fail exam, and when I got home I realized it was graded, and I got a B. I really wanted an A!!!! I plan on retaking the exam after the 6 months required, but I just assumed they'd replace the B with the A, but now I don't know.

I'm sending advisement (yet another) e-mail asking this. Smile

Ana,

When you request your transcript from CLEP, they will automatically report ONLY the HIGHEST score you received on each exam. It is as if the lower score never happened.

Similarly, Excelsior will register the highest score you received for the same exam on your transcript. If you took it last week and scored a 45, but then take the exact same exam in six months and score a 65, ONLY the 65 will count.

I scored a 68 on American Government and thought I had done fantastic. Then I noticed that Excelsior requires a whopping "69" for an 'A' on this course. As a result, I have one 'B' so far (even though a 68 would be a high 'A' on ANY other exam).

I intend to either retake the exam, or replace it with a different exam altogether (and suppress the AG score) so that I won't have a B on my transcript.

Another benefit of earning a degree through testing. :p
My name is Rob

Total Credits: 142 (12 not used).
[SIZE=1]GPA: 4.0
[/SIZE]
snazzlefrag Wrote:Ana,

When you request your transcript from CLEP, they will automatically report ONLY the HIGHEST score you received on each exam. It is as if the lower score never happened.

Similarly, Excelsior will register the highest score you received for the same exam on your transcript. If you took it last week and scored a 45, but then take the exact same exam in six months and score a 65, ONLY the 65 will count.

I scored a 68 on American Government and thought I had done fantastic. Then I noticed that Excelsior requires a whopping "69" for an 'A' on this course. As a result, I have one 'B' so far (even though a 68 would be a high 'A' on ANY other exam).

I intend to either retake the exam, or replace it with a different exam altogether (and suppress the AG score) so that I won't have a B on my transcript.

Another benefit of earning a degree through testing. :p
Rob,
Thanks for the info. I guess we had the same problem with this exam!

Ahh, so nice to not have to wait until Monday to get a response from advisement. hilarious
[SIZE="1"]Ana
[COLOR="DarkRed"]96 credits completed (93 by exam)
BS in General Business, Excelsior College (33 credits remaining)
Next exams: DSST Statistics, DSST Business Law 2
Recently taken: DSST Drug/Alcohol (61), CLEP French (63), ECE Gerontology (B Sad), DSST MIS (65), DSST Counseling (54), DSST Ethics (63)[/SIZE][/COLOR]
anar579 Wrote:Rob,
Thanks for the info. I guess we had the same problem with this exam!

Ahh, so nice to not have to wait until Monday to get a response from advisement. hilarious

I am still befuddled as to why Excelsior requires a 69 for an 'A' on the AG exam. Most other exams require only high 50's to low 60's. I studied really hard and thought I did really well on that exam. A 68 is nothing to sneer at. It was SUCH a frustration that it was only worth a B.

I doubt I will take this exam again. I think I will simply toss it and take a more reasonable exam. I currently have all A's except for that one exam.

Of course, if I happen to get several more B's before I am finished with my degree, then the B in AG will be a moot point...but I'm not planning on it!
Smile
My name is Rob

[/SIZE]
snazzlefrag Wrote:I am still befuddled as to why Excelsior requires a 69 for an 'A' on the AG exam. Most other exams require only high 50's to low 60's. I studied really hard and thought I did really well on that exam. A 68 is nothing to sneer at. It was SUCH a frustration that it was only worth a B.

I doubt I will take this exam again. I think I will simply toss it and take a more reasonable exam. I currently have all A's except for that one exam.

Of course, if I happen to get several more B's before I am finished with my degree, then the B in AG will be a moot point...but I'm not planning on it!
Smile
that is my plan. my husband and i took this test 4/25 and scored within a point of each other, but only a B. not as high as snazzlefrag, congrats on your score. bummer it's only 1 point from an A. my husband is like libartmgr, also of the "just say thank you" mindset and moves on. i'm like ana and snazzle, i really wanted an A. add my husband and me to the befuddled list on why excelsior demands a 69 for an A for this test. who was taking this test - the president? wait, then for sure we all would have gotten A's. hilarious
Dawn
Taking the Road Less Traveled
The Journey of A Thousand Miles Starts with The First CLEP

BS-Psychology - Excelsior College
Enrolled in the School of Business, BS in Accounting
After MIS I'll be halfway there!
72 CLEP Credits, 21 DSST Credits, 25 ECE Credits (Including Inf Lit), 6 TESC Credits, 2 FEMA Credits = 126 Total
Withholding 6 Credits for Accounting = 120 for Psychology
12 credits completed toward my accounting degree
yutzyj Wrote:who was taking this test - the president? wait, then for sure we all would have gotten A's. hilarious

::Snicker::

yutzyj made a funny!

I just about spat my Rice Crispies all over my monitor!

Not that I would ever say anything untoward about our leader... coz... like... well... you never know who's listening in!

[Hi Mr NSA Guy! We all sure do love our President here on this board, and we wholeheartedly support him in all he does. Long Live the King...erm...I mean...the President.]

::Snicker::

Snazzlefrag made a funny!
My name is Rob

[/SIZE]
snazzlefrag Wrote:::Snicker::

Snazzlefrag made a funny!
snazzledazzle makes lots of funnies! hilarious i still owe you one for my signature correction.
Dawn
Taking the Road Less Traveled
The Journey of A Thousand Miles Starts with The First CLEP

BS-Psychology - Excelsior College
Enrolled in the School of Business, BS in Accounting
After MIS I'll be halfway there!
72 CLEP Credits, 21 DSST Credits, 25 ECE Credits (Including Inf Lit), 6 TESC Credits, 2 FEMA Credits = 126 Total
Withholding 6 Credits for Accounting = 120 for Psychology
12 credits completed toward my accounting degree
So how do you "read" a CLEP test for a grade?

I mean I just finished US History II, 1865-present and got a 63. I know I have 3 credits.. but no grade score.
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"]______________________________________________
Frank
3 More Credits to Go
1 Dantes Test Down/1 Clep Test Down
CCAF Audiovisual Production
1 More CLEPSmile
Then its on to National American University, Applied Management.. 12 Credits away from AAS.
[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  RBA degree question Jennr2z 19 3,144 12-14-2023, 04:50 PM
Last Post: staceydiane
  Question about BYU Independent Study Amberlinjeanne 4 1,322 09-05-2023, 06:47 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  EdX MicroBachelors letter grade question cardiacclep 3 609 12-28-2022, 08:17 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Transferology question - how to find ACE and NCCRS? katsiki 4 540 10-09-2022, 01:37 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Question about Transferring Credits Nelson Lin 3 726 09-17-2022, 02:17 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  Question about the 1 credit RA self-paced class from ASU sparkling 2 1,196 08-24-2022, 03:41 PM
Last Post: sparkling
  ACTFL signup question(s) Insert Name 9 949 06-29-2022, 09:39 PM
Last Post: Insert Name
  ACTFL question Jennr2z 5 814 06-04-2022, 06:51 PM
Last Post: Jennr2z
  XAMK question k-k-k-katy 62 7,388 04-23-2022, 02:32 AM
Last Post: MrPanda
  ACTFL- silly question... uncapentin 10 1,126 02-22-2022, 10:09 PM
Last Post: dfrecore